Menu

I went to a Steve & Teri Maxwell workshop last night.

There is a danger in making your own application on the same plane as the Biblical principles you derived it from. This is what happens with things like t.v. watching, sports, wearing of dresses etc. The principles of "filling your mind with good and not evil", of having "right priorities" and of "modesty" are in the Bible. But not everyone is going to apply those principles in exactly the same way to their unique circumstances. I think it would be wise for those reading or learning from other Christians to be aware of that.

That's exactly it. There is a difference between principles and methods, as Nancy Wilson says. Principles are the underlying Biblical teaching (modesty, etc.) Methods are the way each person is called to live that teaching out. If you see your method as if it was the principle, you isolate yourself form other believers and you risk missing teaching your dc what is really, really important.

Everyone has to find their place along the continuum from "never leaves the house, speak only to our own family" and "don't protect our dc at all or teach them as Scripture commands." If you are hiding out at that first end because you think it is safe, I personally think you misunderstand Christianity. I read the New Testament, and I don't see a call to live a safe life, I see a call to go out into the world and spread His Kingdom as He leads me. We have to protect and prepare our dc for this (which is why I disagree with those who put dc into ps all their lives to be salt and light,) but you can find a balance. My ultimate goal in raising dc is not good Christians, it is useful Christians. I think that makes a difference in how you raise them.

That is not necessarily a contradicton to me. It depends on why you are opposed to mothers working, I suppose. In the work that Terri does, she is still accountable to her husband instead of someone else, the Maxwell's can determine her schedule and how much time it takes away from their family, and she is spending time with Steve and (at least when I have seen her speak) her dc doing it. I think it is very, very different from a job outside the home.

Yes, I see how it could be seen that way. What you don't know is that on their message board (where they moderated every single post and towards the end edited them at will), they refused to allow any mom to mention working even if it met those conditions. A mom could not mention sewing in her home, for instance.

Either you choose a very walled-off existence with no outside friends, only Christian books, self-employment, and home church, or you prepare your children to deal with the outside world by openly looking at secular philosophy and history, by thoughtful exposure to others, and by discussing the ugly choices that some people make and the consequences of that.

I personally believe that the latter is more scriptural and practical in the long run.

What is interesting is that when I saw them, they discussed that the men/older boys worked regularly in a homeless shelter.

I think that they do some exposure, but are EXTREMELY cautious about it. Like, the women/girls did not go because majority of the people at this particular shelter were male and Steve and Teri felt it best that only the older men/boys go.

They also discussed quite a bit about Teri's depression. I discussed it with her after as well because their openness and honesty about such struggles has been such a blessing in my life.

I guess I should have said it's a personal conviction for us as well. We don't really see SS and youth group as being Biblical. Just from our research of the Bible and the topic. :)

I don't think it's a sin or anything it's just not the vision God has given us for our family.

This is how we feel as well.

I was a Sunday school teacher for a short time and it just did not sit right with me. I was doing what I believed the parents should be doing or in some cases doing nothing at all because the program had me as a glorified babysitter at times.

I have NO issue with others who use and love such programs, but they are not for my family.

Does anyone know if the Maxwells were influenced by the teachings of Bill Gothard? I know many dear families who are living exactly this way. As strong as the family unit appears to be, many times it is ironically fragile if anything upsets the 'perfect' balance. My heart goes out the the moms who have so very much weight upon their dear shoulders. :grouphug:

Can you elaborate? You can pm me if you want. :)

That's exactly it. There is a difference between principles and methods, as Nancy Wilson says. Principles are the underlying Biblical teaching (modesty, etc.) Methods are the way each person is called to live that teaching out. If you see your method as if it was the principle, you isolate yourself form other believers and you risk missing teaching your dc what is really, really important.

Everyone has to find their place along the continuum from "never leaves the house, speak only to our own family" and "don't protect our dc at all or teach them as Scripture commands." If you are hiding out at that first end because you think it is safe, I personally think you misunderstand Christianity. I read the New Testament, and I don't see a call to live a safe life, I see a call to go out into the world and spread His Kingdom as He leads me. We have to protect and prepare our dc for this (which is why I disagree with those who put dc into ps all their lives to be salt and light,) but you can find a balance. My ultimate goal in raising dc is not good Christians, it is useful Christians. I think that makes a difference in how you raise them.

LOVE how you explained this! Thanks :)

For any Christian author or person with influence, a lot depends on how you approach Scripture, and what parameters you put on application of Scripture. There is a danger in making your own application on the same plane as the Biblical principles you derived it from. This is what happens with things like t.v. watching, sports, wearing of dresses etc. The principles of "filling your mind with good and not evil", of having "right priorities" and of "modesty" are in the Bible. But not everyone is going to apply those principles in exactly the same way to their unique circumstances. I think it would be wise for those reading or learning from other Christians to be aware of that.

I read an article recently (maybe in Tabletalk magazine?) that discussed "works righteousness" and what you've written sounds like a good definition of it - taking your personal methods of living out Biblical principles and insisting that everyone else act in the same manner and therefore gain righteousness.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a really "old" post, but I feel it is worth an udpate seeing how the Maxwell family still has conferences and I know people are doing research before attending and coming across this board.

We first heard of them almost 3 years ago. We were at a homeschool conference and our 9yr old daughter at that time saw a book with a golden retriever on the cover at a vendor's booth. We had recently moved and left a beloved golden retriever behind so she was particularly attracted to it. After a quick scan, we bought it for her. This was the first in the series of the Moody books. She really enjoyed the book and when we heard they would be in a nearby town doing a conference, we went (the conference was near the end of 2012).

We enjoyed the conference very much, finding it both challenging and encouraging. Seeing their family interaction, and actually speaking with them all was such a blessing for us. A little over a year later we went to another one of their conferences.

They get many, many emails from people who are heart-broken over their relationship with a spouse and/or their children. We could see how the Maxwell's genuinely care for these families and ours and desire to help spare people from that and help people change course who are in that situation or heading down that path.

It seemed very clear to us they were not preaching a thou-shalt message, but sharing from their heart and pleading for us to consider it well. We did not feel any judgmental type of attitude coming from them. Just a desire to share their experience and knowledge and encourage us to consider and live intentionally and with purpse in what we choose to do (I do believe they share it strongly, but because they believe so strongly about it and care about people so much).

A couple of months ago we went and spent a weekend in their home. 6 kids are still living there, the others live very close by. We went to church with them as well, in the assisted living facility. There were at least 8 families there in addition to all the residents. They spent a lot of time visiting with the elderly before and after the service. It is truly a ministry opportunity for them. There are no expenses so they do not take any collection. Instead they encourage everyone to support other missionaries, Gospel for Asia, the needy around them, and so on. This is especially neat to me, as they could certainly justify collecting for their sound equipment, the preaching of the word, and the music ministers. But, it's beautiful that it is just their way of ministering as a family and freeing up all those funds to go out into other areas of ministry.

During our stay with them we did some work together, ate many meals together, talked and shared many things together, went to church together, ministered together, and their kids even played games with our kids :)

They are very evangelistic. They minister in many ways to their neighbors and people they meet in public at grocery stores and such.

Their children have many skills, and are extremely talented in many things, from construction, to music, to computers, to cooking...and it is not like certain skill set for the boys and certain skill set for the girls...they were all doing it all.

I understand some people just don't get them and their views. I understand people's concerns. I realize their message can be seen as judgmental and extreme. However, our experience is such that we greatly value and appreciate their ministry and we have some pretty close and recent first-hand experience to say their family has made some decisions that are worth considering.

• 3 months later...

I highly suggest listening to the homeschooling in real life (homeschoolingirl) podcast. All of them a great, but really pay attention to the ones about hope shifting. They address the issue of kids leaving the faith. Wounderful stuff

I already have, and yes they were terrific.  I probably should clarify…..  we don't follow the Maxwells.   I wasn't meaning my immediate family.