Menu

More science

Mom-ninja.

I am using NOEO Bio 1 right now.

I'm looking at RS4K and R.E.A.L to compare to NOEO.

1. Do either RS4K or REAL use other books beside the text as NOEO does?

2. Do either talk about important scientists?

3. Are the materials *really* readily available for the experiements?

My main reason for using NOEO was because I could buy the bundle of experiements ready to go with no planning on my part. However, I do like all the supplemental reading, and that we are introduced to important scientists.

I haven't used R.E.A.L science, but the samples show book lists.

I missed it then when I looked at samples.

We've used RS4K Chem 1. There is one text, no additional readings, and scientists are not covered. The materials were easy to find.

Thanks.

So far I like NOEO because of the supplemental readings and introduction to scientists.

Thanks for that comparison.

I'm also pretty happy with NOEO. I just thought maybe I should check out REAL and RS4K because everyone seems to rave about them. Plus, RS4K is recommended in WTM.

It seems though that NOEO is where I'll remain happy. You never know though if you don't look at other stuff. I like looking at other stuff....you never know if there's something even better! :tongue_smilie:

You seemed to be asking for it. :)

And, since I am writing a new history curriculum, I wanted to make sure and promote someone's new science curriculum. No dealer posts and pay it forward, etc. ;)

Thanks Carmen! What's your new history curriculum? I'd love to hear more about it.

As for Elemental Science, if you got any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks Carmen! What's your new history curriculum? I'd love to hear more about it.

As for Elemental Science, if you got any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

From what I see on your site, you've done an amazing job. I became so excited to use it while I was looking at it. :D

From what I see on your site, you've done an amazing job. I became so excited to use it while I was looking at it. :D

Thank you! We've enjoyed it, but then again I wrote it for me ;).

Beth-

I've tried to keep it affordable so that more people could benefit from it. It's still new, so there aren't a ton of people out there using it yet. That said, there is a sample with the pages completed on the biology page of the website and you can go to the yahoo group(link below) to get more answers also. Hope that helps!

Edited by Pata

Wow- that elemental science looks great. And cheap! How do you like it overall?

That is inexpensive!! Wow. I didn't notice the price before. It does make sense, to a degree, because TWTM education revolves around history and literature, with science taking much less time. I had someone interested in joining my "TWTM in a box" idea with science and when we found this, well... it has already been done. We said phooey, this looks too good to compete with. :lol: I haven't used it, but I did link a review from someone who has. I will probably be interested in Physics, if you are planning that, Paige.

Here is one: how do you have the list of things for experiments broken down? Is there one master list at the beginning, weekly, daily, all 3?

My history curriculum is secular SOTW set out the way TWTM says to do it, 3 days a week. (I did take SOTW slightly out of order, mostly b/c their are 42 chapters, so I had to combine some things to get it down to less than 43 weeks.) I have 4 levels planned, and I am almost halfway done with the first two for SOTW 1. The first level has plenty of picture books. Some of these are harder to obtain or more expensive if you don't use the library, so the second level is for the same age group, etc., but all books are available at Amazon.com and I tried to make sure that they were affordable. Every book recommended has been read and includes notes about anything that may need editing. There are notebooking pages, usually 2 per week. And maps and activities, of course. There are timeline activities as part of the notebooking pages and I am planning free instructions for a large timeline. I am trying to get a different spine available too, but I received "Little History of the World" in the mail yesterday, and I am not happy with it. :glare:

It is set apart from HO in that HO does not schedule extra reading above the spines, it is suggested just like in the SOTW AG. In addition, HO and SOTW AG are multi-level, making some projects and reading suggestions inapprpriate for the K-2 level, IMO, so I set about making sure that all of my suggestions were age-appropriate. I am hoping to have all of my samples done for my reviewers by August, and I will still have to finish out the comprehension questions, mapping, and notebooking at that point, for release in January. I also have plans for a Geography program called Cultures and Creatures.

Carmen-

I am planning on writing Physics for the Grammar Stage, hopefully it will be finished and ready to release early in 2010. After that, I'm not sure if I'm going to write the Logic Stage levels or not. I guess that will depend on interest.

As for the experiment list, there is a list at the beginning of the teacher's guide that lists all the materials by week, then on each weekly plan sheet the materials for that week are listed. If there's more than one experiment in a week the materials are separated by the day they are needed.

Your history program sounds great! This is exactly what I felt was lacking from HO. Can't wait to see what you've put together...

looks great! I seriously considering ordering it for my dd who will be in 3rd grade next year. I want science to be fun and informative (but fun mostly) and, Pata, it looks like your curriculum will give me that.

Val

looks great! I seriously considering ordering it for my dd who will be in 3rd grade next year. I want science to be fun and informative (but fun mostly) and, Pata, it looks like your curriculum will give me that.

Val

Thanks! Glad you liked what you saw :D.