Menu

Kindle question...

If I have a kindle can I get all the free books, like Gutenberg.org, or the zillions of other ebooks I have onto it? I have things like the A2 curriculum and love oldfashionededucation.com, but I hate printing it all out. Would this be the solution?

I know I am way, way behind the times, but I just saw one of these at the airport and if I could get all my ebooks onto that thing I know my life would be so much easier.

Any input about its use in your homeschool?:bigear:

many of the project g books have already been converted to kindle format, & the plan is to eventually do them all - - you can order them (free) directly from amazon.

if the one you want isn't in kindle format yet, you can get it converted for free; it just involves an email and downloading to the kindle.

if the one you want isn't in kindle format yet, you can get it converted for free; it just involves an email and downloading to the kindle.

I've read that you can put any pdf file on the kindle - that's one of the reasons I really want one. Is that not true? They have to be in a special format for the kindle?

I've read that you can put any pdf file on the kindle - that's one of the reasons I really want one. Is that not true? They have to be in a special format for the kindle?

They can be in kindle format or in txt, I believe. pdf docs must be emailed to amazon, and they will format and email them back to you (or you can pay ten cents and download it wirelessly).

you cannot just use a pdf doc, but the conversion is pretty quick and painless.

I found this discussion about free books for the Kindle & where to find them helpful. If you're willing to wade through it, there are many posts explaining exactly how to do it from the different sites. Here's another site that lists places for free Kindle books. You can also find good information at Kindle Boards. Amazon has also started carrying a lot of the classics for free. This is especially nice because if you buy it from Amazon (even if it's free), they will store it for you. You can remove it from your Kindle, and then if you decide you want to read it again, you just go to the "manage my Kindle" section at Amazon & have it moved back onto your Kindle.

Apparently Amazon is charging for the conversion of files to Kindle format (this has always been their policy, but previously people said they weren't actually being charged). My understanding is that you can still convert files free by sending them to <your kindle name> @ free.kindle.com. They convert the file & email it to you, and then you can use the USB cable to transfer it to your Kindle. I haven't tried it yet, though, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Hope this helps!

Apparently Amazon is charging for the conversion of files to Kindle format (this has always been their policy, but previously people said they weren't actually being charged). My understanding is that you can still convert files free by sending them to <your kindle name> @ free.kindle.com. They convert the file & email it to you, and then you can use the USB cable to transfer it to your Kindle. I haven't tried it yet, though, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Yes, that is the way you convert files for free on the kindle. I've done it several times, no problems.

If you don't want to use the USB cable to transfer, you can pay the fee per document and do it wirelessly. It's like ten or twenty cents per document, not some huge fee.