Menu

Math for a super-duper math phobic mom?

Wildwood

Hi!

I am wondering what you think is the best math program to help me to teach math to my daughter? Math is by far my weakest subject area, and I don't just mean that it is difficult for me to get through, it is almost like a foreign language to me. I believe that I was just not given the gift of a math-minded brain and I will never feel comfortable with the subject.

I was the girl in public school who was on pins and needles when the teacher was going over math problems on the board. I was the girl who froze when the teacher called upon me to solve the math program!

Anyway, I am wondering which programs will completely hold my hand so that I can effectively teach my daughter (and myself!) math through the grades. Perhaps something very scripted that completely spells out how a problem is solved.

Good news is that although my daughter is just five, I can already tell that she has her Daddy's gift for numbers and problem solving in the math area.

She is already pointing out things to me!

Right now we are using Singapore (would be happy to stick with it), but I wonder how helpful it will be to me in the coming years as far as the teacher guide really spelling things out for me.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I am very phobic when it comes to teaching math too. We have been using Math U See for several months now and we all love it! It is very, very easy to teach. I watch the DVD and see how Mr. Demme teaches the lesson. In Primer and Alpha the DVD lesson is only a few minutes long. We watch the video on Monday, and then spend the rest of the week doing one worksheet a day (you could go faster if you wanted to). We hardly ever spend more than 10-20 minutes on math a day. All my kids are learning math very well with Math U See. My son is very good at math, and my dd(9) struggles in math due to her learning disabilities; but the program is great for both of them.

Teaching Textbooks does just that. The lessons are on the computer with a voice teaching the lessons while the problems are done on a virtual chalboard. There is the option to view an explanation for every single problem. So if you got one wrong, or didn't understand, it takes you step by step on how to solve the problem. It is completely self teaching. Although I have heard parents say that when they left their children to do it totally alone, they sometimes cheated.

That's never been an issue at our home, but I do go in and check up on their work and see if they have any questions. There is a gradebook that shows you exactly what problems they've missed so you can see if they have any weak areas.

I must warn you that TT has a big love/hate relationship with homeschoolers. Some people really love it, and others think it's not rigorous enough. I would say if rigor is a concern, then just start earlier. People say that you should work a level or two ahead. So in second grade she could work on TT3 or even TT4. There are online placement tests that will help you determine.

I used singapore until 3rd grade (lightly) and am starting TT4 with my 4th grader. My older son uses it too, but we also supplement with Life of Fred. I believe in a living math approach, so we have math all over the place (books, games, etc). So they get exposed to math more than just in their curriculum.

Anywho, I hope that helps. We have been so pleased with Teaching Textbooks. I would highly recommend it. But I know not everyone would.

Smiles,

Shalynn:001_smile:

Well, I would say the good news is Singapore is pretty easy and straightforward for a few more years yet. I am sure you can work with her through third grade. Maybe 4B things might start getting tricky as far as math thinking. After that the good news is the teachers guide and/or instructors guides are pretty thorough and Singapore and the SingaporeMath.com people produce many good and useful books (this and this and this) and have a forum on the website to answer questions and provide help. If you like the program and she is doing well with it I see no reason you can't get through elementary school with it. And, if dad is mathy, is there a reason he can't do a lesson every now and then when she is older?

Alternatively, there are video/CD programs available. The one I know about starts in 4th grade - Teaching Textbooks.

One last thing - maybe the math phobia is partly caused by the awful curriculum and methods used in the 60's-80's. That little experiment caused a lot of people to think they hated or were bad at math.

Thank you!

I actually have MUS Primer and have used some of it with my dd. It was one of the first programs that I purchased and the only reason we stopped is because I did not think my dd was quite ready for the place value lesson at the time. I can definitely start it up again at this point. I will certainly consider it for long term use.

I have never considered TT, but have heard about it in passing many times. I will gladly take a look at it.

I appreciate all of the information about SM, I really had no idea all of the resources available to "get me through" it. Thank you for the links.

One last thing - maybe the math phobia is partly caused by the awful curriculum and methods used in the 60's-80's. That little experiment caused a lot of people to think they hated or were bad at math.

So that's what is wrong with me! :D I graduated in 87' from a tiny private christian school.

Hi!

I am wondering what you think is the best math program to help me to teach math to my daughter? Math is by far my weakest subject area, and I don't just mean that it is difficult for me to get through, it is almost like a foreign language to me. I believe that I was just not given the gift of a math-minded brain and I will never feel comfortable with the subject.

I was the girl in public school who was on pins and needles when the teacher was going over math problems on the board. I was the girl who froze when the teacher called upon me to solve the math program!

Anyway, I am wondering which programs will completely hold my hand so that I can effectively teach my daughter (and myself!) math through the grades. Perhaps something very scripted that completely spells out how a problem is solved.

Good news is that although my daughter is just five, I can already tell that she has her Daddy's gift for numbers and problem solving in the math area.

She is already pointing out things to me!

Right now we are using Singapore (would be happy to stick with it), but I wonder how helpful it will be to me in the coming years as far as the teacher guide really spelling things out for me.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

:grouphug: This is the reason I didn't pick Singapore. I know I needed more help. I'm glad I didn't, because ds so far seems to be minded the same way I am. We're very happy using MCP Math because it goes in a sequential fashion, is no-nonsense and has a great teacher's manual. I use this is in combination with Miquon Math, as ds and I both enjoy the discovery learning approach (we're big picture and ideas kind of people). However, I wanted the traditional program (MCP) to be our spine so to speak.

Okay, MCP, will look it over. Thank you!

Don't know if I should begin a new post here...

wondering about Abeka, CLE, and R&S.

How helpful are the TM's?

Do they just guide you through the lesson or do they show you how to explain the problems?

Thank you, I may start a new thread concerning the math mentioned above if this post gets buried.

Don't know if I should begin a new post here...

wondering about Abeka, CLE, and R&S.

How helpful are the TM's?

Do they just guide you through the lesson or do they show you how to explain the problems?

Thank you, I may start a new thread concerning the math mentioned above if this post gets buried.

and the TM is excellent. Call R&S and they will send you samples.

I HIGHLY recommend that you TEACH math - if you use something that teaches math for you (TT or any dvd math), you're likely to get left behind.

CLE math is excellent but I didn't use it until grade 5 (prior to that we used R&S).

Don't be afraid of math due to your childhood. Math is very different when you learn it as an adult along with your dc.

Edited by MIch elle

What sort of a learner are you?

I am very logical, so Singapore (with the HIG's) was a perfect fit for me. For my son, I had to supplement with home made manipulatives--but it was no big deal.

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum is an excellent guide for just this sort of thing.

By the by--finding a curriculum for YOU is the perfect thing to do.

Something I want to add: If you're used to Singapore Math, you may think MCP Math looks boring, as only two or three colors are used. This works great for my ds, who's easily distracted (me too -- hehe), but for other dc who have to be with pretty colored pages it may not work for you.

Here's a sample from the Level B Teacher's Manual to give you an idea. Here's another from Level E so you can see how difficult it gets. As you can see the lessons are scripted and everything is pretty much pick up and go. I love the mental math to get ds' brains in gear for mathematical thinking. In level A I made my own counters from 1-20 cutting up index cards in half, and using stuff around the house to teach the concepts. This has been working really well for me. This is someone who failed College Algebra no less than three times in college :tongue_smilie: and has had teachers tell her (from two different countries) that there are people who can do math, and other who simply can't. According to them, I fall in the latter category. I don't believe this anymore, and this time I'm going to rewrite the script so to speak and relearn concepts as an adult with ds and dd.

Since your child is 5 I would recommend Math U See.

Good general teaching tips in Ruth Beechick's book "The Three R's" (about 30 pages of how to teach math to kids from birth through end of grade 3, very reassuring book not scary.

My older child switched this year from Math U See to Teaching Textbooks (uses computer to teach lessons). It is weird now as I have no part in teaching him math. The thing about TT right now the earliest grade is 5 so that doesn't help kids in prek-grade 4.

Can't recommend MUS highly enough. It is in line with Ruth Beechick's idea of building concrete knowledge first then moving to abstract thinking when they 'get' what the operations are doing.

Thank you all!

I will consider everything recommended/mentioned here. I really appreciate all of you taking the time out to offer information and opinions.

You all bring up good points that I had not even considered before, such as not fearing math and that I can learn it along with my child. I have a horrible math background/foundation, but I believe that I am capable of learning it now as an adult. Sounds really silly, but I just never looked at it that way because I am so caught up in making sure my daughter has a solid education in math. It just looks like I am going to have to consider she and I both in this math journey. Homeschooling is a family affair after all!

Interesting, how one little piece of advice sort of shifts your whole attitude about something.

Thanks for the lightbulb moment!

If you have the time, my personal favorite would be to work ahead of your child in the same curriculum to relearn the math that you didn't in school. This would have the advantage that you'd gain a familiarity with methods used by the curriculum. You might even discover that you're not as bad at math as you think, but just badly taught early on. :)

If you have the time, my personal favorite would be to work ahead of your child in the same curriculum to relearn the math that you didn't in school. This would have the advantage that you'd gain a familiarity with methods used by the curriculum. You might even discover that you're not as bad at math as you think, but just badly taught early on. :)

Kiana, this is a super idea! I think that would allow me to feel less pressure as we move forward.

I'm telling ya', these simple suggestions are exactly what I need to hear right now.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat you are. I know exactly what you are saying. Math is the one subject that I fear teaching in later grades. That's why I stpped using Singapore. I knew I would have trouble when dd got to higher math. We are using MUS. My dd is in Beta. I chose MUS because I have a teacher teaching me how to teach my child. What I have found though is dd likes to watch with me so we both learn the material better. Of course I can do anything in Beta but the DVD does it better. :001_smile:

Sandy

After much research, this math phobic mom chose RightStart Math for her family. And I am REALLY enjoying it so far! One reason I chose it over Singapore was that I like the way the RightStart manual walks me through the entire lesson, leading my child to discover mathematical concepts. RightStart's activities are so clever and beautifully put together, and the manual is so clearly written. Also, we are really enjoying using the abacus and practicing math using card games. I have to admit that right now, math is my favorite subject to teach! :001_smile:

It would be great if you could look at these math programs in person, perhaps at a used curriculum fair or convention. I am SO thankful I was able to look at several at a convention earlier this year. It really helped me figure out what would be best for my children and for me.

I second RightStart! The TM is probably my favorite I've ever used in any subject, and I absolutely needed that with math. I, too, am math phobic, and what little I do know how to do, I only know how to do ONE WAY. If my kids didn't understand it that one way, I was at an absolute loss as to what else to try. But RightStart guided them through several different approaches to problems and then let the children discover the way that made the most sense to them. And the TM is easy to work from while you're doing the lesson. You don't have to read a bunch of tiny print ahead of time and try to figure out what the most relevant material is - you can pretty much open it, gather the necessary materials, and start teaching.

And the AL-abacus is awesome.

Good luck with finding the right fit for your family :)

SBP