Menu

B&N summer reading program

Thanks for reminding me! My dd participated last year. They used to let you fill out two journals for a total of two free books during the summer, but starting last year they changed it to just one. But she was still excited to go pick out a free book.

Last year, when my kids took their first list in, the people at our local B&N asked them, "Would you like to do it again?" I mentioned that I thought the policy had changed to just one book per child, and they assured me that at their store, a child could do it multiple times. I was surprised, but I did end up letting the kids do a second list... We've done the summer reading program every year now for... I dunno... ages! ;) I think this may be ds' last year...

Don't know if it's already been mentioned or not, but here you go:

http://images.bn.com/pimages/bn-junior/resources/2009/Summer_Reading_Journal.pdf

If your 1st-6th grade child reads 8 books this summer, he/she can get a free book from Barnes & Noble. It looks like they have some good choices this year as the free book.

:001_smile:

Thanks I've been thinking of this. My ds is finishing 7th grade though and I have one about to start K, so I guess only one of mine qualifies this year! :glare:

Melissa

They can read any books they would like and list them on their reading journal. The free book has to be picked from a certain selection that they have on a special display. Unfortunately, sometimes it is pretty picked over and the leftovers either aren't interesting to my kids or way below/above reading level. That is one reason we try to complete our journal as quickly as possible after the program starts.

Any book off the list. (The choices are generally pretty dismal, we've found.)

Kids can read any books they want for filling out their list. The free book is from a preset group of books. Kids can choose any of those books (regardless of their age/grade level).

I agree that some years the choices have been pretty dismal. However, this year's choices look a little better & I know at least one book that goes along w/ Sonlight (The Twenty-One Balloons) is available. The link shows the list of books that are available.