Menu

Anyone have luck w/homemade incubators?

We've been studying how to tell which of our chicken eggs are fertile or not. The girls have researched how to build an incubator and really want to try hatching some of the eggs. I think the only thing we need is a temperature and humidity gauge and we're set to experiment. Does anyone have any helpful hints? We've never done something like this before, I'm a little nervous.

Thanks!

I say try it. If you've done the research and know the drill then go for it. Otoh, small incubators are cheap, too.

Our eggs are at 7 days today, but they are being incubated under Mom's fluffy chicken self. ;)

Georgia

Check out Back Yard Chickens. I think they've got a whole thread on homemade incubators. I was thinking of making one, but it looked like you'd need so much stuff that it'd be just as cheap to buy a ready made. People were having great luck with them.

Here is the link to the homemade incubators on Backyard Chicken. We have been debating whether or not to make our own incubator. We have a styrofoam cooler we brought seafood back from Florida in, and it's just screaming to be made into an incubator. We have a Little Giant incubator with a turner in it right now, but we would still like to make our own just to say we did it. Keep us updated and let us know if you decide to do it. I'd love to hear how it turns out.