Menu

Earth Logic - Middle Level Earth Science Curriculum

Makita

I am in the process of writing an earth science curriculum for middle level (logic stage). I am using WTM as a guide and thereby each complete curriculum will provide a year of science (Life, Earth, Physical and Chemical).

My intent is to create a curriculum that is all-inclusive. By that I mean, all the background information is included. There is no need to buy other books or materials (other than consumables for the hands-on / experiments).

Additional readings are suggested for those wishing to go farther. Additional activities for many of the lessons are also provided.

I could really use some feedback from other homeschoolers. Is it user-friendly? Does it make science more approachable?

If you were to buy the complete curriculum, would you want it in print format or as an ebook? The first unit (Vol 1 - Our Dynamic Earth) is nearly 100 pages thus far so I want to make it as cost-effective as possible.

Here is a link to download a free sample.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I love the idea of all-inclusive! So far, I think it looks really good but it is hard to get a feel for the full amount of information that would be covered per lesson since it says that only parts of the lessons are shown in the samples. I also love the idea of longer experiments using the scientific method since this is something I think is often lacking (often "experiments" are just demonstrations or modeling but I think kids also need to learn the scientific method).

Personally, I would want a print version because I can't stand reading things on the computer and don't want to hassle with getting them printed and bound myself. Offering both a print version and an e-book would probably be the best of both worlds.

What kind of timeline are you looking at for releasing these?

Thanks for sharing and good luck!

I am definitely intrigued. I'll need to take a bit more time to look over it. Ebook would be cool.

We're actually doing WTM Earth Science this year so hopefully I'll have a good frame of reference for what would be helpful. :)

Yay! Maybe I can use your curriculum with my youngers next time around.

Blessings!

I finished now, actually. Just seeking feedback to know whether I need to make any modifications. I am hoping to offer both a print and ebook option - though print will be more $ due to costs of printing/shipping.

"Our Dynamic Earth" is an 11-week unit (2 lessons per week / more if extended activities are done). I've included background information and discussion questions so each lesson is pretty extensive. There are 93 pages.

I'll be posting more on my blog soon.

I finished now, actually. Just seeking feedback to know whether I need to make any modifications. I am hoping to offer both a print and ebook option - though print will be more $ due to costs of printing/shipping.

"Our Dynamic Earth" is an 11-week unit (2 lessons per week / more if extended activities are done). I've included background information and discussion questions so each lesson is pretty extensive. There are 93 pages.

I'll be posting more on my blog soon.

Are you planning on completing the entire Earth program before you move onto the other branches of science? Also, if one doesn't follow the WTM method completely, could you mix and match units? For instance, do 1 unit of Earth, 1 unit of Life, and 1 unit of Phisical science a year? Or will the units be too dependent on one another within a branch of science?

It looks good and I'll try and keep an eye on your blog for updates but hopefully you can also update us here!

What I see in the sample download looks good. I like the color pics. I do worry about difficult-to-obtain materials, as in the volcano experiment. It would be nice to know how long a lesson is, since the samples don't give a full lesson.

Hum, my two year old Mac is doing fine with it...

I tried again (fingers crossed), and it still does not work on my less than year old mac. I have no idea if it is a software or a hardware (like incompatible graphics card) problem. And, having seen Makita's squidoo on geology, I would love to see this curriculum....

What I see in the sample download looks good. I like the color pics. I do worry about difficult-to-obtain materials, as in the volcano experiment. It would be nice to know how long a lesson is, since the samples don't give a full lesson.

Each lesson varies in terms of duration. I'll try to put estimates on each. That is a good suggestion, thank you.

The only lesson that requires more difficult to obtain materials is the volcano demo - that is partly why I included it in the sample. I'll do some more investigating in regards to possible venues with which to obtain those chemicals.

Thank you!

Are you planning on completing the entire Earth program before you move onto the other branches of science? Also, if one doesn't follow the WTM method completely, could you mix and match units? For instance, do 1 unit of Earth, 1 unit of Life, and 1 unit of Physical science a year? Or will the units be too dependent on one another within a branch of science?!

I am currently teaching a science course for middle-level girls (ages 9-12) and they requested the following units: Geology, Ecology and Chemistry. I'll thereby be writing the units accordingly. A little hodge podge but it will help maintain my sanity. I hope to release Life Logic: Ecological Explorations in mid-summer. Chemistry Logic in early fall. I'll then proceed with the other units (Weather & Climate, Astonomy, Plants, Animals, Electricity & Magnetism, and Simple Machines)

If following the WTM method, each unit in Earth Logic (for example) can be used together. However, for those not following WTM, each unit will stand alone. The Ecology unit will assume some basic knowledge & understanding of food chains, predator/prey, herbivore/carnivore, etc. but the lessons will be successful without previously having taught the Plant or Animal units.

Mixing & Matching is definitely do-able. It's what I do in our homeschool, as mid-year my kiddos said, "Mom. We are tired of learning about animals. We have lots of questions about the earth and rocks. Can we switch?"

:D

Eva

I tried again (fingers crossed), and it still does not work on my less than year old mac. I have no idea if it is a software or a hardware (like incompatible graphics card) problem. And, having seen Makita's squidoo on geology, I would love to see this curriculum....

That's strange, it's coming up fine on mine too. My mac is about 6 months old.