Menu

What next--Plato's Republic, the action game?

My Well Trained son sent me a link to this forthcoming electronic nightmare, Dante's Inferno, the video game. Yup, one enters the nine circles of Hell to shoot and kill monsters. Imagine what future term papers on Inferno will look like.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

P.S. The suggestion of the Republic as the next setting for video game madness was his. (Please read sarcasm here.) He was envisioning Socrates slaughtering his way through the streets of Athens with no time for dialogue. The shadows in the cave take on a new meaning.

My Well Trained son sent me a link to this forthcoming electronic nightmare, Dante's Inferno, the video game. Yup, one enters the nine circles of Hell to shoot and kill monsters. Imagine what future term papers on Inferno will look like.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

P.S. The suggestion of the Republic as the next setting for video game madness was his. (Please read sarcasm here.) He was envisioning Socrates slaughtering his way through the streets of Athens with no time for dialogue. The shadows in the cave take on a new meaning.

Wow! That was an interesting trailer. I hate to say it, but I don't own a single video game, but that this sort of intrigued me. I love the book.

Have any of you seen the Sandow Birk/Marcus Sanders version of the Divine Comedy? I only have Inferno but I wish I'd purchase the whole set of this impeccably well-designed and typographically interesting version re-told in modern street vernacular with underground comic style illustrations.

It's sure to offend some, and intrigue others. Warning f-bombs abound.

One step up from the video game.

http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Marcus-Sanders/dp/0811842134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241677771&sr=8-1

Bill

Was that angelic creature supposed to be Beatrice I wonder? I can definitely see my son who has read Dante wanting to play, but he would probably quickly disconnect it from the book in his mind because the differences would drive him to distraction. Moot point though, no Wii version. :D

ETA: That fire monster reminds me of the Balrog in Fellowship.

Edited by Karenciavo

Have any of you seen the Sandow Birk/Marcus Sanders version of the Divine Comedy? I only have Inferno but I wish I'd purchase the whole set of this impeccably well-designed and typographically interesting version re-told in modern street vernacular with underground comic style illustrations.

Being a film grad and still a film aficionado, the trailer on this one really intrigued me! It's on the Netflix list (as one for just DH and myself). Other than unique visualization / re-setting, does it add anything to the Inferno?? Curiously, Lori D.

Being a film grad and still a film aficionado, the trailer on this one really intrigued me! It's on the Netflix list (as one for just DH and myself). Other than unique visualization / re-setting, does it add anything to the Inferno?? Curiously, Lori D.

Oh....I dunno. I've only seen the trailer.

You can get video games from Netfix? I did not know this.

Bill (cave-man)

He was envisioning Socrates slaughtering his way through the streets of Athens with no time for dialogue.

:lol:

I just read Plato's Euthyphro to my son a few weeks ago, so this cracked me up! (it was an introduction for me to Socrates at a level higher than picture books:D)

Oh....I dunno. I've only seen the trailer.

You can get video games from Netfix? I did not know this.

Bill (cave-man)

We don't have video games, or games on the computer for two reasons.

1. So the kids don't play them and get hooked on them; they can play the 2 or 3 times a year we visit my mil.

2. So their mother doesn't get hooked on them.

We don't do Netflix, either. For similar reasons to those stated above. (my dc get cranky watching anything on a television, but movies in a theatre don't have that effect--which fits with Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television).

We don't have video games, or games on the computer for two reasons.

1. So the kids don't play them and get hooked on them; they can play the 2 or 3 times a year we visit my mil.

2. So their mother doesn't get hooked on them.

We don't do Netflix, either. For similar reasons to those stated above. (my dc get cranky watching anything on a television, but movies in a theatre don't have that effect--which fits with Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television).

We're pretty much on the same page. I'm the only man I know who works in "television" who refuses to even get cable. Television viewing is very limited here.

Although my son did come home yesterday from a shopping trip with Mom at Costco mesmerized by the big-sets, and saying he wanted a "flat screen". I tried to convince him "tubes" are better, but I'm not sure he was buying it :D

Bill

Oh....I dunno. I've only seen the trailer. You can get video games from Netfix? I did not know this. Bill (cave-man)

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear :001_smile: -- I meant an animated film version of the Dante's Inferno. Here's the trailer on YouTube, and the film website. Was curious if anyone had seen this and what their reaction was. Cheers, Lori D.

Dante's Inferno -- YouTube trailer

Dante's Inferno -- the film website

http://www.dantefilm.com/index.html

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear :001_smile: -- I meant an animated film version of the Dante's Inferno. Here's the trailer on YouTube, and the film website. Was curious if anyone had seen this and what their reaction was. Cheers, Lori D.

Dante's Inferno -- YouTube trailer

Dante's Inferno -- the film website

http://www.dantefilm.com/index.html

Thank you so much Lori!

I had NO IDEA they had made a film version of the Sandow Birk book. This is a MUST SEE (for me).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Bill

Thank you so much Lori! I had NO IDEA they had made a film version of the Sandow Birk book. This is a MUST SEE (for me). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Bill

You're welcome! (You just owe me a film review once you see it!) :tongue_smilie: