Menu

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Guest janainaz

Oh! I have this one on my coffee table. My friend brought it over and told me to watch it.

Can't wait.

:)

It blew us away!! We watched it while studying WWII. When it was over, all of us just sat and stared at the tv. We just said wow over and over again. It really had an impact on my children!!! It had an impact on me!! I thought about it for days afterwards.

I want to see this movie, but I'm a bit afraid. Is the "wow" factor a good wow or a bad wow?

I seem to be very sensitive to things lately. I watched "Imagining Argentina" a few weeks ago, and it still haunts me. I actually threw up right after watching that movie.

My son and I saw this movie, and we both enjoyed it immensely. It is better if you don't know much about it in advance. My son is 10, I guess I wouldn't recommend it for any younger than that.

My son believed the propaganda movie that was shown in the movie (as did the main character), about how much fun the work camp was for the Jewish people. He was therefore confused when the camera allowed us to see the true conditions. This movie isn't for every family, but for ours it really allowed for some good discussions.

Julie

I have strongly negative feelings about this film from what I have read about it. I would not under any circumstances use this film to teach children about the Holocaust.

Here's a review which has the best concise explanation of the issues.

When I first saw this movie come out, I had no advanced information on it, but decided not to see it. My gut just told me it wouldn't be a story that showed accuracy concerning the holocaust. In my thinking, I just didn't want to see a story about a concentration camp that I KNEW could never have happened. This review confirmed for me what I had guessed to be true. I do think it is such an important topic and that there are so many possible true stories to tell, that one like this is a disservice. That's just how I feel. I am not Jewish and don't know any Jewish people...unfortunately....but I am very sensitive about this topic.

Eliana's link is what makes me leary of watching it though I think I would like to do so. "My people" (in more than one way) were also in concentration camps. Because of that, I don't want that view distorted. At the same time, I DO know that there were things done in concentration camps, including meeting people at fences for various items, so seeing part of that which is rarely mentioned is kinda interesting. Of course, there are other things that make this so much different also.

I haven't decided to see it yet. And I think my children are much better reading real people's accounts and watching true-to-life documentaries.

My dh watched this movie for entertainment. I am in a phase where I do not want to be depressed by entertainment, so I took a pass.

When my children are old enough to have a detailed study of the the atrocities of war, we will visit a Holocaust museum and perhaps watch a documentary, not a movie, no matter how well done, that is made solely to elicit an emotional response. I'd rather the emotional response come from knowing and understanding the truth.

I was absolutely horrified at the ending of the movie. I would not allow my dc to see this movie. they are very sensitive anyway and it would haunt them for a while. I even had a trouble sleeping last night. Aside from the fact that it did distort true facts, I would not want the movie to be grotesque. I have read the diary of anne frank and discussed it with my dc but in a gentle manner. we did not discuss all the atrocities. we did say that many people were treated horribly and forced to work under inhumane conditions and even gave them several facts and true examples, but at a young age, they do not need to know or understand all the gory details. it is very sensitive what happened and extremely sad. My dc cried when we read a condensed version of Anne Frank by usborne.

I find it hard to believe that the little boy Bruno in the movie didn't know or understand what was going on. I find it even harder that the mother didn't really know what was going on. Anyway without spoiling the whole movie, you should see it and understand that it is a fictional tale and many events are distorted, but it is still sobering especially if you are at all familiar with the true events in history.

I was absolutely horrified at the ending of the movie. I would not allow my dc to see this movie. they are very sensitive anyway and it would haunt them for a while. I even had a trouble sleeping last night. Aside from the fact that it did distort true facts, I would not want the movie to be grotesque. I have read the diary of anne frank and discussed it with my dc but in a gentle manner. we did not discuss all the atrocities. we did say that many people were treated horribly and forced to work under inhumane conditions and even gave them several facts and true examples, but at a young age, they do not need to know or understand all the gory details. it is very sensitive what happened and extremely sad. My dc cried when we read a condensed version of Anne Frank by usborne.

I find it hard to believe that the little boy Bruno in the movie didn't know or understand what was going on. I find it even harder that the mother didn't really know what was going on. Anyway without spoiling the whole movie, you should see it and understand that it is a fictional tale and many events are distorted, but it is still sobering especially if you are at all familiar with the true events in history.

That settles it then. I'm not going to see it. If you can't sleep I know I wouldn't be able to.

My grandmother remembers a little girl on her street that she used to play with. Then all of a sudden she was not allowed to play with the little girl anymore, but no one told her why. She was just forbidden. Then the little girl and her family were just gone one day. When my grandmother asked why they left, she was simply told that if she ever asked about the family again, she would get a spanking and no dinner. To this day my grandmother thinks about the little girl she once knew, and wonders what happened to her.