Menu

Best Bible study for children?

luckymom

I am interested in studying the Bible - as history of the Israelites - not for religious instruction and want some kind of study guide to help me. We can read through it but I would not be able to put it in context, choose good questions, writing assignements, etc.

Is there anything available? Also, which Bible edition should I use?

It is OK if it is published from a Christian or Jewish (obviously OT) perspective, I just do not want a "devotional" or Bible-study guide but rather an "academic" or "history" study guide.

The dc are ages 7-12.

TIA

The Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History by Ron and Cyndy Shearer might be near to what you are looking for. You can use it with The Student Bible Atlas (or The Cultural Atlas of the Bible or any other good map of Bible times) for maps.

This gives a basic historical overview; it is not a commentary.

It is written by a Christian homeschooling family who recommends a CM approach. This is meant to be an oral curriculum, which would allow you to tailor it to your family's needs.

196 Lessons, each details reading and follow-up questions (recall mostly, a bit of inferrence).

As far as a Bible recommendation.... there are so many... You might want to play around on Bible Gateway to explore a couple, or even use their audio to all listen to some.

The Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History by Ron and Cyndy Shearer might be near to what you are looking for. You can use it with The Student Bible Atlas (or The Cultural Atlas of the Bible or any other good map of Bible times) for maps.

This gives a basic historical overview; it is not a commentary.

It is written by a Christian homeschooling family who recommends a CM approach. This is meant to be an oral curriculum, which would allow you to tailor it to your family's needs.

196 Lessons, each details reading and follow-up questions (recall mostly, a bit of inferrence).

As far as a Bible recommendation.... there are so many... You might want to play around on Bible Gateway to explore a couple, or even use their audio to all listen to some.

I'm using the Greenleaf Guide to OT now. I use the Big Bible Timeline along with - highly recommend it for the 7yo.

As for Bible version, I use the NKJV for these readings. I also really like the NASB. It's a matter of preference/purpose.

The folks that publish Latin for Children have a really wonderful program called "Bible for Children." It is perfect for the ages you listed. It is written from a Christian perspective, but not too much so. I liked that it reinforced the learning with activities (crosswords, word games) and also has built-in review. I seem to recall that it is organized around the different names for God. When we did this, there was only one book and they had not yet published the second. It stopped right around the book of Ruth.

As far as a particular Bible to use (did you ask that?), there is one that is called "The Adventure Bible." I believe it is just an NIV Bible, but it is packaged for kids. However, if you don't want your children to become Christians, you might want to choose a less engaging one! :001_smile:

Julie

Is there a New Testament sequel? If so, it might well be what I was looking for!

:)

Rosie