Menu

I am way too old...

Break-outs don't have an age limit.

Many things can cause your skin to break-out. Stress, the wrong kinds of food (for me, chocolate), too much oil in your skin, not enough water, an allergic reaction to something (or someone :001_smile:), etc.

Oh! Did I mention stress?:tongue_smilie:

Many things can cause a breakout.

-Over production of sebum on the scalp

-A change in Hormones

-Stress

-Skin sensitivity

The reason that teens and preteens break out is because of sebum and hormones ... well mainly anyway ... some do have sensitive skin. It is also why as an adult woman I still get one or two bad pimples (and I mean bad) occuring every month around the same time ... hormones. I did notice that switching to natural facial products has greatly reduced the breakouts so I do think that skin irritants in typical cleansers play a role.

:grouphug:

I don't know if you want a product suggestion, or just to vent. I definitely understand the need to just vent! I'm 40, and I still am prone to zits -- those horrible cystic, deep, throbby ones on my chin and cheek bone make me want to cry sometimes...stress, hormones, who knows what....but I finally found a something that works. I don't sell it, and it's not a home-based business product either, so I'm not breaking any advertising rules. It is specifically for "older" skin, and for the first time in a long time, my face is clear. Philosophy recently re-formulated their acne system (the old one worked well, but could sting and burn a bit). The new and improved "On a Clear Day" line works wonders.

I let a friend of mine do a home-based-business "spa facial" on me a few weeks ago, and after having been acne controlled for a few months, I immediately broke out. I was bummed. But after using the products for a few weeks, my skin is clear again. It is available at Nordstrom and online-- I buy directly from philosophy.com (free shipping over $50 and occasionally no minimum free shipping) The line is not horrendously expensive, but it isn't WalMart or Target cheap, either. But for me, it's worth it. (I also have horribly sensitive skin, and it doesn't cause any issues with that, either.)

PS I photoshopped a horrible zit on my chin out of the picture I use for my avatar, as it was also our Christmas card...the things we do for vanity. Stupid, huh?

Guest Virginia Dawn

I've been having age related breakouts on my forehead, combined with dry skin. I stopped using soap and other products on my face. I only wash with a wash cloth and warm water and moisturize with olive oil. That helps tremendously, but it doesn't completely go away unless I avoid processed foods like chips, crackers and cookies.

I suspect soy oil is one culprit.

I used to feel the same way until someone told me to switch to oil free moisturizer and foundation. Almost every cosmetic line carries an oil free version. You just have to read the packaging.

No break outs since I switched. I just wish I knew about it when I was younger.

I just went to my doctor about this. I am 38. The zits were just getting worse and worse. Not severe, but just endless. Two or three new ones...they start to fade and here comes two or three again...endlessly. He had me go for thyroid check; don't have those results back yet. But in the interim, he gave me a prescription for a topical. Maybe it's just lucky coincidence, or all the nice sunshine I've had lately, but I haven't gotten a new zit this past week since the Rx. And this would be *THE* week that I would most likely expect a breakout. My dh said it to me this morning as he handed me my cup of coffee, "Wow! Your skin is completely clear!" :D

I should also mention that I tried many natural routes to stabilize hormones, but nothing amounted to a hill of beans. I'm glad I went to the doctor. I would recommend it to everyone. For one thing, there could be a medical problem that needs recognition and treatment.