Right Start Supplementation

Aurelia

What to supplement RS with?  

1. 1. What to supplement RS with?

• Miquon
    • MEP
    • Singapore
    • Other, please explain

We're kind of bogged down in RS B, and I'm looking for something different to practice with, since I think Ariel's brain just needs some time to mature. Right now we are doing Kumon Simple Addition, but I'd like a little more variety and was thinking of something like Miquon or Singapore or MEP (though I don't quite get the system).

I voted Miquon b/c I think the rods and the alabacus compliment each other nicely. Miquon Lab Sheet Annotations is set up to easily pick through for reinforcing the concepts from another curric.

I use SM as my main math and supplement with RS abacus acivities/ccard games and Miquon.

I'm currently using Singapore as a review/supplument to RightStart. I use RS as my main math program, but we do a page a day out of the Extensive Practice books by Singapore. I always make sure that what they are doing in Singapore they have already learned in RS though.

I "may" look at MEP since it is free.

My DD5 is currently working through RightStart B. Math is tough for her, so I take the lessons really slowly. Some lessons have taken a week to complete. Most days she can take only about 15-20 minutes of RightStart math.

I supplement (at a different time of day) with word problems from "The Math Lesson" and addition drill sheets.

It's spring... Take the month of May, do something else like astronomy or nature walks, and come back to it. Sometimes a growth spurt or a 1/2 birthday (5 years, 6 months) will make a big difference and they'll just jump without you doing anything.

And yes, when we did level B, we had lessons where we spent a week, doing just a few problems each day.

We're kind of bogged down in RS B, and I'm looking for something different to practice with, since I think Ariel's brain just needs some time to mature. Right now we are doing Kumon Simple Addition, but I'd like a little more variety and was thinking of something like Miquon or Singapore or MEP (though I don't quite get the system).

Boy, you've picked all my favorites. But under your circumstances, I'd agree with Paula and suggest Miquon. Of these I think it would be the best for playfully helping her brain to mature.

The Cuisenaire rods are very useful in seeing "quantity" in way that's different and more "freeing" than RS. Generally speaking Miquon is "liberating" where RS seems like it can be a little "tight". Which isn't to say "tight" can't be a good antidote when things are too "loose".

Your daughter might enjoy the "discovery" break Miquon could give her, and the rods may (or may not) prove to be a manipulative that provides breakthroughs the abacus doesn't. And then you could go back to RS feeling a little refreshed.

And while Miquon certainly does have parent/child interaction component, my impression based on the Right Start elements I have, is that Miquon is less teacher "intensive" while still being teacher involved. More "discovery" with Miquon, and some (but far less) "direction". More child-driven. And confidence comes from that.

All you would need is the Orange book (in terms of work-books) to start, but I'd strongly advise reading the "First Grade Diary" teachers book in addition to the "Lab Annotations" (the latter of which is not optional).

The "First Grade Diary" really gives a vision for how Miquon author Lore Rasmussen used the program herself, and I think you might find it rather "freeing" and potentially help you de-compress and open you to a "new style" during your hiatus from RS.

Miquon is very unpressurized, and in a spirit of fun does get young minds thinking creatively about math.

MEP is wonderful, but takes a slightly more mature mind of the sort pre-primed by Miquon. And Singapore is too much to take on on top of RS, and won't provide the relief (or early critical thinking skills) or the rod work that Miquon will.

So I vote Miquon. And for putting away RS for the moment (except to perhaps re-enforce the Miquon lessons with an abacus) and return to it when she's more ready.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

For me I wanted ds5 to have more practice seeing numbers on a page so we used Horizons as a supplement. The pages are colourful and there is lots of repetition. I didn't want him to have different manipulatives, just beable to write the answers to problems which RS wasn't giving him.

It really depends on why you want to supplement. I found that RS taught an awful lot in a very short space of time and we just needed time to absorb it so I also use a white board and just make up problems for him.

We are now close to the end of level B and I am spending a few weeks just going over the addition and subtraction before we complete the level.

Stephanie

Given your daughter's age, I'd "chill" and just play games.

My little guys just weren't ready last year, but this year they are going through fine. I'm really glad I took the time to relax, because they don't see this as work this year. (I have the "benefit" of an older child who I did NOT relax with, and he finds math frustrating every day, even if he "gets it".)

I voted "other," and my suggestions are:

1) Take a while off math. Nothing bad will happen if you don't do math for a week, or two weeks, or a month. RightStart B moves along at a pretty good clip, and my personal opinion is that it's pretty advanced for a five year old. I'd say just put it aside for a while and play the math card games (you have the math card games book, I assume? If not, get it).

2) If you feel that you absolutely must do some sort of math, then I suggest Math Mammoth. It's inexpensive, and you can either buy a complete year's curriculum (light blue series) or focus on one specific aspect (such as addition or subtraction) (blue series).

Tara

The hard part for me is we just came off of a month where we did virtually no math (we reviewed some of the RS B lessons that were covered in A - maybe 2 lessons a week) and every time I open the games book my brain throws a tantrum and tries to leak out my ears. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just can't use it right now. :ack2: She won't be 5.5 until October and I just can't make myself take 5 months off of math.

Maybe I should just get some Kumon books and let her watch her Mathtacular video ad nauseam. I also looked at the Sum Swamp game and it looks interesting, should I try that?

I have had times where we pause the lessons for up to 3 months and just played the games, so they learn to visualize the amounts and know the quantities that add up to 10. With my 3rd dd we did that more than once (not 3 months every time). Now she is at the end of B and can do double digit mental addition well and is having no problems with the lessons. There were days though that it felt like it would take forever to get there.

If you are just practicing I don't think it matters what you use. You can just use online page generators too.

ETA: You might also consider that part of it might be developmental. She is 5. These sort of bumps with my oldest two is why I start later now with my younger two. My 6yo is just finishing up level A. :D Not to say you did anything wrong by starting early, especially if the child was asking for it, but kiddos often want to do things they aren't ready for.

Heather

Edited by siloam

The hard part for me is we just came off of a month where we did virtually no math (we reviewed some of the RS B lessons that were covered in A - maybe 2 lessons a week) and every time I open the games book my brain throws a tantrum and tries to leak out my ears. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just can't use it right now. :ack2: She won't be 5.5 until October and I just can't make myself take 5 months off of math.

I know exactly what it is about the Games Book, because as good as the games are, when I read it "my brain throws a tantrum and tries to leak out my ears" too :lol:

Same with the Al Abacus book (truth told). I value the information (highly) but I sometime feel the author and I speak different languages.

I've already said it, but I think I know where you (and your daughter) are coming from, and I really believe a Miquon hiatus would refresh you both, and you could come back to RS with revived spirits and, in your daughter's case a renewed interest and deepened mind. Really!

Don't take 5 months off, take the time doing something very different, it will feel like a "vacation" and at the same time pay dividends in the long-term.

Bill

I have used Miquon, Singapore and RS B. I love Right Start! I agree that the best practice is games, because that is an "application".

We have the RS games kit which has all kinds of games and the card decks. We use our abacus to keep score for games, like tri-Ominos, Dominos, Mexican Train, etc. My husband wants to start my ds7 on cribbage soon, but I will vote for using the abacus, then move him to the cribbage board once the game is easier for him.

Singapore does have some good workbook type work sheets if you have a child that thrives on it.

Miquon offers work with the rods, and groups their skills differently. Since I have the books I use a little of each, but think games and more games is the best supplement/reinforcement method.

Carolyn

Aurelia, have you considered getting level A? It sounds like what you need. There's no need for a K4 student, which is what your dd is, to do level B. Level B covers all the state standards for 1st grade math, a lot of the 2nd grade state standards, and even some 3rd. Occasionally a bright K5er, as in what your dd will be this fall, will do level B successfully. And even less occasionally, as in 1/2 percent of the time, you'll have a student who does B in K4, which is what your dd is. Level A was written for her age. You can do it with a bright K4 student, or a bright to average K5er. It would be absolutely PERFECT for her right now. It takes those first 40 lessons of level B and expands them out into 80. It has adorable activities that kids this age LOVE. I don't know who told you to buy level B for her this year or how you ended up at this point, but it's really not a good fit. Given her age and your desire for daily lesson plans, I suggest you move back to level A where she can have daily lesson plans that suit her in material she is ready to comprehend.

Level A is ADORABLE. You'll love it. Get it. :)

Aurelia, have you considered getting level A? It sounds like what you need. There's no need for a K4 student, which is what your dd is, to do level B. Level B covers all the state standards for 1st grade math, a lot of the 2nd grade state standards, and even some 3rd. Occasionally a bright K5er, as in what your dd will be this fall, will do level B successfully. And even less occasionally, as in 1/2 percent of the time, you'll have a student who does B in K4, which is what your dd is. Level A was written for her age. You can do it with a bright K4 student, or a bright to average K5er. It would be absolutely PERFECT for her right now. It takes those first 40 lessons of level B and expands them out into 80. It has adorable activities that kids this age LOVE. I don't know who told you to buy level B for her this year or how you ended up at this point, but it's really not a good fit. Given her age and your desire for daily lesson plans, I suggest you move back to level A where she can have daily lesson plans that suit her in material she is ready to comprehend.

Level A is ADORABLE. You'll love it. Get it. :)

She already finished level A with virtually no difficulty (and yes, we did love it, so I bought the next level), that's why we moved on to B. I am thinking we just need a break from RS for awhile while she matures since B moves so much faster than A did.

Edited by Aurelia

I know exactly what it is about the Games Book, because as good as the games are, when I read it "my brain throws a tantrum and tries to leak out my ears" too :lol:

Oh dear... I'm hopeless at reading and understanding card game instructions. I relate too, but I'd really like to learn something besides "Go to the Dump"! :001_huh:

Aurelia, what about some online or computer games to help Ariel decompress? Funbrain and Knowledge Box are two great (free) sites that have kept Becca entertained lately.

We had to take a little math break to allow for maturity too, so I can relate.

I've already said it, but I think I know where you (and your daughter) are coming from, and I really believe a Miquon hiatus would refresh you both, and you could come back to RS with revived spirits and, in your daughter's case a renewed interest and deepened mind. Really!

Don't take 5 months off, take the time doing something very different, it will feel like a "vacation" and at the same time pay dividends in the long-term.

Bill

:iagree:

You can even simply put the rods out on the table in front of her and call that math for a short time - I strongly recommend doing that!;) Let her brain naturally pick up on the quantities of the rods, and let her work with it to play and build houses and towers for a while.

We have had days where we do little more than choosing a rod to be the sum and finding addens for it. ds LOVES coloring a grid to match his math creation (and learned the terms "sum" and addens" effortlessy). This pays off big-time, even though it feels like play.