Menu

HELP hive! I need to make a decision...

Tomorrow is my kids' last day at co-op for the school year. They have been working hard in Art on projects, my older has a karate demonstration to give, and my younger just enjoys his time out and about. We have totally planned to make a day of it and enjoy our last time in co-op.

However...there are 5 cases in the town where we go to co-op (an hour from my home) of Swine flu. They have not been officially reported yet, but the kids go to a University in the town and came back from Mexico (spring break) on Monday with flu symptoms. I keep waiting for the test results to make it official but it doesn't look like that is going to happen before we have to leave tomorrow.

Now I am conflicted. My dh and I had agreed the kids and I would just hunker down a bit more for the next few weeks and see what happens further with the flu issues. We didn't plan to avoid public at all costs...just stay out of big crowds (no big trips to wal-mart and such), wash hands good, and not go out and about unless we really need to. I also prefer to not take the kids if I do need to go out somewhere crowded - like the grocery store. Even though there aren't "confirmed" cases here, it is the flu. It is going to be everywhere. It always is.

So...what do I do? Do I hunker as dh and I planned or do I take the kids to co-op in a town where there are 99% likely cases right up the road from the co-op building and risk it so the kids can finish their LAST DAY of something they have worked hard on all year long? The kids in co-op are all homeschooled, of course, but I am not sure who they are related to/have been around/etc.

What woukd you do?:bigear:

Edited by Tree House Academy

I'd probably go ahead and go, taking due precautions: encourage the kids not to shake hands or hang on each other, frequent handwashing, whatever is recommended.

Perhaps you could shoot a quick email to co-op admins, asking them to do a group emailing requesting that everyone take sensible precautions?

I'd go. I don't want to teach dc that the possibility of some calamity should keep us trapped in our house. Of course wash your hands, of course stay away from those who appear sick, don't share a cup with anyone, that's just common sense, but there's no need to hide out....

I'd go. Wash hands. Have green tea for breakfast. Wash hands. Have a nice garlicky lunch and maybe some green tea. Wash hands. Have a nice garlicky dinner and some green tea. Wash hands. Wash hands. Wash hands. ;)

But I'd go.

I might take the opportunity to discuss preventing contagion with the kids. And it's probably a good idea to change clothes (and wash the ones you wore out) when you get home. And, of course, wash hands again after changing.

But I'd still go. :)

I'd go. Wash hands. Have green tea for breakfast. Wash hands. Have a nice garlicky lunch and maybe some green tea. Wash hands. Have a nice garlicky dinner and some green tea. Wash hands. Wash hands. Wash hands. ;)

But I'd go.

I might take the opportunity to discuss preventing contagion with the kids. And it's probably a good idea to change clothes (and wash the ones you wore out) when you get home. And, of course, wash hands again after changing.

But I'd still go. :)

:iagree: But I'd also add WASH HANDS! ;)

Do you stay home when it is regular flu season? This flu is not any different then the regular flu. The news is blowing this out of the water. The US is taking great precautionary moves at the schools, however when the normal flu season is on an uprise, they do not close schools. The deaths have been Mexican's form Mexico. Just think about the sanitation there and the lack of good medical facilities. Honestly, I would go.

If the media had something else to report on, they would. Then there would be less hipe on this. I have a friend who's uncle is a Doctor in San Miguel. He works in a hospital about 30 to 40 north of Mexico City. He said, the US is making this a bigger deal than what it is. The hospital he is at doesn't have one flu patient.

Just remember, fear is the devil. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart..."

Monica