Menu

The Hive knows everything right?

I want my son to move into his own room. Several months ago he moved out onto the couch to sleep. I hate this. But he has a REALLY good reason, imo, for wanting to sleep out there. He doesn't wet when on the couch but does, almost without fail, in his own room.

What is it about sleeping on the couch that is making the difference for him and can we replicate that need in his room?

Does anyone have an idea?

Probably too deep a sleeper in his comfy bed. Make it less so by making the surface harder or noisier (using a plastic sheet hospital style under) etc.

Or perhaps the couch is forcing him to sleep on his side only? Or something in his physical way of sleeping which puts less pressure on his bladder?

My youngest daughter had a similar problem this year. She was afraid to sleep in her room, but did fine in the living room on the sofa. After many conversations over a few weeks, I concluded the problem was the bed itself. She was fearful of it. So we replaced her bed with a futon sofa. She slept on it as a sofa for a little while and now keeps it folded down like a full sized bed. While monsters lurk beneath a true bed, they are not interested in being under a sofa. Interesting huh? :)

We also rearranged her room so that the bed was not in the same place anymore to help her lose the association with fear and sleeping.

Oh, I should add that if you try getting your son back into his room, maybe rearranging things will help stave off the association he has right now. I like the idea that the bed might feel differently from the couch. Can you alter the bed in some way?

Edited by Night Elf
forgot to mention

I want my son to move into his own room. Several months ago he moved out onto the couch to sleep. I hate this. But he has a REALLY good reason, imo, for wanting to sleep out there. He doesn't wet when on the couch but does, almost without fail, in his own room.

What is it about sleeping on the couch that is making the difference for him and can we replicate that need in his room?

Does anyone have an idea?

Likely, he is not sleeping as soundly because it is not as comfortable/noises are different, etc. so he is waking up more frequently. While that is great for him not wetting, it can't be good for his sleep schedule.

I am worried about his sleep which is why I want him to move to his bedroom....and yet it sounds like y'all agree that him moving to his bedroom allows him to sleep which is the problem in terms of bedwetting. Seems we're just gonna be stuck, huh? Either he's dry but sleeping poorly or sleeping well but not dry. Either way is going to have a negative effect, I think. Stinks.

Considering his age, I think I'll just have to forget what I'd prefer and let him make his choices. When we get a new livingroom set (one day?), he can take this set in his room if he wants. We might try to futon or something if he'd like at some point if I can find one I can afford...maybe when hubby gets a job.