Menu

telemarketers

Allright, we are on the national do not call list. The phone must ring a million times a day with those same recordings. So today my temper flares a bit and I press the button to speak with someone, then say "Don't blankety blank call again" and hang up. They immediatly call back and hang up on me, and called 4 more times! I feel like I can no longer answer the phone. I understand I can report the numbers that call but it is such an inconvience. What is so frustrating is when an actual number shows up, the number is not valid. How can a number that is not real show up on caller id? Then the ones from private and unknown. I am about ready to get call tracing. I just want the madness to stop. Did I mention I was driving down the road, and my cell phone rang? I thought it was my husband and an emergency as no one has my cell number, and it was one of those telemarketing recordings. I am at my wits end here. Give some suggestions before I blow my top.:mad:

No suggestions but some sympathy. We always just let the answering machine get it but lately that doesn't even work because we have been getting a call with no one on the other end, just elevator music playing. I have to go to the phone, connect, and then hang up or it just keeps playing. I have reported numbers to the FCC, repeatedly, but I don't think it does any good...:glare: We have our number on every marketing op-out and do not call list we can find but we still get them. It annoys me that I have to do the work to stop the annoyance, but I decided I am not going to let them ruin my day and just blow it off basically. Ambulance chaser lawyers used to be at the bottom of the food chain for us, but now I think it is marketers. ;)

I sympathize with the harassment. Ugh. I had a telemarketer call me last year....she started off by saying it had to do with my insurance (we have bc/bs, so it could have been a real call). When I figured out she was a telemarketer, I told her that I would never consent to having them come over for a consultation, etc. I hung up. She called back and said, "I know where you live...." Click.

I was furious. I was frightened....but, I have caller id, and I had the number she called from. So, I called back and believe it or not, got the front office of this insurance company. I asked for the supervisor and told him what had happened. I suggested nicely that if they wanted to attract clients, threatening them was not the most effective way to do business. He was so upset that he said he would fire her.

LOL.

Ria

We don't usually leave the phone connected. Anyone who wants to speak to us badly enough rings my mobile, and that is unlisted. If dh has plugged the phone in to make a call and leaves it connected, I let dd answer it. I know it's not for me, and anyone who rings us (also on the do not call list) deserves to hear gobbledygook from a toddler. Dh likes to answer telemarketer calls, he feels it's a good exercise in backbone strengthening.

:D

Rosie

:iagree:

My van warranty is about to expire.....

I need to reduce my credit card debt.....

My roof may have been damaged in the storm....

My US representative is a loser & I need to call him asap about XYZ.....

Do I need a burial plot.....

We are in a basement in India & would like to sell you some insurance....

We are currently running a promotion.... ugh! :eek:

IT GETS OLD. I DON"T ANSWER THE PHONE ANYMORE!

We don't have a cell phone plan, but do use a Trac phone. It has 89 messages on it.... I don't have a voice message/never activated... so I know it is garbage & just delete it. Even with this phone, they attempt to drive me nuts.

just got my son, age 11, a cell phone. His first call was a text message from romance.com or something like that. Well, when we got his phone we said NO text messaging so I made a quick call to Verizon and no more text messages. But now my son, who is 11, apparently is about to have his car warrarinty expire, they keep calling him. lol. I told him to just never answer any calls that have a different area code than ours or better yet, we have programmed him all the extended family member numbers and for him to look that is says from Aunt or uncle or cousin (that is how I programmed in all the numbers). His phone is only to call and receive calls from family, no friends.

But he still gets about 5 calls a day from 888 or 866 area codes. I am also slowly starting to get these calls on my cell also. Fairly annoying and yes we are on the do not call list, it has done no good.

I keep on getting phone calls from a Riddle and Associates regarding a debt we do not have. I just ignore it. They stopped for awhile and have recently begun calling again. They don't have my name right, so I know it's not for me!

Try googling the phone number and see what others have done. I googled the Riddle and Associates number and found lots of folk who have done something about them. I just don't want the hassle, so I let the answering machine pick up or I hang up as soon as I hear that pause before the recording starts.

I think there are a number of cell phone numbers that are former landline numbers, and they have not yet fallen off the call rosters purchased from other companies.

However, it is illegal for telemarketers to knowingly call a cell phone. If you answer and tell them it's a cell phone, they have to stop calling.

Caller ID can say anything the person who "owns" the number wants it to. My husband has a co-worker whose number comes up as a fictitious name because they're a little more, uh, fastidious about personal security than most.

I finally had to block a number from the "Police Protection Fund", which comes up as a person's name and is, in fact, incredibly rude telemarketers. They are a "charity"* so they do not have to acknowledge your repeated requests to stop calling, like other telemarketing firms do. (* I put "charity" in quotes because no police department that I know of has heard of / benefitted from this organization, and it has been under fraud investigation in MD.)

On my mobile, I don't get solicitation calls, but I think the exchange is only for cell phones, so easily identifiable. I did, however, get repeated calls from a recording informing me that an inmate in LA County was trying to reach me, but my carrier does not have an agreement with LA County Corrections and that I should call 1-800-whatever to allow this call to go through. :001_huh:

I keep on getting phone calls from a Riddle and Associates regarding a debt we do not have. I just ignore it. They stopped for awhile and have recently begun calling again. They don't have my name right, so I know it's not for me!

Try googling the phone number and see what others have done. I googled the Riddle and Associates number and found lots of folk who have done something about them. I just don't want the hassle, so I let the answering machine pick up or I hang up as soon as I hear that pause before the recording starts.

Ooh, in addition to some of the others shared, we have one of these that calls regularly. I just politely say Mr Cannon doesn't have this number, I don't know him, we have had it since 2001, and would they please stop calling. It lasts all of 3 months.

I don't know if my method of dealing with them is even accurate, but I'd heard somewhere along the line that if you're on the DNC registry and a telemarketer calls you three times, the company they represent owes you in the ballpark of $200 or $300.

That's what I tell them, depending on how many times they've called. Usually the calls stop at one. Some go to twice - but I've never had anyone call me three times!

We moved in later Dec. and were getting calls for a while before the DNC registry updated our number. But then we were still getting debt calls for some other people. Usually they left messages but one time I answered and told them that this is a new number for us and we don't have any idea who those people are. The guy transferred me over to a supervisor, I repeated the story, they asked when did I get the number, and since then, no more calls. I don't pick up on on untraceable calls unless I have put in a call to a doctor on call.