Menu

"Little Dorrit" on PBS/Masterpiece Classic

Okay, I'm a total sucker for anything that Andrew Davies produces, so when I heard that Masterpiece Classic (used to be Masterpiece Theater) was running Andrew Davies' brand new BBC production of Little Dorrit, I was SO THERE.

It ended last night, I was glued to the screen all 5 weeks. I had never read this Charles Dickens story, and really was not familiar with the story. Heartbreaking and elevating!

This is my question for anyone who has read the book, and saw the whole production. How true was the production to the book?? I just want to know before I plunk down the $50 for the DVD (which I may do anyway, because it was soooooo wonderful -- almost as wonderful as the A&E "Pride & Prejudice" with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth...sigh....)

I'm confused. I watched the ending twice, but I still thought that Arthur and Amy were children of the same mother.....right up until they kissed. At that point I realized that I must have been mistaken.

So, if they weren't siblings, then how exactly were their stories bound together?

:confused:

Thanks!

I have never read the book, but I just finished watching Episode 5 online here. Playing until Sunday, May 3rd. Very enjoyable! Matthew Macfadyen was brilliant as Arthur Clennam, although I do adore him as Mr. Darcy in P & P. I didn't recognize Andy Serkis (Gollum in Lord of the Rings) who played Rigaud, until I actually read the names of the cast members.

I just wanted to add that you can pre-order the DVD through Amazon for $34.99 plus FREE Super Saver Shipping. ;)

Arthur was the child of his father's extramarital affair. Mrs. Clennam (who Arthur thought was his biological mother) raised Arthur. When Arthur's paternal grandfather found out (years later, perhaps?) that Mrs. Clennam had taken Arthur from his mother, he changed his will and made Amy (a child born in the Marshallsea) the beneficiary.

Anyone, please feel free to add clarification. This was a great production, and I am so sorry it ended.

Bonnie

I don't know anything about the book, Stephanie, but thanks for the movie recommendation. I just added it to my Netflix queue :)

Heather in MD

Okay, I'm a total sucker for anything that Andrew Davies produces, so when I heard that Masterpiece Classic (used to be Masterpiece Theater) was running Andrew Davies' brand new BBC production of Little Dorrit, I was SO THERE.

It ended last night, I was glued to the screen all 5 weeks. I had never read this Charles Dickens story, and really was not familiar with the story. Heartbreaking and elevating!

This is my question for anyone who has read the book, and saw the whole production. How true was the production to the book?? I just want to know before I plunk down the $50 for the DVD (which I may do anyway, because it was soooooo wonderful -- almost as wonderful as the A&E "Pride & Prejudice" with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth...sigh....)

Arthur was the child of his father's extramarital affair. Mrs. Clennam (who Arthur thought was his biological mother) raised Arthur. When Arthur's paternal grandfather found out (years later, perhaps?) that Mrs. Clennam had taken Arthur from his mother, he changed his will and made Amy (a child born in the Marshallsea) the beneficiary.

Thank you! I got this much, but why Amy? They made it sound like he couldn't bless Arthur, so he blessed this young woman's second child (Amy). But that would make them half-siblings. (Ick!) This is where I get confused.

My daughter got the book from the library yesterday afternoon, so we're busy trying to fill in the holes from the PBS series.

The miniseries is a simplified version of this 800-page book, but is faithful to the spirit, with the exception that Andrew Clenam is a bit older in the book.

The PBS website has lots of extras, including a one-sentence plot summary from one of the directors:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/littledorrit/bts_storyline.html

Summary: "A man left a sum of money to his son's lover's guardian's brother's youngest daughter."

Only part of this is unveiled near the end of the miniseries, so I will be reading more. But this opens up questions about Amy Dorrit's father.

Next week is 1 final Dickens adaption.

Watch Little Dorrit on the PBS website while it's still available!

From what I understand, Frederick Dorrit, William's brother, was the guardian of the young dancer who was Arthur's real mother. Frederick played clarinet at a theater.

Amy Dorrit's real father was William. According to e-Notes, her mother died shortly after she was born.

I don't believe Amy or Arthur are related.

Also, I think in the book, only Amy finds out who Arthur's true mother is which she doesn't reveal to Arthur for fear of hurting his feelings. I'm not sure about this, though. Does anyone know?

Great mini-series! :)

Edited by MBM
adding info.

That is a mouthful! And not confusing in the least. :glare:

OK. So Amy's uncle was the theater woman's guardian? :001_huh:

Yes, and the woman died in prison on the same day Amy was born. Since the grandfather couldn't help the woman, he left the legacy for Amy.

We had to watch that part three times to finally understand that half-siblings didn't get married. In fact I was starting to be hopeful that John might actually still have a chance with Amy. John was just the sweetest - I felt so bad for him.