Menu

Anyone a color expert (need paint help)

We're sprucing up the house just in case we need to sell. Here in AZ, the look is Old World. That's what sells. My home is in this decor with very rich textures and colors. I'm looking for a wall color that will also reflect a deep neutral/gold color. Everything I splash on the wall looks too yellow-ey or too muddy brown. I just can't find anything in the middle. Granted, I've only looked at Sherwin Williams colors so far.

Does anyone know of a good color I could look at that might be close to what I'm describing?

Thanks!!

Christa

If you ask at the counter they will tell you the most popular colors in your area. Our home is also done in Old World colors. We used the following Sherwin Williams paint though I know they differ distractly by home/room: Blonde (master bed, game room), Empire Gold (kitchen), Autum Blonde (front entry/Living room), Restrained Gold (den), Camelback (family room). We also used some red (Fireweed) and brown (Leather Bound) accent colors.

Boy! I remember all those paint samples in our garage. Stick with it and you will find the right color for your home.

Guest janainaz
We're sprucing up the house just in case we need to sell. Here in AZ, the look is Old World. That's what sells. My home is in this decor with very rich textures and colors. I'm looking for a wall color that will also reflect a deep neutral/gold color. Everything I splash on the wall looks too yellow-ey or too muddy brown. I just can't find anything in the middle. Granted, I've only looked at Sherwin Williams colors so far.

Does anyone know of a good color I could look at that might be close to what I'm describing?

Thanks!!

Christa

Can't wait to hear the advice on this one. I'm on my third warm neutral in the kitchen - just can't find the right one. The swatch looks so perfect, but the light of the rooms, color of decor, floors, cabinets and the REST surely must affect the tone.

If you ask at the counter they will tell you the most popular colors in your area. Our home is also done in Old World colors. We used the following Sherwin Williams paint though I know they differ distractly by home/room: Blonde (master bed, game room), Empire Gold (kitchen), Autum Blonde (front entry/Living room), Restrained Gold (den), Camelback (family room). We also used some red (Fireweed) and brown (Leather Bound) accent colors.

Boy! I remember all those paint samples in our garage. Stick with it and you will find the right color for your home.

Okay, this is cool, because Camelback & Restrained gold were at the top of my list. Camelback was the swatch I KNEW would be "the one" but it looks yellow when I do a small patch. How does it look in an entire room...what is the overall effect?

I have the same question with restrained gold and its overall effect. Is it brownish-gold, or mustard-gold?

I'm painting ALL my common areas, family room the same color, so I need to go with one that is more neutral (for resale), but still with the gold I'm after (for Old World).

Thanks so much for your reply!!!

Christa

ETA: I just pulled my fan deck out and hadn't seen Empire Gold before. I'm curious to know how you like it as well compared to the others mentioned?

Edited by BalanceSeeker

Okay, this is cool, because Camelback & Restrained gold were at the top of my list. Camelback was the swatch I KNEW would be "the one" but it looks yellow when I do a small patch. How does it look in an entire room...what is the overall effect?

I have the same question with restrained gold and its overall effect. Is it brownish-gold, or mustard-gold?

I'm painting ALL my common areas, family room the same color, so I need to go with one that is more neutral (for resale), but still with the gold I'm after (for Old World).

Christa

I love the whole Camelback swatch. I'll post a picture of my master BR done in Camelback when I go upstairs to the desktop.

Barb

Do you have a pillow or cushion or something in the room that is the shade you'd like on the walls? If so, take it to Home Depot and they will match it nearly exactly. I've done this several times and been happy with the results. THe biggest problem I've run into is that this pillow looks good in the room but the paint of the same color can sometimes be too overpowering in color. So I end up repainting and going with the coordinating pillow instead, lol.

Christa

ETA: I just pulled my fan deck out and hadn't seen Empire Gold before. I'm curious to know how you like it as well compared to the others mentioned?

The restrain gold in my bedroom is not really brown or mustard - just kind of dark wheat. I think the restrain gold might be a little intense if you are looking for a color to use in your entire common area. I think the blonde (which is the color above restain gold) or autumn blonde (which is an old color so it may not be on your swatch) would be better.

I love the empire gold in our kitchen, but I think it might be too intense for your whole house. Our kitchen has army/sage green tile floor, white cabinets and neutral counter so I tried to pick a color that would go with that but be a little more exciting.

We get a lot of compliments on the camelback, but the actual color I used was a custom blend off the camelback color. If I remember correctly, we tried the color above cameback but didn't like the shade it turned at night. So I took the sample back to have it darkened to camelback. They were unable to get an exact match to camelback but we loved the color they came up with. If your house is light and airy then the color might be OK, but if in doubt I would go with the color on the swatch above it - a little lighter.

Also, when you go back to the store, talk to the person behind the counter because they will be able to tell you the most popular colors in your area and guide you in the right direction. At our store the woman employee was a little more helpful decor wise than the men.

It is dark outside right now, but as soon as it is light I will go around the house and let you know the overall feel of the colors.

Hope you find the right color.

Edited this to add that the woman in the store that was helping me mentioned that the newer colors, (restrained gold, blonde, camelback) do have more green in them and that the older colors - like autum blonde has more red in it so they are warmer colors. So you might want to check their old color swatch, too.

Edited by Ferdie

Do you have a pillow or cushion or something in the room that is the shade you'd like on the walls? If so, take it to Home Depot and they will match it nearly exactly. I've done this several times and been happy with the results. THe biggest problem I've run into is that this pillow looks good in the room but the paint of the same color can sometimes be too overpowering in color. So I end up repainting and going with the coordinating pillow instead, lol.

Maybe I should take a sample of the wallpaper I LOVE in my powder bath and see if they can match that color. It's just right. I've never done that before, thanks for the idea!

Christa

I used Camelback all over my previous house...open floor plan, so there was a LOT of Camelback! ;) Anyway, it looked anything but yellow. Warm gold with a brownish undertone was more like it! The paint went through the two story entry and into a bright living area. It did look very different in different lights, but never yellow. I absolutely loved it.

HTH. Oh, and BTW...the house sold quickly!

I used Camelback all over my previous house...open floor plan, so there was a LOT of Camelback! ;) Anyway, it looked anything but yellow. Warm gold with a brownish undertone was more like it! The paint went through the two story entry and into a bright living area. It did look very different in different lights, but never yellow. I absolutely loved it.

HTH. Oh, and BTW...the house sold quickly!

This does help, thanks! (BTW, do you know what sheen you used...I know that can affect color a little bit.

The restrain gold in my bedroom is not really brown or mustard - just kind of dark wheat. I think the restrain gold might be a little intense if you are looking for a color to use in your entire common area. I think the blonde (which is the color above restain gold) or autumn blonde (which is an old color so it may not be on your swatch) would be better.

I love the empire gold in our kitchen, but I think it might be too intense for your whole house. Our kitchen has army/sage green tile floor, white cabinets and neutral counter so I tried to pick a color that would go with that but be a little more exciting.

We get a lot of compliments on the camelback, but the actual color I used was a custom blend off the camelback color. If I remember correctly, we tried the color above cameback but didn't like the shade it turned at night. So I took the sample back to have it darkened to camelback. They were unable to get an exact match to camelback but we loved the color they came up with. If your house is light and airy then the color might be OK, but if in doubt I would go with the color on the swatch above it - a little lighter.

Also, when you go back to the store, talk to the person behind the counter because they will be able to tell you the most popular colors in your area and guide you in the right direction. At our store the woman employee was a little more helpful decor wise than the men.

It is dark outside right now, but as soon as it is light I will go around the house and let you know the overall feel of the colors.

Hope you find the right color.

Edited this to add that the woman in the store that was helping me mentioned that the newer colors, (restrained gold, blonde, camelback) do have more green in them and that the older colors - like autum blonde has more red in it so they are warmer colors. So you might want to check their old color swatch, too.

It's sounds like I would be okay to go with Camelback. Seems like a poplular and well-liked color. To be sure, I'll get sample quarts of autumn blonde and blonde to compare.

You all have been VERY helpful!

Next, I'll be asking for great pinks. ;) I painted my daughters entire bedroom in bubble gum :confused:

Christa

Thanks!!

Christa

I hesitate to answer. My husband is a professional painter, they NEVER pick the colors, the customer does. You can get color decks from the paint stores. Also, you can get small paint samples from the paint stores, some charge, some don't. I would try small samples to see what works for your rooms. Not all colors appear the same in everyone's home no matter how popular the color is.

Here are some links that were posted on WTM (I think) awhile ago. They show pix of people's houses and tell what color paint was used.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/gal111825059508.html?101

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/gal1118204018989.html?64

That was a great link, thank you! I added a Benjamin Moore color to my list :tongue_smilie:

• 1 year later...

If you're looking for just the right color sometimes it helps to look at different stores. I found what I wanted last time at Benjamin Moore. Since I wanted Sherwin Williams for exterior, they matched it for me (patio). My patio color is BM's hush. It turned out very nicely.

This isn't what you're looking for, but when selling, the more neutral the paint colors the better. Seldom will any color you choose be exactly what the next homeowner will want, so when they see a house with neutral colors, they don't think they will have to re-paint immediately. It also makes spaces appear larger.

With your color scheme, an off white - antique white, with white trim would probably look nice.