Menu

Is cursive required for SAT's or college?...

I was forced to learn cursive in elementary school. I do not write in cursive. I sign things with my signature. That's all. I print everything. I had good SAT scores and went to college 2 years early I had a 3.8something GPA I think. I was successful at work when I worked FT. I am glad I learned the cursive but I never ever EVER used it. I am glad I never went to public school when I was young where they force you to write in cursive.

Back when I took the SAT, I remember we had to write in "longhand" something along the lines of "I certify that I am the person taking this test and no one has taken any part of this test but me." I'm paraphrasing of course. That was 16 years ago though. Things change. I do remember lots of people asking the proctor what "longhand" was. If one didn't want to teach cursive one could get the exact wording of that phrase and use it as copywork in their SAT prep.

OK - that's what I was wondering. I think we had to write in cursive in AP English. Either that, or we just had to do so much writing that I decided I needed to switch to cursive on my own - IDK - LOL!

Anyway, I was thinking specifically about the essay on the SAT. (Since I didn't have to do that, myself.)

Thanks, all!

OK - that's what I was wondering. I think we had to write in cursive in AP English. Either that, or we just had to do so much writing that I decided I needed to switch to cursive on my own - IDK - LOL!

Anyway, I was thinking specifically about the essay on the SAT. (Since I didn't have to do that, myself.)

Thanks, all!

I wish I had the link, but I read that statistically, the SAT essays that were written in cursive received a higher score than the ones written in print.

Ds said they still do that (as of March) and the proctor had to show some kids how to write it in cursive.

Uh oh... my Ds is going to have a problem with this. He can't even sign his name fully in cursive even after several years of assistance in school. He has never been able to master reading or writing cursive. In school (8th grade public school till end of this year) it is in his IEP that he is not required to write/read cursive.

He is taking the SAT this June through a Northwestern University youth talent developement program. Only problem is that his IEP special ed director didn't send what the college board wanted to allow Ds accommodations (only accommodation we want is small group setting and extended time for the essay portion). I am glad he is only in 8th grade and so these scores won't count other than for the talent program and personal use.

Anita

My 11th grade daughter is taking dual credit courses at our local university. She got a shock when her world lit professor told the class that their response journals had to be hand-written in cursive! Fortunately it was easy for her to pick back up. (I hadn't demanded cursive for several years.) Makes me think that I'd better make sure that my younger sons have a little more handwriting practice!

Yvonne