Menu

Argh...if you got this announcement in the mail, you'd dress up, huh?

Here's what the announcement says:

With gratitude to God for His enabling grace, we are pleased to announce the High School Graduation of _____________________.

It has been a privilege to invest in his life and education. Please join us for a celebration and short ceremony at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 16, 2009.

(Then our address and name)

I should have added the words "informal ceremony", so that people would know they don't have to dress up.

I probably need to call people and let them know, right? :001_rolleyes:

Yeah, the word "ceremony" would make me think dress slacks and blouse, but I wouldn't wear a dress or anything. If you want people to wear jeans/shorts you should call them, otherwise just let them come as they feel appropriate. Maybe some of them will call YOU to see what they should wear?

Actually, I wouldn't think to dress up. I mean, I wouldn't wear jeans, but I wouldn't wear a cocktail dress either.

It just sounds like a nicer worded invite to the typical graduation party. And the typical graduation party is casual. I assume the ceremony is because of being homeschooled (?), so that would make me know that it's probably a dressier casual. But the thought, "Oh dear! I need to dress up! Whatever shall I wear?" would not have entered my mind upon reading that invitation. ;)

With gratitude to God for His enabling grace, we are pleased to announce the High School Graduation of _____________________.

It has been a privilege to invest in his life and education. Please join us for a celebration and short ceremony at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 16, 2009.

I should have added the words "informal ceremony", so that people would know they don't have to dress up.

#1: I would think you got your invitations/announcements from Homeschooldiploma.com ;) (and I love the wording, btw)

#2: As with any graduation ceremony, I'd wear church clothes; like someone else said, not jeans, but not a cocktail dress either ;)

Have fun!! Our ds is graduating June 6th. Much to do, much to do...

#1: I would think you got your invitations/announcements from Homeschooldiploma.com ;) (and I love the wording, btw)

Yep. :) Homeschooldiploma.com! I liked part of the wording from one sample, and part of the wording from another, so there 'ya go! It's a hybrid.

#2: As with any graduation ceremony, I'd wear church clothes; like someone else said, not jeans, but not a cocktail dress either ;)

I'm thinking church clothes might still be a bit formal for a backyard party. I really want people to be comfortable.

Have fun!! Our ds is graduating June 6th. Much to do, much to do...

Congrats on your daughter! I guess I hadn't thought much about what homeschool graduation would be like until *very recently*. I've never been to a homeschool graduation that really was *at home*. Most of the homeschoolers around my neck of the woods don't go through high school, and those that go all the way do it with a charter school which has it's own ceremony. I'm trying to find the balance between formal enough to really be a noteworthy event, and informal enough to be fun & comfortable. We did senior pictures, but I liked the informal shot better than the formal shots, so I'm using the less formal picture to insert in the announcements. I'm sure I'm breaking a ton of etiquette rules along the way, since I've never really paid attention to how things are "supposed" to be done. I'm hoping that since we had a sort of non-traditional education, people will be open to non-traditional graduation ceremonies. ;)

Let people dress whatever way they want to. Maybe they *like* dressing up.:) So, no, I wouldn't call anyone. People who want clarification can call you.