Menu

Mini-rebellion (or -- is there an abridged version....)

My rising 8th grade dd (13) will be doing world history over the next two years. (I know -- not the four-year cycle....)

I would love to have her PERUSE / FAMILIARIZE herself with the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid, but we are NOT going to have her read the whole books in their entireity. We just aren't. (Hence the mini-rebellion).

So --

Are there any GOOD abridged or story versions of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and/or The Aeneid out there?

I had my sons (12 and 14) read Rosemary Sutcliff's versions: Black Ships before Troy, The Wanderings of Odysseus, and In Search of a Homeland. Although picture book types, my boys did not find them overly young and enjoyed them. I did have the 14 yob then read The Iliad.

These are great books that capture the ancient epics.

One minor correction, In Search of a Homeland is by Penelope Lively instead of Sutcliff.

There is also the Padriac Colum book "The Children's Homer" which condenses the story of both the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Also on my shelf - a large "picture book" format book "The Odyssey" but with a lot of text 'retold by Robin Lister' and an old book (1956) "Odysseus the Wanderer". This is a retelling by Aubrey de Selincourt who was a classics student, WW1 pilot, classics master, translator of the 'standard' Herodotus (for many years) and, I just found out, the brother-in-law of A.A. Milne and the father-in-law of Christopher Milne.

Would you and she be willing to read ONE epic. Might I suggest the "Aeneid". it has been the second most influential book on the Western Canon (after the Bible). If she is going to continue to read Great Books, this is the one you won't want to miss.

Hoping you find the perfect fit!

There is also the Padriac Colum book "The Children's Homer" which condenses the story of both the Iliad and the Odyssey.

We loved The Children's Homer. The title is a misnomer - this is not "dumbed down" for children at all. We read it aloud several years ago when my kids were younger, and just listened to the audio version from Audible a few months ago (kids age 12 & 15). The whole family enjoyed it.

What wonderful ideas! Thank you all!

Our library has the TC tapes. And (if you want a laugh) I actually own a few of the various children's versions of the Iliad/Odyssey. I just needed to be reminded that I own them and that they are worthwhile!

Thanks. :001_smile:

Honestly, I would have her watch the Teaching Company DVD's (or listen to the CD's) by Elizabeth Vandiver. Your library may have them (or be able to get them ILL). I'd let you have ours but I already gave them away :glare:

This would be my advice.

I too thought of the Sutcliff retellings of the Iliad and Odyssey, but why are no Aeneid retellings coming to mind?

One idea: perhaps listen to excerpts of the Aeneid on CD, splicing pieces of the work into the Vandiver lectures. That way he'll at least hear some of it.