Menu

William F. Buckley, Jr. has died...

It really does feel like the end of an era, doesn't it? :(

Yes, I think that's it.

Obviously public figures die all the time, but some affect me more than others. My elderly relatives have mostly died off (meaning those who are 20+ years older than my parents) and the feeling is similar, though different.

Very sad. I can't imagine who could fill his shoes. I love this quote from John Derbyshire, "(The National Review), like its founder, is opinionated, but generous to opponents; thoughtful, without being intellectual in the self-conscious, self-absorbed European sense; tolerant, but within firmly declared boundaries; spiced with humor and mild satire, but never frivolous; taking politics seriously, as a domain of great events and great responsibilities, yet never thinking that politics should dominate human affairs; never losing sight of the high ideals of our Western civilization.â€

I grew up watching Firing Line (ah, the days before cable :)) I'll miss him.

It saddened me as well.

Amy, as far as who he is...well, I guess he could be viewed as the father of the post WWII conservative movement. He was 82. I think it saddened me more than it should because my elderely father passed away 6 months ago, so quite a few deaths have been getting to me more than usual. That being said, I really liked William Buckley.

Wow. I am shocked and sad. I can't quite put my finger on why I'm feeling such a punch in the stomach over this.

Anj, you summed up just how I felt when I saw the picture and headline today. I've read so many of his remembrances of friends and colleagues in recent years. It's hard to imagine that anyone will be able to do him justice.