Menu

Why did my gluten free carrot cake have just a little bit of an odd taste?

I'm not sue what made the odd taste, but I have learned that with GF cooking, it does take some trial and error. Next time try Gluten-Free Pantry's Beth's All Purpose Flour. It works just like regular flour, in the same proportions as whatever your recipe calls for.

Even if you use a cake mix, it takes time to find out what brands are good. There's a yellow cake mix (I forget what brand) that always comes out tasting like cornbread with icing. :glare:

Does the flour mix have any chick pea flour in it? I find it leaves a funny taste. Not a big one, but just a little off.

That was my thought too. I *think* I remember that Bob's has a bean flour in it, and I find those (soy, chickpea, or other) can leave an odd taste in my baking.

We never use the gf all purpose flours because I can't have whichever bean it is Bob's Red Mill uses. Or whichever ones. If you can eat eggs, you might try the Namaste Spice Cake mix which gives directions for carrot cake. Since I can't have eggs, either, I usually use Cherrybrook cake mixes for birthday cakes as I splurge for those. Normally I make my gf things from scratch with no mixes. Not only because of the bean issue, but because dd is on a rotary diet & most mixes are no good for that. We break the rules on birthdays as she's not severely allergic to anything.

Yes, the Bob's GF all-purpose can have an odd flavor. Evidently, it can also cause some odd textural issues (read: reportedly not good for tortillas, unless you like them stretchy). I'm surprised it would be noticable in a spice cake, though.

I just made the banana-polenta cake (twice) and the pear-polenta muffins from Gluten Free Goddess (GF, vegan) and they rocked. In the cake, I used equal amounts of the Bob's GF AP and brown rice flour to make the substitution for Pamela's (using the instructions in the notes).

Oh, and we're not GF or vegan, but I was bringing snack for co-op and we have a kid with newly diagnosed gluten / dairy / egg sensitivities... and the cake was really, really good. (As were the muffins, but the pears would make them not store very well.) Now, I'm eyeballing the blueberry oat muffins.

The Bob's Flour is fine for breads, especially dinner-type breads. I don't suggest using it for sweet foods, or items such as pancakes, waffles, muffins, or cakes. There is bean flour, which has an unusual taste. I've become accustomed to the taste, but I still don't like it used in anything sweet.

For baking with sweeter items, I prefer sweet sorgham, almond meal, and white or brown rice flour mixed 1:1:1. It gives a much milder taste.

Don't leave out the xanthum gum if the recipe calls for it. I haven't noticed a taste, but I do notice a difference in texture.

We never use the gf all purpose flours because I can't have whichever bean it is Bob's Red Mill uses. Or whichever ones. If you can eat eggs, you might try the Namaste Spice Cake mix which gives directions for carrot cake. Since I can't have eggs, either, I usually use Cherrybrook cake mixes for birthday cakes as I splurge for those. Normally I make my gf things from scratch with no mixes. Not only because of the bean issue, but because dd is on a rotary diet & most mixes are no good for that. We break the rules on birthdays as she's not severely allergic to anything.

I second the Namaste Spice Cake recommendation. Everyone here loves it, whether they are gluten-free or not. I change it up frequently by adding carrots and raisins one time, chopped apples and walnuts another, and bananas and pecans another time. It makes great coffee cake for breakfast. I've even heard of it being used as the base for zuccini bread, but I'm not brave enough yet!

OH Namaste is Divine!!! Do the blondie mix, put ice cream on top and cover with caramel and nuts and you would swear it was from Apple bees. Also 1,2, 3 gluten free has good muffin and brownie mix

I tend to use sorghum, sweet white rice, almond meal, tapioca and potato starch for my basic gf mix. We keep trying out recipes .

We did make a Bob's homemade bread today and it was good. The first taste you noticed a difference but nothing beyond that. It does make a good bread. But the bean rule it out for me in sweets.

Me three. Personally the Bob's GF flour mix is too beany tasting. It has fava bean and maybe chickpea? I can actually take a little chickpea in mixes but not that one. I also find millet to be bitter. I'm working with rice, sorghum, tapioca and almond flours also. I have no set mix yet. The Pamela's pancake mix is yummy so I'm betting the other mixes from that company would be worth a try. The Cherrybrook mixes are good too. I don't like the Namaste pancake mix quite as much but would be willing to try the spice cake mix now seeing so many great reviews.