Menu

Have you been to Yorktown and Jamestown?

We are looking at going after the Williamsburg conference. Can we see both of these in the same day? Our kids are still pretty young, but can we spend half a day at each and not feel rushed? Or, should we pick one or the other and spend the day there?

Any thoughts?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Be aware that there are 2 Yorktown sites and 2 Jamestown sites. There is one each of the National Parks and one each of a more tourist oriented site. The National Parks are the original sites and are very inexpensive. Yorktown Victory Center and Jamestown Settlement are more pricey, they are right next to the National Parks.

Just to be different...

There is also a "living history" museum near the actual Yorktown site that is quite good--Yorktown Victory Center--that shows life during the revolutionary war, they shoot cannons, you can explore the soldier's tents, etc, plus a wonderful museum. Similar to the Jamestown center, but focusing on a different time period--run by the same people. http://www.historyisfun.org/ The man who was the "surgeon" was great and very informative.

The battlefield museum itself isn't big... though I spent a whole day with my 6yo son on the Yorktown driving tour, following the tide of the battle, driving from site to site and walking the parapets, etc. But you have to really like historical site stuff to go for that... I think my son inherited it from me, I got if from my dad.

Oh my, I may need to re-think the whole plan...Our kids are crazy for history. We are spending the day before the confernce at Colonial Williamsburg and then dh is taking them there for the two days of the conference. I know there is so much there that they will want to spend time and go slow. I was hoping that we could do a good job of the two on Sunday after the conference since we aren't going home until Monday.

We are going to be back in the area in October and I haven't planned what wea re doing then. We will have 3 days to do things. Maybe I should just pick one site for Sunday and do it well, and then do the other when we come back in October? I have no idea...:confused:

Based on the age of your kids, I would say they would enjoy the Yorktown Victory Center and the Jamestown Settlement the most. This can be done in a day. Start as soon as they open (9:00) do Yorktown before lunch and Jamestown after. Eat in the car on the drive over on the York or James River for a nice picnic. (I would stop on the James on the Colonial Parkway.)

The National parks are worth a visit. I believe both of the National parks grounds close at sunset, so you could tour the grounds after the day is over. Or find out if they open at sunrise and do one before and one after.

The Jamestown original townsite - has a glass blowing house that is really neat to see though - I think it closes at 5:00 though. You can do the drive around it and the glasshouse in 30 - 45 minutes. If you want to get out and walk and explore it will be longer. There is an visitors center and dig site.

But my kids at that age got a better idea of the history from the "Jamestown Settlement." They enjoyed the National Park, but if I had to pick I would say do JS and a quick drive through the NP. Or just go when you are done and do as much as you can until they close.

It is really doable in a day.

If you are planning to be back, you could do one now and one later. Just look around at the sites. Even call and ask how long they say you should take.

We did the Jamestown Settlement and then Yorktown Victory Center (in that order). I think if we had gone to YVC first I would have been. . .dissapointed for the day. (I'm one that can't change moods as quickly as I can change locations. Sad, but true.) It worked out extraordinarily well though, as we spent most of our day at Jamestown Settlement and then had a bit of time at YVC, which turned out to be the perfect amount of time there.

One thing, my family is a bunch of early birds, and we went to Williamsburg the 2nd day. It was spectacular, for us, as no-one else seemed to get there before 10 or 11 in the a.m. so we were able to spend a good deal of time going through the workshops and ask all sorts of questions before it got crowded and they "push" you through. (They don't "push" you through, but it can get so crowded that you essentially stand in a line to get in the shop, and then see a brief presentation before you feel you have to leave so the next group can get in.)

We just got back from Williamsburg. Personally, we liked Jamestown more than Williamsburg (too crowded, too expensive). We did Yorktown in about 2 1/2 hours and spend 4 hours at Jamestown and would have spent more time except there was a tremendous thunderstorm so we weren't able to go outside until later. The guides at both museums were so helpful and attentive. Also, a little tip, the gift shops at Jamestown and Yorktown have almost the exact same stuff as Williamsburg, but for less. If your kids like to dress up (Colonial) bring your costume from home; I saw a lot of parents shelling out big bucks for the adorable costumes they sell in Williamsburg. Have fun!

We went to them on separate days, so that we could have time to really enjoy both of them. My son enjoyed getting to interact with the costumed interpreters at Yorktown and with the guides at Jamestown. We then had time to do some of the evening tours back at Williamsburg each day, which are generally less busy, less hot during warmer weather, and very interesting!

With dc the ages of yours, Williamsburg and Yorktown are giganic playgrounds, not historical sites. OK, historical playgrounds. Plan on buying guns and watching the redoubts and seige works at Yorktown being used again. Or gun battles occuring in Glouster Street between total strangers. :D Have your dc join the militia in Williamsburg and drill (Make reservations before going, I think there's a fee). Or play with 18th century toys.

I love walking through Colonial Williamsburg before the buildings open just to soak up the atmosphere. The evening is also a good time to walk. And don't restrict yourself to the main streets. Wander the backways and try to find all the pastured horses, sheep and cattle to pet and feed. I also recommend that you get tickets for special Williamsburg tours a few days before you go.

If I had only 3 days in the area, I'd spend at least 2 in Williamsburg and the 3rd in both Jamestowns, starting in the Settlement (the re-creation) The National Park at Jamestown does have a good museum, but just roaming the actual town site will give your children time to unwind while you soak up the location.

As for Yorktown, there is a third. There is the actual town of Yorktown with some historic buildings open to the public (NPS) and some are now restraunts. The only play area is the beach on the York River. You can walk to the town from the visitor's center, but there are a bunch of carpenter bees that inhabit a portion of the trail if anyone has bug phobias. Just don't smash them and you'll be fine.

There is much more to see at Jamestown and Yorktown than you would think.

For Yorktown I would take Colonial Parkway from Williamsburg to the National Park site-tour the Visitors center etc. Then you can hop the free Yorktown Trolley and go to the center of Historic Yorktown (there is an interesting archeological site), the beach area and the Yorktown Visitors Center (living history-not Nat'l Park). Once you are back at the National Park you can do the drive the battlefield tour if you desire. National Parks frequently have audio tours to purchase in the gift shop to help with times like this.

Jamestown is at the opposite end of Colonial Parkway and there too is both the National Park and the Living History site. Yes, if you don't loiter you can do both in one day. If you start in Yorktown you might consider eating along the beach area of Yorktown (there is also a lifesaving/waterman's museum there) or there is a restaurant (more cafe) in the colonial section of the city. I don't recall as many restaurants in the Jamestown area but its been a while.

Colonial Parkway is the easiest way to travel between the 3 cities. It is a lovely drive and puts you at the main sites.

Be sure to stop by the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center (not in the historic area). They have a wonderful bookstore there and if you ask the sales clerk kindly they will frequently extend their educators discount to you (as I recall it is 10%). I think this only works in the booksellers not the gift shop.

Been to both and were there when our kids were just a little older than your kids ages. I believe one had just turned 10 and the other was 6. We had a tough time getting them away from Yorktown. They ran on the hills, playing soldier, and they loved exploring the hills and dales.

I really expected them to love Jamestown, and after spending all those $$$ getting in they looked at the ships and wanted to leave. They wanted nothing to do with the reinactors who IMO were doing a very poor job at their interacting --- perhaps it was an off day for them.

The boys loved Williamsburg but one day was plenty for them there.

Carole

Don't know how your registration and tickets for Williamsburg works, but they have a seldom advertised deal you can get for all THREE attractions, one low price. It's a great deal, gets you in and out off all of them all you want. Like the others said, the parkway (road) that connects the three makes it easy to bop between them. What you might do is get those multi-day passes for all three and let your dh take your kids to the different things on different days. We thought the Jamestown stuff (with the re-enactors, etc.) was just average, but we were surrounded by a zillion school kids. In fact, it was downright unpleasant because there were so many people there! The Yorktowne Victory Center is amazing, so allow several hours. The original Yorktowne spot is very memorable, with cannons to climb, a ship to walk through, GW's tent, etc., so don't miss it. But you don't have to do all these things in one day. Have them go for an afternoon and do one thing or another, spread it out. Don't try to cram too many things in one day or you'll just have tired kids who don't have fun.

Williamsburg is fun, but we only needed a day there. Make sure your dc wear costumes, so the interpreters will talk to them. It will greatly add to their fun. :)

We did the Jamestown Settlement and then Yorktown Victory Center (in that order). I think if we had gone to YVC first I would have been. . .dissapointed for the day. (I'm one that can't change moods as quickly as I can change locations. Sad, but true.) It worked out extraordinarily well though, as we spent most of our day at Jamestown Settlement and then had a bit of time at YVC, which turned out to be the perfect amount of time there.

You know I feel the opposite - had I done Jamestown before Yorktown, I would have felt let down with it. Where as the day got better to do Jamestown afterward. That's so funny you had the opposite experience.

Start all your days early.

You can rent costumes for about $20/day with a deposit. They also get a letter that gives them somethings to do it. It's really neat. My kids love renting costumes because of that. They want to do it every time we go - which isn't going to happen since we go so often.

With dc the ages of yours, Williamsburg and Yorktown are giganic playgrounds, not historical sites. OK, historical playgrounds. Plan on buying guns and watching the redoubts and seige works at Yorktown being used again. Or gun battles occuring in Glouster Street between total strangers. :D Have your dc join the militia in Williamsburg and drill (Make reservations before going, I think there's a fee). Or play with 18th century toys.

I love walking through Colonial Williamsburg before the buildings open just to soak up the atmosphere. The evening is also a good time to walk. And don't restrict yourself to the main streets. Wander the backways and try to find all the pastured horses, sheep and cattle to pet and feed. I also recommend that you get tickets for special Williamsburg tours a few days before you go.

Totally agree! Some of the taverns are open in the evening - Chownings is a good one for families - although a tad pricey.

We often go to just walk around without doing anything historical or paying admission - my kids love to just take in the history.

Evenings are wonderful down there too. I love to sit under a tree and just let the kids run and play in the grass.

We just got back from Williamsburg. Personally, we liked Jamestown more than Williamsburg (too crowded, too expensive).
It shouldn't be too bad. March and early April are crazy - with spring break, school trips and homeschool weeks it stays busy. But by late April early May it should be much better.

There is much more to see at Jamestown and Yorktown than you would think.
Absolutely agree. There is so much to do down there. But don't try to do it all in one trip - take your time and enjoy what you do. Your kids will remember more and have more impressed upon them historically than trying to do everything.

When we were back there we did the real Jamestown site - but then my kids were older, we had already been Living Historied to bits by Williamsburg, and reenactments and settlement stuff back home. So we opted for the real site, which was very cool! But I agree with others who note that littles would enjoy the touristy-Jamestown replica more. I'd skip Yorktown and do the replica and real Jamestowns instead. Maybe do the actual site first, then the replica since it would show what life was like at the site just visited.

Well thank you everyone. There has been a lot of good advice here. I am thinking that we are going to pick just one and do that one for the day and then we will do the other when we are that direction in October. We are lucky that our kids are very early risers so we will certainly be there early and going.:D

I had no idea there would be so much to planning this. It started off so simple with me wanting to go to the conference. WOW! Now I know how people feel when they go to WDW for the first time!!:lol:

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!