Menu

Question about MCT Grammar Town series and History Odyssey

paulcindy

Again, still reseraching curriculum. I thought I had a decision made on using HOD. But I really don't think this is going to work with my 10 yo. I sat down with her today and we discussed curriculum, goals and such. I realize she is only 10, but marurity wise, she is beyond that in years........LOL. She would like a "serious and challenging LA program" and it was suggested we look into MCT LA program. I showed her the sample pages of this, and she is saying YES YES YES. So, we are going to do MCT:

Grammar Town student book

Grammar Town teacher manual

Caesar’s English 1 student book

Caesar’s English 1 teacher manual

Building Poems student book

Building Poems teacher manual

Paragraph Town student book

Paragraph Town teacher manual

Practice Town student book

Practice Town teacher manual

We also re-visited History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients. In looking at samples, we love the balance it has with this curriculum. It also gives her the hands on she seeks.

But, my question is this. HO has writing assignments. We will be doing Paragraph Town in MCT's program. Will HO writing style clash with MCT writing? It seems that HO asks for the student to outline. MCT's program we will be focusing on paragraph order.(She is an excellent writer, but she needs work on structure). So I want to make sure we are not on writing overkill here.

For Science, I found a wonderful program through Galore Park. So you want to learn about Science Book 1 and 2. With also using Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tsunamis Project available through Amazon.com.

And we will continue with LoF, and Lively Latin Book 1.

Thoughts? You ladies have been so wonderful with me and my curriculum decisions!!!:):)

I actually have zero advice because I am not at all familiar with any of your above choices. I don't even know what MCT stands for. :001_huh:

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your curriculum journey lately. :D Don't you just love how you think you may have it all figured out and then when you give your kids a choice they throw the proverbial monkey wrench in all your plans? :lol: Oh, boy, been there-done that more times than I can count! I would say that it your dd is excited about her choices, and they are legitimate solid curriculum choices...go for it! ;)

Now I am off to do a search on MCT... :blink: :001_smile:

Sounds great. :)

Grammar Town student book

Grammar Town teacher manual

Caesar’s English 1 student book

Caesar’s English 1 teacher manual

Building Poems student book

Building Poems teacher manual

Paragraph Town student book

Paragraph Town teacher manual

Practice Town student book

Practice Town teacher manual

You don't need the student books for any of these save the Practice Book (and even then it's convenient, but not necessary).

For Science, I found a wonderful program through Galore Park. So you want to learn about Science Book 1 and 2. With also using Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tsunamis Project available through Amazon.com.
The latter is part of a fantastic series of books:

The Art of Construction: Projects and Principles for Beginning Engineers and Architects

Engineering the City: How Infrastructure Works

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis: Projects and Principles for Beginning Geologists

The Science of Life: Projects and Principles for Beginning Biologists

nmoira,

Why do you think I do not need the student books? Aren't these the accompanying workbooks to go with the series?

Thank you!!

The teacher books are the entire student book along with the teacher's manual in the back. The only difference in the student portion of the teacher's edition is a little side note here and there to suggest reinforcing a specific topic.

You can use just the teacher's book for the Practice series as well, if you write out the daily sentence for the child. We put the sentence on a white board. I dictate them to my kids so they can work on spelling at the same time.

Both HO and MCT can be modified easily, so I don't think you have to worry about too much writing. There is no clashing between the two. MCT assignments can often be applied to other subject matter. Many of the assignments allow the student (parent) to choose the topic on which to write.

Both HO and MCT can be modified easily, so I don't think you have to worry about too much writing. There is no clashing between the two. MCT assignments can often be applied to other subject matter. Many of the assignments allow the student (parent) to choose the topic on which to write.

Melissa, (or anyone else!), how much writing is there in Paragraph Town? I see 20 writing lab assignments in the teacher's book. It seems like I'd have to add more writing to actually have my dc writing all year. Am I missing something?

So I am getting this correctly, does the student write in the teachers book? Or do they need to use a seperate notebook for their work?

I just want to make sure, because I want to make my life as easy as possible...............LOL.

And I am glad to hear that about HO and the writing.

Thank you!!:D

Melissa, (or anyone else!), how much writing is there in Paragraph Town? I see 20 writing lab assignments in the teacher's book. It seems like I'd have to add more writing to actually have my dc writing all year. Am I missing something?

The book is written with the assumption that these skills will be applied to additional writing done in history and science. PT is basically a book about paragraph structure, both the structure of an individual paragraph and the structure of paragraphs within an essay. When my daughter used PT we did additional writing in history and literature. It is a book that works well with WTM where it is assumed the student will be doing a writing curriculum but also writing in literature, history and science class.

Melissa answered all the other questions. :)

The Student Practice books are the only consumable books.

So I am getting this correctly, does the student write in the teachers book? Or do they need to use a seperate notebook for their work?

I just want to make sure, because I want to make my life as easy as possible...............LOL.

And I am glad to hear that about HO and the writing.

Thank you!!:D

The student book is not a workbook. It is more like a textbook. There aren't many workbook type pages. The few that are in there could be photocopied (or done orally.) It is assumed that the writing done in Paragraph Town and the poetry book would be done on separate paper. There is no blank space for student writing. The only book that supplies blank spaces specifically for student writing is the Practice set.

The student book is not a workbook. It is more like a textbook. There aren't many workbook type pages. The few that are in there could be photocopied (or done orally.) It is assumed that the writing done in Paragraph Town and the poetry book would be done on separate paper. There is no blank space for student writing. The only book that supplies blank spaces specifically for student writing is the Practice set.

Oh, okay. I was thinking they was a workbook to Grammar Town, and so on for the series.

So, it is assumed then, that all the work is done in their own notebook, and in the practice books then? NOT in any of the texts.

Do you have the child read the lesson independently out of the teacher's book, or do I read the lesson to her, and write out what needs to be done on a whiteboard?

So for me to purchase the whole homeschool kit like I listed, is not necessary then? So that should save me some money.

I apologize if I am sounding stupid...........LOL.

There are two homeschool packages from MCT for each level, a Basic and Complete. The Basic has just the teacher's book for each title except the practice books, where it has both teacher and student book (as it's the only consumable).

I just bought the whole Town series for my older dds, and a couple Island books for my younger dd as well. I haven't started Town, but I've been reading some of the Island books with my dd8. I thought I'd read them to her, but she really likes reading them to me. We sit on the sofa next to each other with the book across our laps. Any written work is definitely on separate paper. For us, two books would have been overkill - it's nice having the one book to read together. I read the teacher questions in the little bubbles - it doesn't bother her that they're there, and we still discuss them even though she can see them. They're all questions to discuss, so it's not like there are "answers" she can look at.

The extra teacher pages with extra assignments and such are at the back of the book, so also don't distract.

The books are meant to be gone through with the student, not the student reading alone. Paragraph town will have page numbers of what to read for each lesson that go with each writing lesson. MCT language arts is set up a bit different. The first 6-8 weeks are for grammar (Grammar Town.) Then the writing and practice books are used the rest of the year (Practice Town and Paragraph Town.) The vocabulary matches up with Practice Town so you may want to use them together. The poetry book fits in nicely beside the grammar book and then the rest of the year can be spent writing poems (there are example "recipes" in the back of the poetry teacher's book.)

Melissa and others

Thank you so much for the help. I went ahead and ordered MCT Level 2 Basic Package instead, so that saved me some money!!

6-8 week of Grammar does not seem to be a lot. It must be intense?? I am sure I will have more questions when they arrive, I placed the order today. And I am not sure how long it will take to arrive.

I am anxious for them to come. I hope this does not overwhelm me!! And it easy for me to implement.

Thanks so much again:grouphug:

Funny, I am doing both of these next year as well. My ds is a little lazy about writing (doesn't like to work his hand LOL), but is an advanced reader, loves history, and needed a challenge. I hadn't thought about this being a problem before....thanks for putting it in my head;). LOL. I hope it works out, good luck.

Danielle

Funny, I am doing both of these next year as well. My ds is a little lazy about writing (doesn't like to work his hand LOL), but is an advanced reader, loves history, and needed a challenge. I hadn't thought about this being a problem before....thanks for putting it in my head;). LOL. I hope it works out, good luck.

Danielle

Sounds exactly like my daughter!!