Menu

Chicago Residents? Field Museum?

Anyone really familiar with the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago?

Our local museum has a reciprocal agreement with them and we are going to go when we are in town this weekend.

I am wanting to know what to FOR SURE see for my kids (4 and 6). We did study SOTW Ancients this year and I want to hit anything that would have to do with that.

I would also like any tips to make our visit go smoothly. When my parents took us as kids I just remember wandering around aimlessly complaining that we were hungry and thirsty.

We live near enough to Chicago to get a museum membership each year. Last year was Science & Industry...this year is the Field.

They do have self guided tours downloadable here

Floor Plan maps here

Since we go as much as we can in the year we buy a membership, we have the luxury of wandering around and/or only spending a couple of hours or popping in on the way to Grandma's to see one thing.

I highly reccommend getting a locker (right by the entrance) so you don't have to lug coats, etc. around.

the food is (of course) kind of pricey, so budget for it.

My kids love the molded plastic toys that are available at different points throughout the musuem. Its a machine that makes them right before your eyes for a couple bucks.

Have Fun!

We have a museum membership there every year - it is my kids' favorite museum. For an ancients study - you can do the Inside Ancient Egypt. They have a nice interactive center for kids on the bottom level. My kids love the mummies and artifacts. However, some kids may be squeamish about this and not want to see it. Also, there is an exhibit on China that has some nice artifacts from the ancient time period. My kids like to practice their drawing skills on those. They have an special exhibit going on now on the Aztecs (until April 19.) I think you have to pay extra for this if you are not a member of this museum (I don't think reciprocal memberships cover this part.) Their special exhibits are very good. Nature Unleashed is another excellent exhibit - it was so fascinating, we lost our lunch bag in there and forgot until we got very hungry:|. Since it talks about natural disasters, it can be somewhat frightening to the squeamish.

We always have to go the the Evolving Planet and the Dino exhibits. My daughter loves the hall of Gems (but that exhibit might be temporarily closed for remodeling.

We always go to the

I agree! I agree!

Special exhibits have never been covered when we've been there, so unless it has changed, I think you will have to pay for those.

Also, we love, love, love the Museum of Science and Industry, which is also covered under our reciprocal membership. I believe that the Peggy Notebart nature sanctuary was also covered, although it was in need of some tender loving care last time we were there. The children's museum on the pier was also covered! It's great for littles!

Field? Those ages? Make sure to tour the Egypt exhibit! Lots of interactive stuff for kids once you get past the mummies, etc. Great dinosaur exhibits, too.

If you also get down to the Museum of Science and Industry they have the coal mine, Zepher train "ride", submarine, Colleen Moores lavish doll house, a huge train set and a hanging full-size airplane that "takes off" (sound and light effects) every hour or so - tons of stuff. MSI will have a Harry Potter exhibit starting end of the month.