Menu

What have you learned about yourself and other people from the people on this board?

I have learned to listen to, interact and try to understand a very diverse population of people.

I have learned that there is no one person that I agree with 100% of the time on 100% percent of the issues. Nor is there a person that I disagree with 100% of the time on 100% of the issues.

I have learned that I can find something in common with most people. I can find genuine feelings of compassion for just about everyone and offer them my support through difficult times.

I have learned that most people are kind and caring.

I have learned that some people are difficult, argumentative, and sometimes rude and yet I like them anyhow even when I don't agree with them. Also there are some people that pleasant, agreeable and polite and I still don't like them (I'll think of a reason later) even when I do agree with them.

I have learned that I can have nothing in common with someone and have completely opposite POVs and like them anyhow and whereas I don't neccesarily like everyone that shares my POV or that I have much in common with.

I have learned that just because I don't like someone at first doesn't mean that I won't eventually learn to like them and likewise just because I like someone at first doesn't mean that I will always like them.

I have learned that some people say all of the right things but in the wrong way and while others say the wrong things but in the right way.

I have learned that it is possible to have civil conversations about deeply divisive issues and that for the most part people are respectful and will stand up against rude and totally uncalled for behavior.

I have learned to develope personal standards for when and how I engage in conversation with people about any given topic.

I try to offer support, encouragement and sympathy (or even empathy if possible) whenever I can.

I have learned to examine things from the opposite POV and sometimes even reconsider and change my belief about things.

I have learned that sometimes, I am just plain wrong (not very often mind you :tongue_smilie:) and that when I am, I need to own up to it.

I also must apologize when I have hurt someones feelings or contributed to a misunderstanding.

I have learned that I can politely state when I have a difference of opinion with someone.

I have learned much about that I don't have to mention everytime I disagree with someone. I can just let it go.

I have learned that I don't have to engage even when I have serious disagreements with people.

I have learned that based on my personal moral code I do need to speak up when I believe that someone is rude, offensive or hurtful. If they are doing it on purpose then they need to be called on it so that they know it is not acceptable. If they do not know then perhaps they would like the opportunity learned and grow and perhaps not make the same mistake in the future.

I also feel the need to stand-up and support others who have done the same or that I feel have been wrongly treated or attacked.

I have learned that sometimes people really aren't aware of things or that they have never been exposed to certain ideas or POV. Sometimes I haven't either.

I have learned that I have to post carefully if I choose to participate in a thread about something I feel strongly about and that there are somethings I simply should not post about.

This has been a long and rambling post and I could probably go on all day but you get the general idea. This board offers me a wonderful chance to be exposed to and interact with people that I otherwise would not be able to and I have learned so much from the experience. I feel that I am a better person because of it.

What about you? What have you learned both about yourself and other people?

I have learned to be quiet and listen. Really listen. Let other people talk and express their opinions. Then stop and think.

I've learned to let things go - more than I did before.

I've learned to hold my tongue and not put my foot in my mouth as often as I have in the past.

I learned I wasn't quite as open minded as I liked to think I was. :glare:

There's much more, I'm sure, but that's a start.

Janet

I've learned that people can be truly courageous, such as the ones who sign their names to critical posts. Probably more in the past with the reps.

I've learned that there are some genuinely caring people that inspire without even trying to do so.

I've learned that there are types of people I need to avoid if I want to live a peaceful life. I used to try pleasing everyone but I've lost that feeling.

I've learned it's perfectly okay to be wrapped up in being a mom and a homeschooler.

I've learned that if I want to get any teaching done I have to throw away the computer :001_smile:

Seriously. . .thanks OP for a sharing your thoughts!

Edited by dmmosher
typo

Kidshappen,

That was lovely. I too have learned a lot from this board. Too much to list. I will boil it down to one point. I really honestly believed that I was a very open, tolerant and respectful to others IRT their educational choices, religious beliefs(or lack thereof), hot topic issues, etc. While I would still maintain that I am more open than a lot; this board has taught me that I am 'not all that' iykwim. :D I am learning to better understand others that view life differently from myself and what it really means to respect them. I realize that this probably wasn't Susan's reason for starting this forum, but I am grateful.(sp?)

Thanks for a great thread.