Menu

Is this Latin plan realistic?

JABarney

I am starting to plan out our Latin studies and I am hoping for some feedback about my expectations/timing.

I should first say that my dc are reading well, and will have likely finished FLL 2 before we start this. They are both already wanting to know the meanings and origins of words and I'm thinking that this will help, even though I expect it to be slow going at times.

2nd grade Prima Latin

3rd grade LC 1

4th grade LC 2

Oh, I have also studied Latin, but that was in ancient times. I am not terribly afraid to teach it, but like everything in this business of homeschooling, I reserve the right to change my mind and complain about it later!

So, is this completely unrealistic? Anyone else attempt this? Success, horror stories....

Thanks!

I think this is totally doable. It just depends on your motivation. I did PL last year but I just can't get into LC this year. I'm not sure if it's just me or if I need a curr. change. I'm really liking the looks of Great Latin Adventure. It has more explanations that I would like to have. I find the LC teacher text to be very loose. Not a lot of hand holding which is what I need.:D

HTH

Depending on your long term Latin goals, you may want to consider doing LC2 over 4th and 5th or using the new Form series from Memoria Press.

First Form is due to be released this Fall. Eventually there will be four volumes, covering the material in Henle 1, so that from 4th through 8th grade, for example, you'd cover all of the Henle 1 material allowing you to start Henle 2 in 9th grade.

Depending on your long term Latin goals, you may want to consider doing LC2 over 4th and 5th or using the new Form series from Memoria Press.

First Form is due to be released this Fall. Eventually there will be four volumes, covering the material in Henle 1, so that from 4th through 8th grade, for example, you'd cover all of the Henle 1 material allowing you to start Henle 2 in 9th grade.

This is what we are doing. We are just about done with LC1, but I am going to wait for First Form even though I already own LC 2.

Yes, very realistic for good students. My youngest is in 3rd this year and we did LCII; and no, I did not notice that MP often recommends doing it over 2 years! poor kid :lol:

It was a bit rough in 3rd. Part of it was the contrast of older sis (5th grade) zipping through it, while she had to work much harder. Part of it was the level of writing.

If someone were starting LCII with a 3rd grader, I would recommend the 2 year sequence. With a 4th grader? Maybe not. I know my oldest took a big jump from 3rd to 4th, ability-wise.

And I would definitely consider First Form instead; by the time you finish LCI, they should have a two or three levels finished.

(am I missing something? did the OP say she wants secular, or are people just gathering that from previous posts?)

I kind of like the sequence LC I - 3rd, LfC A- 4th, LfC B 5th myself. I think doing LfC B in 4th doesn't work for every child since it needs a bit of logic brain.

My poor first born children did almost every Latin program available, and my later born children are getting the benefit of my experience.

We did LC 1 in one year, and LC 2 in one year. This thread was the first I'd heard of it being done in 2 years.

As for the OP's original question: Yes, I think it's completely doable. Maybe be prepared to take a little longer to do LC2, if needed.

I had no Latin experience and did just fine with the teacher manuals. I had to do the lessons ahead of the children, but that was okay. There was plenty of explanation for me, and if I had a question there were people here who knew the answers.

It's not 100% secular, as people have mentioned, but I didn't see where in the OP that was mentioned as a prerequisite in choosing a Latin curriculum.

have fun!

This thread was the first I'd heard of it being done in 2 years.

(I think I'd have died of boredom... And even if my kids were okay with it, I'd have had to switch to something else at that point...)

It's not 100% secular, as people have mentioned, but I didn't see where in the OP that was mentioned as a prerequisite in choosing a Latin curriculum.

The poster had mentioned in previous threads wanting to stick to entirely secular materials -- thus the post surprised some of us. PL/LC is a very solid beginning Latin program, but if someone has an entirely secular curriculum as a priority, there are other options available at the elementary level now...

(I think I'd have died of boredom... And even if my kids were okay with it, I'd have had to switch to something else at that point...)

The poster had mentioned in previous threads wanting to stick to entirely secular materials -- thus the post surprised some of us. PL/LC is a very solid beginning Latin program, but if someone has an entirely secular curriculum as a priority, there are other options available at the elementary level now...

OK, thanks abbey. I must have missed the earlier threads.

I agree. We did just fine with LC2 in one year. If we'd stretched it into 2 years it would've felt too slow.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Yes, ordinarily I prefer to choose secular programs and teach religion separately. I have been searching for a Latin program that I can start sooner vs later and that is academically strong. I still have some researching to do, and can't wait for the new WTM book to arrive to read SWB recommendations/reviews and see what has changed.

Thanks again for your responses.

I think I will be starting some Latin sooner now though because we had lots of tears in our house over the fall of Rome. When I mentioned starting to learn Latin, the language of the Romans, there were lots of smiles - a way to keep Rome alive!