Menu

The HPV vaccine that prevents cervical cancer is recommended for 11- and 12-year-old girls.

Would you make your 11 or 12 year old daughter get the HPV vaccination shot or would you give them a choice? Why or why not?

No, I would not let my daughter get the HPV vaxcine for several reasons.

1. My fil is a pharmacist and he doesn't like the side affects that he is hearing about. He has advised us not to get it.

2. I would like to see some long term stats on this vax. I would like to know how these women do later in life. Are the able to get pregnant or do they have trouble? Are their babies healthy or do they have increase in certain diseases? Do they truly have a lower cancer rate or did it increase?

3. The vax does not prevent all cervical cancers: just a few.

4. My children can make their own medical decisions when they are paying for their own medical care. I am not saying that they will not be part of the decision making process, but the final decisions rest with my husband and I.

I don't trust the right wing media machine that is against this vaccine because it has something to do with an STD. From what I can discern from the available information, nobody has died from this vaccination. It protects against some cancers, which is better than none. The side effects are mild and few.

My daughter will be getting this shot long before she can become sexually active.

When I asked my doctor to give my daughter the gardasil vaccine, he told me it was too controversial in our area. He was afraid to give the vaccine to his patients, because he didn't want his offices picketed by angry protesters.

That seems a little hysterical. Are there really wide-spread protests at individual doctor's offices over them giving this vaccination?

We will tell our daughters get it when they are in their early twenties (unless they marry before that,) provided it is still being routinely given then.

When everyone was giving the rotovirus vaccination, my doctor advised us to wait. We did, and they withdrew it because of problems.

I will wait as long as possible to give my dds this vaccination, because that will give us the most possible time to see what the results of widespread vaccination are. We are pro-vaccination, but I figure we might as well give it as much time as we can.

For anyone who will not give it solely for the reason that their dc will marry as a virgin to a virgin, my family doctor gave us the following scenario. If my dd marries as a virgin, but then her dh dies down the road, she may want to remarry to a widower. Even if that man is a wonderful man, never been with anyone but his wife, my dd is now dependent on the choices her new husband's dead wife made either before or during her marriage.

I don't trust the right wing media machine that is against this vaccine because it has something to do with an STD. From what I can discern from the available information, nobody has died from this vaccination. It protects against some cancers, which is better than none. The side effects are mild and few.

there are plenty of medicines that have "no ill effects" till years later.

If indeed it has proven to be effective and has few side effects [especially on a girl's reproductive system and her future children] then my dd will likely get the vaccine THEN. But i won't give it to her for at least another decade.

and I'm not interested in what the right wing media machine says: I want to see what years of research say.

For anyone who will not give it solely for the reason that their dc will marry as a virgin to a virgin, my family doctor gave us the following scenario. If my dd marries as a virgin, but then her dh dies down the road, she may want to remarry to a widower. Even if that man is a wonderful man, never been with anyone but his wife, my dd is now dependent on the choices her new husband's dead wife made either before or during her marriage.

Yep, life happens. Messy, crazy, unpredictable life.

When everyone was giving the rotovirus vaccination, my doctor advised us to wait. We did, and they withdrew it because of problems.

But will the vaccine even be effective that long? We have to get tetanus shots every 10 years, because the 'wear off', so in that situation the best time to get the shot might be just before marrying the new guy. I don't know if there is info on the length of protection yet, but just something to think about. I wonder if women who marry someone that is a carrier will need boosters? IDK, because my dd is only 9 and at this point we are not getting this vax, but that would be interesting info to know.