Menu

I have a question for those whose kids...

waited until after age 18 to get their learner's permits/drivers license. My son isn't very anxious to drive, first of all. He'll be 18yo in 3 months and what I'm wondering is if he needs to go for driver's ed at his age. We live in MA and on the MA website it says 16-18 years of age, but it's not very specific to whether it's required.

My son has never been in a classroom setting and is dreading having to sit in one for 6 hours a day for a week. I was thinking of purchasing the driver's ed in a box for him, but it says it's not accepted in MA on the website.

Has anyone's kids out there waited beyond 18 years of age to get their learner's permit and did they skip the driver's ed class?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

I waited until I was 18. I was terrified! My dad was a great teacher. The poor man probably had whiplash injuries. :001_huh:

Our oldest also waited until she was 18. I WISH she had gone through driver's ed. She didn't like me telling her what to do. It was nerve wracking being in the passenger's seat. My imaginary brake pedal was constantly stomped on. :D

Also, driver's ed classes can get you lower insurance rates.

I never got around to getting my drivers license until I was about 20 (long story). At age 15 I took drivers ed at school.

I think drivers ed, whether you take it at a public school, through an independent company, or "in a box," is valuable. Even though there was a 5 year gap for me between drivers ed and obtaining a license, I remembered most of what I learned (can't say that about a lot of other classes!) and I think the information helps me to be a better driver even now.

If your son doesn't want to take drivers ed all in one week, is there someplace local that offers classes 1-2 times a week for multiple weeks?

There are two components here in VA to Driver's Ed--Classroom and Behind the Wheel. We did an online, classroom portion, which was accepted in VA, and then hired a company to do the Behind the Wheel portion.

FWIW, ds' first car is a stick shift--he has to learn to drive all over again.:tongue_smilie:

Our ds will be 19 next week and still only has his learner's permit. He did go through the homeschool driver's ed (something like "Help! My Teenager Wants to Drive!) and got his learner's at 16. He plans to get his license this spring. It's been good for him to wait because he really did not feel he was ready, and he was a bit of a homebody. We won't have to prove how much "on the road" time he had, or do the parent-taught on-the-road course. We also have not had to pay for insurance for him these past 3 years.

I am considering having him take some sort of online defensive driving course. I've heard that sometimes insurance companies give a discount for it, plus it might be a good review of the driver's ed course.

Let us know what you decide!

GardenMom

I have close friends who have a 19 year old in his sophomore year at UK here and he hasn't gotten his yet, LOL. We have purposefully dragged our feet with our 16 year old and he won't manage to get his until sometime this spring/summer, closer to his 17th birthday. If I could, I'd delay him longer. The older and more mature they are, the less likely they are to be involved in accidents. So I say, don't rush them!

but I've done some researching and 18 is considered an adult. He's so glad that he's waited because he doesn't want to sit in a classroom for 6 hours at a time, for a week or two days at a time!

I've checked around and a lot of sites say, UNDER 18 years of age.

I'm also relieved because, in MA, both my DH and I would have to attend a 2 hour course ourselves and we've been driving for 30 years!!

Anyway, I'm still thinking of buying driver's ed in a box just so my son can get good defensive training at home and then go get his permit and then take driving lessons from a reputable school.

Thanks again, Ladies!

Ds is 20 and still hasn't gone in to ask for a permit :D Our ds, 23 is still driving with a permit...his second or third at this point. Our eldest two dc got their driver's licenses the same day. Dd was 20 1/2 yrs. and ds was 18 1/2. He actually took the test first because she was nervous. None of the dc have objected to our schedule and none have had an accident. They buy their own cars and insurance when they begin to drive:auto: