Unemployment website

Sunday newspapers

careerbuilder.com

monster.com

yahoo hot jobs

snagajob.com

craigslist.org

Any others?

He isn't a professional, doesn't have a degree, and doesn't know a trade. He has a CDL-A, but *I* don't want him to drive OTR (we live in a bad neighborhood and I could not be here for weeks at a time without him.)

He's basically looking for a warehouse job or a local driving job. One other possibility is armed security (he's ex-Army.) I think his terrible credit will keep him from that, though - we'll have to see.

It would be great if he could make more than $10 an hour and be eligible for benefits, but it doesn't seem as if that is likely.

Delivering pizzas would require us to purchase another vehicle as we don't have one suitable. Lawn care or odd jobs is iffy - there are PLENTY of out of work guys already doing it. We need some more long-term stability.

Just thinking out loud hoping someone might have some ideas!

We are looking at:

Unemployment website

Sunday newspapers

careerbuilder.com

monster.com

yahoo hot jobs

snagajob.com

craigslist.org

Any others?

He isn't a professional, doesn't have a degree, and doesn't know a trade. He has a CDL-A, but *I* don't want him to drive OTR (we live in a bad neighborhood and I could not be here for weeks at a time without him.)

He's basically looking for a warehouse job or a local driving job. One other possibility is armed security (he's ex-Army.) I think his terrible credit will keep him from that, though - we'll have to see.

It would be great if he could make more than $10 an hour and be eligible for benefits, but it doesn't seem as if that is likely.

Delivering pizzas would require us to purchase another vehicle as we don't have one suitable. Lawn care or odd jobs is iffy - there are PLENTY of out of work guys already doing it. We need some more long-term stability.

Are we talking about dh with kids to feed or an extended relative with no other responsibilities?

Barb

We are looking at:

Unemployment website

Sunday newspapers

careerbuilder.com

monster.com

yahoo hot jobs

snagajob.com

craigslist.org

Any others?

If he has a cdl then I think you guys should move to a low cost of living state and have him get a job. Texas would be ideal for his job and cost of living. You may have to move.

He has a CDL-A, but *I* don't want him to drive OTR (we live in a bad neighborhood and I could not be here for weeks at a time without him.)

I just saw this, so I'm assuming dh.

My advice would be to do what you can to keep food on the table, at least in the short term. Now more than ever you have to go where the jobs are. You are in more danger from economic ruin than you are from a stranger in a bad neighborhood. Not pretty choices, I know, but it doesn't seem like a good time to be choosy. You can continue helping him look for jobs while he's driving...he doesn't have to do in permanently, KWIM? In the meantime, have you thought of temp agencies? Does he have any office skills?

Barb

Personal connections - aka networking.

Yes, I agree with this. Networking can take time to come through, though. Find something short term without giving up on finding a long term solution. And you will find something much faster if you are willing to move as Elaine says. We went through this twice in 14 months, and it wasn't until we were willing to consider moving anywhere in the country that things began to turn around for us.

Barb

Often the best way to find a job is through a friend, or a friend of a friend. My dh recently got a new job, but before that he had several interviews and talked with lots of people he knew about possible jobs. It just happened for us that the one through Monster.com came through first.

Good luck with the job hunt!

:iagree: Even social networking sites such as Facebook - have him look up his former Army buddies, too, because it seems to be a lot more about WHO you know than WHAT you know. My husband had a former soldier look him up on Facebook, and got the inside scoop on a position that he never would have thought or been privy to otherwise. Get the word out, even amongst aquaintances (church attendees, neighbors, parents of your kids' friends, et cetera).

My brother in law went back in (military) as a last resort.

I wish you good fortune in finding something that will work out for your family :).

When we've been looking for work (and although it was dh in need of a job, it always felt like a family project!), every resource I looked at emphasized talking to people you know. It was easier for us because dh is a high level computer programmer and has a network of friends and colleagues, but it's (statistically speaking) supposed to help with any job search.

...and I know that all of dh's jobs have come from personal contacts - actually all have been jobs that weren't yet listed anywhere, but personal connections either caused the company to approach him and try to recruit him or got him in contact with the right people before a listing had been drawn up.

When my brother was looking for a flexible job to do while working on his masters, it was the friend of a friend who connected him with the hiring person at an HP mail room, and it was that personal connection, combined with him own amazing personality, that got him the job.

Does your dh know anyone who has a similar job to the kind he's looking for? Or who works somewhere that offers that type of job?

Cold calls can sometimes lead to interviews... or dropping in and chatting with a hiring manager.

Is there any possibility that he could get a scholarship and financial aid to go back to school for more training? That combined, perhaps, with a part time work study job might bring in enough to keep you going for a little while...

Good luck, honey! I hate the uncertainty of job searches - it can be a scary, stressful process.

:grouphug:

He has told everyone he knows that he is looking for a job.

School is one possibility, but scholarships and a PT job won't support a family of 9. If he can't find a job by September, this is what he will do.

Edited by Renee in FL

How would he apply, interview, etc. for jobs if he was OTR? My understanding from people we know who have driven OTR is that you *might* get 36 hours at home every few weeks. It seems that if he went OTR he would be stuck with whatever job he had until he quit all together to find another one. That doesn't bode well for temporary.

You're right, it wouldn't be easy. Phone interviews would have to suffice while he's on the road, but if someone liked him well enough on the phone, they may be willing to wait for him to get back. Alternatively, he could work OTR with the idea that it is for X amount of time to save X money and then take off and job hunt full time. It just sounds like you're getting to the point where doing the same thing isn't working anymore and that you may need to jump in somewhere even if the bottom is murky. Sometimes the best opportunties come up where you least expect them. Life isn't always linear and cause/effect. Sometimes just shaking up the status quo is the best way to get things happening in the right direction. :grouphug:

Barb

ETA: Just noticed you deleted the post I quoted above. I'm sorry if I requoted something you didn't want posted after all.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

School is one possibility, but scholarships and a PT job won't support a family of 9. If he can't find a job by September, this is what he will do.

Another thing you may want to think about is a vocational certificate of some sort. Community colleges can often offer training in a specific area with little time or cash outlay.

Barb

Another thing you may want to think about is a vocational certificate of some sort. Community colleges can often offer training in a specific area with little time or cash outlay.

Barb

This is a good idea. And due to your circumstances, he might qualify for one of the govt programs that pays the tuition for you. I know govt programs are constantly changing, so I don't know if this is still available, but I know a married man who was given a living stipend in addition to having all his tuition paid. I have no problem with those kinds of govt programs, because those people are going to get jobs and contribute to society with their skills and taxes.

Is he able to consider going back to the military? Good training there. My dh received his electronics training in the Navy and it has served him well in the private sector. He joined and we all went with him to live in base housing while he worked. Just a thought. I'm sorry it is so difficult for you right now.

Ginger

Edited by Blueridge
adding a thought.

Thanks all for the messages here and the PM's.

Two things happened today:

1. We found out he was denied extended unemployment because he didn't work enough weeks in his base period. I just checked the dates of his base period and the problem was that he was considered self-employed for most of that time. This means that we now have $0 income until I start working (I have a PT job starting next week.)

2. He stopped in at a place we used to do business with and they seemed very promising that he would be able to get a job there. It is a corporate location, though, so he has to jump through all the hoops, but as long as their are no snags he will most likely have a job. Keep him in your prayers and thoughts - this happened before with Lowes and he was denied employment after 2 interviews. We *think* it was a credit check problem, but we're not sure. Another Lowes was ready to hire him and the same thing happened - job all but offered and then nothing (not even a return phone call.)

Anyway, he isn't above doing anything, but we do have a "priority list" of sorts. If it comes down to moving, driving OTR, or the military again, we'll move to FL and live with my mother.:tongue_smilie: That's how strongly feel about some things!:D