Menu

Literary Lessons from LOTR- additional books

Those of you who have used LLfLOTR what other books did you read?

I had considered having ds read The Hobbit during the summer.

Then first semester read-

A Middle English Reader and Vocabulary

An Epic (Illiad, Odyssey, or Aeneid)

Macbeth

Beowulf

If you were only going to read one epic which one would you choose?

Second semester-

The Tempest

Redwall

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves

Does this look right? Are there better choices?

Mandy

Sir Gawain! You must read this!! :)

Yes, read The Hobbit before LLfLOTR.

Beowulf read by Seamus Heany is wonderful. You can probably find it at your library.

Sounds like a fun reading list you have planned. Ds did something similar this year:

King Arthur

Beowulf

Sir Gawain

The Hobbit

LOTR

Sir Gawain! You must read this!! :)

LOL!!! That's a bit of an about face from what I remember from this previous post by you, Beth, fretting over Sir Gawain! :tongue_smilie:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66792&highlight=sir+gawain

Teasing you big time, Beth! That post of yours turned into such a great conversation. Isn't great when literature we don't connect with right away, but that we take the time to really chew on and discuss often becomes a favorite?! I just wish I could be in a book club with you and the other ladies on this board! :001_smile:

Hugs, Lori

I'm trying to track this all down too. Somebody suggested a lot of Rosemary Sutcliff's books. She has her version of Oysseus, Illiad, an Arthurian trilogy, and a lot more. My son will be in 7th so I thought they might work. Any feed back on those or any others?

! I just wish I could be in a book club with you and the other ladies on this board! :001_smile:

Hugs, Lori

I guess we'll have to settle for our cyber book club here :)

Who else could I discuss these books w/ irl? No one I know tackles these titles. I'm so thankful for the folks here!

Happy Easter!!

Hi,

My sons and I are currently listening to the Odyssey using the translated version by Robert Fagles and read by Ian McKellen. It is wonderful - long, but wonderful! To hear the story brings another dimension to it. They love hearing the story on the long car rides. There are 11 Cd's to the series lasting 1 hour each. If you can spare the time, I would highly recommend trying to find this at your local library. I hope this helps you! :001_smile:

Terri

Definitely read the hobbit first.

We did the Iliad- an adult version. Actually, we did that before LOTR.

However, it is pretty heavy going for a 7th grader (although mine were that age). But we had fun- I had another boy I was homeschooling at the time and all the fighting was perfect.

Personally, I prefer the Odyssey, and I love the movie with Greta Scacci (sp?) in it. But I am glad we did the Iliad.

If you wanted to use older children's versions, I would do all three! Wonderful stories.

Looks like a fun year!