Menu

WTM 10th Anniversary Conf.: What are you bringing to make the most of it?

There was a thread on what to bring to a conference in general, and it was mostly focused on how to make your shopping experience efficient and comfortable (I wrote down a lot of good tips from that thread). I'm going to the WTM conf. because of the workshops, and am starting to think about what I should bring to make the most of my time there. What are you thinking of bringing, to do this? I'm thinking of things like:

-my well-worn, written in WTM book, so I can x-ref. and make more notes in it

-my WEM book, to make more notes in and x-ref.

-my WWE book, yes, to make notes in and ask questions about, and try to follow a thread of learning patterns as SWB talks about logic stage after WWE

-my Corbett rhetoric book - notes, questions

-my d'Angelo progym book - notes, questions

-a fat stack of lined note-taking paper and several pens

-maybe my Thomas Kane writing book

I think that if I have these things with me, I can look things up right away during the workshops, so I can follow what's being talked about, and write/organize additional thoughts in the evenings before I go home.

I'm flying with just a carry-on bag, so I might not have room in my carry-on for clothes, LOL! I'm thinking I might stuff a bookbag into my carry-on, and transport my books each day to the workshops.

Anyone else?

I have never been to a HS'ing conference (a convention yes, conference non), so I don't really know what to expect! I am excited though! I'm so glad we worked it out so I could go! I think I'll be bringing plenty of notetaking paper, but otherwise, I don't know. If I have room, I'll bring my WTM copy too (great idea), and my school schedule drafts for marking up. Maybe SWB would sign our WTM's too! hee hee!

BTW, you're flying right? Were you able to get a flight out of Newport News on Sat. night? I couldn't find one single flight (at least to Boston, where I need to go), so I have to leave Sun. morning. I reserved a hole in the wall place near the airport for that Sat. night to save money. My Sun. flight is at 7am, so it's not like I will be needing a bunch of ammenities for that night - just a bed! I'm not reserving a car either - doing the cab thing, so that should be interesting. I wish we all knew each other's schedules so that we could hook up rides together! Anyway....

I'm going to bring my WTM, my Kindle, maybe my WEM, and a notebook for much note taking. I really don't like to be lugging much around. I'm assuming there will not be much shopping available but I'm not certain about that. Should I better prepare in that area?

I'll be flying alone from Atlanta on Thursday and back home on Sunday. Also I'll be renting a car in Richmond. Does anyone need a lift? Anyone else coming through Atlanta? Anyone else coming alone?

I have never been to a HS'ing conference (a convention yes, conference non), so I don't really know what to expect! I am excited though! I'm so glad we worked it out so I could go! I think I'll be bringing plenty of notetaking paper, but otherwise, I don't know. If I have room, I'll bring my WTM copy too (great idea), and my school schedule drafts for marking up. Maybe SWB would sign our WTM's too! hee hee!

BTW, you're flying right? Were you able to get a flight out of Newport News on Sat. night? I couldn't find one single flight (at least to Boston, where I need to go), so I have to leave Sun. morning. I reserved a hole in the wall place near the airport for that Sat. night to save money. My Sun. flight is at 7am, so it's not like I will be needing a bunch of ammenities for that night - just a bed! I'm not reserving a car either - doing the cab thing, so that should be interesting. I wish we all knew each other's schedules so that we could hook up rides together! Anyway....

Oh yeah, can't wait to hear that Boston accent (if I meet you, that is!). My Dad is from Dah-chestah, and my Mom is from Reading. :D I'll be listening in the crowd for you......:lol:

I'm flying in and out of Richmond, and renting a car, too. I got a car rental for $12 U.S./day, with VISA covering my insurance, so it's much cheaper for me than taking a cab. I'm flying through Newark and hoping to meet some old friends of mine, too!

I'm going to bring my WTM, my Kindle, maybe my WEM, and a notebook for much note taking. I really don't like to be lugging much around. I'm assuming there will not be much shopping available but I'm not certain about that. Should I better prepare in that area?

I'll be flying alone from Atlanta on Thursday and back home on Sunday. Also I'll be renting a car in Richmond. Does anyone need a lift? Anyone else coming through Atlanta? Anyone else coming alone?

I got an e-mail from PHP listing the vendors - there aren't many, but I think it's because it's meant to be a conference, not a curric. fair (is that what you meant, Stacey, by convention?).

And yes, I'm going alone.

I'm just going to bring a notebook, pen, small water bottle, purse, and empty canvas bag.

I don't like carrying much either.

If my nine-year old comes with me, he'll bring a canvas bag with a notebook, pencils, book and an MP-3 player.

I think I have an over-zealous list of things I'm thinking of bringing.....it's subject to change. I tend to do that when I go places, thinking I'm going to have all sorts of time to do things I don't usually do at home. Reality is, I'll probably be so busy taking notes I won't have time to look things up! Though I could still bring my books and leave them in my hotel room to look through at night when my head is swirling with new information....

I just wondered if anyone else had any brilliant ideas.

Ahem....one of you needs to take a digital camera, USB cord and laptop and post photos!!

Who has a blog and is up for this important task of keeping the rest of us up to date?!

And Colleen, honey, write your questions in a spiral notebook before you leave and just take that along with some pens and pencils. You don't need to weigh yourself down with all those books!! Just listen and take notes -- you can compare your notes to your books later.

Ahem....one of you needs to take a digital camera, USB cord and laptop and post photos!!

Who has a blog and is up for this important task of keeping the rest of us up to date?!

And Colleen, honey, write your questions in a spiral notebook before you leave and just take that along with some pens and pencils. You don't need to weigh yourself down with all those books!! Just listen and take notes -- you can compare your notes to your books later.

Thanks for the reminder! I'll take some pictures. :D

There are a few vendors, but since I'm flying in, I doubt that I will be able to bring much home with me due to luggage limits/weight limits. I'm hoping that Memoria Press will allow ordering with free shipping...

Usborne will have $5 shipping on all orders and discounts on purchases. I am also taking requests for what people would like to see....

:lol: You're right! I think I'll just go through them and write down things I'm wondering about.

I'm bringing a camera, too, but I still haven't figured out how to post my own picture on my profile, nevermind post pictures on here. I'll have to get techno-dh to help me. No blog, but I can post my version here when I get home, if you like!

I think everyone from these boards who attends should bring SWB a sample of some local delicacy from their neck of the woods - in particular chocolate - as a treat for her.

Great idea! How about for Jessie Wise and the rest of the PHP crew, too? I'll bet they're all working hard to get this conference running. :hurray::hurray: