Menu

Piecing your own curriculum together. What is THE best stuff?

Woodland_Mom

I'm not sure if your asking for future reference or for the coming school yr.

For the ages of your dc, for history, we really enjoyed SOTW with the activity guides. My dss really got a lot out of it and always enjoyed reading or listening to the stories, and the projects we would do.

Science, on the other hand, at that age we unfortuantely had a hard time getting around to. So I can't be much help there.

By the way, where in the Valley are you? We're up in Front Royal.

For history, I've never seen any packaged curriculum I like better than doing it myself. I choose a spine I think is right for the child in question, pick books I think that student will enjoy and learn from, and figure out how to fit it together.

For young ones like yours, science was always pretty informal. I'd pick a text or a series of books or maybe even workbooks on a topic of interest and then supplement with experiments and activities, field trips, videos, etc.

Actually, when mine were young, the majority of their science education was through classes at the local nature preserve. We did two a month with our homeschool group, and they were great.

Honestly, my feeling about curricula in general is that there is no such thing as "best." The key is to find materials that work for you and your children.

My guys have loved just about any Usborne history or science book. They pull them off the shelf over and over and over... Any of the DK Eyewitness books have also been worth any price we paid; little guys love all the pictures, older guys can actually read and digest the text. If I only knew half of what was in all our Eyewitness books (we have over 30 of them), I'd feel nice and educated.

Well, this is our 9th year of homeschooling so when folks ask me what we use for curriculum, I tell them we've settled on WEWFU, we pronounce it Woo-foo. We love WEWFU, What Ever Works For US gives us the flexibility to tailor each child's education to perfectly fit, the very heart of homeschooling. WEWFU is the best of the best! :)