Menu

ballet students --female content

My dd has gotten very serious about ballet. She's at the studio 5 days a week. They wear no undergarment. The tights are next to the skin, then the dance dress. Dd has not started her period yet, but I'm expecting it within a year. I've explained all the basics and she has books on it. I guess she will have to wear tampons. Do you use the panty liners in the tights? She will not miss a week's worth of dance classes every month. Maybe the first time she'll miss a class or 2. I was thinking about putting together a kit of stuff she'll need to keep with her at class.

How did you handle this?

My 12yo dd is in company ballet and jazz and they have a "no undergarments" rule. I have taught her how to use a tampon and so far this has worked well as far as dance is concerned. She does not use pantyliners in her leo (as I would think they might slip with so much movement?), but has had no "accidents" while dancing.

She has much more of a problem with no bra, as she is much more endowed than most of the girls!

What's the deal with no undergarment? We always wore 'knickers' when dancing, ALWAYS! My Mum would have been horrified if the teacher suggested otherwise.

It's not see through. It's two layers--the tights and then the dance dress, which is a leotard with a skirt. It provides a smooth silouette. (sp???) And no underwear peaking out below the leo leg holes. The younger girls don't even wear tights. Still, that is just like wearing a bathing suit. Not a big deal to me and after being around this a while, I understand the requirement.

pads and dance shorts atop the leotard.

My dd has no experience with this, but I've given it some thought and she is small. I mean super duper petite. I'm thinking tampons are not going to be an option for a while, so we may have to go the shorts route. :confused:

We have a no panty rule, too, fwiw.

I get what you are saying about 2 layers, not see through etc but surely that isn't too healthy. If they wear high cut underwear and a skirt you can't see anything anyway, that's what we always did. Do you think the teacher would know if she wore her underwear for the week she had her period? And if she did know do you think she would say anything?

My dd has gotten very serious about ballet. She's at the studio 5 days a week. They wear no undergarment. The tights are next to the skin, then the dance dress. Dd has not started her period yet, but I'm expecting it within a year. I've explained all the basics and she has books on it. I guess she will have to wear tampons. Do you use the panty liners in the tights? She will not miss a week's worth of dance classes every month. Maybe the first time she'll miss a class or 2. I was thinking about putting together a kit of stuff she'll need to keep with her at class.

How did you handle this?

My niece is a very small 12 yr old national champ gymnast w/ the same clothing rule. She got her first period a week before her national comp. SHe had to start off with period one with a tampon. It took her a few days but she got it. They make them very small.. good luck.

My 14 yo dd is a serious ballet dancer, been taking class 10 years. She wears just tights and leo, no skirt or shorts. She had to go with a tampon with her first cycle. She was very stressed the first few times. I would suggest buying small boxes of different kinds for her to try. That way you aren't stuck with a lot of ones she doesn't like. My dd likes Playtex Sport, regular, and the Tampax Pearl, lite, at the end of her cycle.

Mary

I don't know if your studio has a strict dress code, but when I was dancing I would wear my pink tights w/ a pantiliner (and a tampon of course), my leotard, a pair of footless black tights over my leotard. If it were a particularly heavy day, I'd wear nylon dance shorts over all that.

Also, use the most absorbent tampon you can get. The ones for lighter flow seems to shift too much when you're dancing.