Menu

Need some help for a new hs mom - curr for child with some learning issues

I just had a call from a soon-to-be hs mom. She has a 12yodd in 5th grade that has some learning issues. She said the child has been on seizure medicine her entire life and she believes it has affected the way she processes information. The child is not lazy at all, and is quite willing, but she is hoping for some suggestions for programs that would work well with this type of learner.

Presently, the child goes to school all day, and they work on homework for appx 4 hours each evening as well.

Anyone dealt with something such as this? If so, do you have recommendations for programs that worked for your child?

Thanks for any experiences. I'd like to have some things to share with her on Monday. If no one minds, I'd like to print the responses here and make a little packet for her.

Thanks again!

My ds7 is on seizure meds that make him dopey for and hour or two after he takes them, and that is the obvious effects. He does MUS, Comprehensive Curriculum for grammar, switching to Growing with grammar next year, Story of the World, R.E.A.L. science:life, and we just started with key word outlines from IEW. One thing I have done is adjust his med schedule so that he gets up and does at least half of his work before meds. History, his least liked subject, shows the least amount of retention and is often done in the afternoon after meds. He shows the least amount of retention of all my kids and needs frequent review.

I have an LD child that I homeschooled. I had to go right back to the basics with her when I pulled her out of school. That's my suggestion. Go right back to where the child feels the most comfortable with what she's learned. That way, you'll have started off with success and even if you have to re-teac her, it will be worth it.

Guest rmcx5

My daughter (age 9) with a processing deficit is doing very well with Rod & Staff English (3rd grade). We do most of it orally because she also has a motor deficit that is made worse by the processing one....I have her do most of the review lessons on paper to make sure she "has it" from a motor perspective. For spelling, she's using All About Spelling and loves it!!! More traditional programs just didn't "stick" with her long-term. Generally, we use an eclectic mix for all the kids but have definitely had to search out a few different things for DD9. The other things that she uses is: Hooked on Phonics Master Reader (just finished), BJU Reading 4, Wordly Wise 3000 2nd ed Book 3, Horizons Math 3, A Reason for Handwriting T (transition to cursive), Apologia Zoo 2 with siblings, A Child's Geography (with sibs) and Abeka History 3. We started IEW for writing but it was a bit too much writing from the student DVDs so we stepped back a bit and will start again next yr. She and her 6 yo brother will be starting Sonlight Core 1+2 soon since they've both finished their history texts. She also receives OT services 2x per week to help with her processing/motor deficits. This has helped her problem solving skills as well as strengthening her motor skills.

I would figure out if she needs math and phonics review. Working through MUS quickly is probably the easiest for math review, and my phonics lessons are good for older students.

She can take a math placement test at the MUS website to see where she is in math. I have reading grade level test that I'll link, the WRRT will give a falsely high grade level, it is based on sight words, the NRRF test will give a grade level that accurately reflects how they can read a normal book but is a grade or two below current grade level norms, it's based on grade level norms from the early 1900's when phonics was taught well.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

My youngest has a traumatic brain injury and has been on seizure medications since she was 3 years old. Her seizures are fairly under control, but the medicine definitely affects her, she also has trouble with processing information. Her biggest problem is that by appearances, she looks perfectly normal and is able to hide her disability that even the public school teachers assumed she was learning in a normal way. She was not and it took so much time dealing with ARD, etc that I pulled her to homeschool her even though the Occupatioal therapy she received was wonderful.

I have found that homeschooling has worked wonders for her. When I was at her Neurologist last month he was absolutely THRILLED that I was homeschooling her. He feels that has been one reason that so many aspects of her life are showing marked improvement. School physically/mentally wore her out, and now we can do things for short periods of time and she really does so much better.

The things that she does like and seem to work well for her (she is age 9) are

She enjoys Math U See, but she likes Teaching Textbooks better. She enjoys doing the math sheets from Calculadders (we do half sheets, with the print enlarged) and she just loves seeing her scores increase daily.

She LOVEs EASY Grammar and Daily Grams, she said that making correct sentences is finally making sense.

Handwriting is Handwriting Without Tears, but we started that at age 5 in Occupational Therapy.

She did not like a Childs History of the World but is enjoying Story of the World accompanied by reading from the Bible Story book also has been very enjoyable.

On the advice of her Neurologist, Neuro Psych and her Occupational Therapist we do school in chunks. we do about 45 minutes then let her relax, stretch, draw and then go back to school for 45 minutes. She gets about 3 1/2 hours a day of solid work and she is progressing so well.

Art has always been hard for her, but she is absolutely loving the online Mark Kissler art lessons as she can watch them and follow along. I'm amazed that she is improving so dramatically.

I think your friend will be happy to find that her daughter will do much better at home. She can PM if she wants.