Menu

Might teach someone else's child--is this fair?

Some questions I'm having--

A friend's piano teacher is looking for someone to school her child. She'll be in 3rd grade, is a sweetie, and unfortunately, is getting sick at school. Her mom and I haven't talked yet, but I'm preparing myself.

I don't want to be money motivated, but I need to charge enough to make it worth my time, and it will be my "part-time job," because I won't have the energy to teach this child and go to work somewhere else, also. I'm thinking I can use a lot of dd's old curriculum, and keep my dd and her together for history, science, and grammar, and I'll read them the same books. I don't know if we will do art. That leaves math, readers, and spelling to be individualized. So, I won't have to plan that much (I use Saxon, which is scripted, and SWO, which is also open-and-go), but I do want to be paid for some planning time.

I'm thinking of offering 4 hours of time in which to do the above subjects. I will be going on numerous field trips, which I would detail ahead of time, and I wouldn't charge for them. I would ask for her to pay for the curriculum I don't have, but it'd only be about $100. I think I may ask for 1K a month, for 32 weeks of school.

I figure I'm offering more than a private school would--truly small classes, very individualized, and I'd even do her testing at the end of the year.

Do you think this is a fair offer? BTW, she's able to afford this price w/o a problem.

For a nine-month school year that's $9000/yr., higher than most of the private schools in my area (except the really elite ones). We couldn't afford that even in our wildest dreams...however, if the mom can pay that and you're delivering an education worthy of that monetary amount, and you feel you wouldn't be sacrificing your family life, time with your daughter, and what not, then I would say go for it. I would think through every ramification carefully before consenting to do this, though.

Yes, it does have many ramifications. I would call for a trial period, and write up a contract. I'm an honest, what you see is what you get type, and I'd really sit down with her and her child several times.

Oh, and here in Northern VA, $9000 is about right.

That is about what private elementary schools charge in our area. IMO if you do a good job, you are offering more that a private school would, in that you will have a fabulous student/teacher ratio. Don't shortchange yourself; you deserve appropriate compensation. (A private tutor in our area is roughly $30/hour. At 4 hours per day that would be over $2000/month. Just to put it in perspective.)

That is about what private elementary schools charge in our area. IMO if you do a good job, you are offering more that a private school would, in that you will have a fabulous student/teacher ratio. Don't shortchange yourself; you deserve appropriate compensation. (A private tutor in our area is roughly $30/hour. At 4 hours per day that would be over $2000/month. Just to put it in perspective.)

I should have thought of it in terms of private tutor rate. When we lived in Mpls. my husband tutored, and his company charged $50/hr...that was four years ago.

I would also be sure to factor in sick days and months where you won't be doing as much schooling (i.e. we take off almost the whole month of December). Who will keep the child then?

Also, are you babysitting any afterward, or does the mom come pick her up after 4 hours of school?

On some really hard days, it has taken my son more than 4 hours to do his school work. If this issue arises, what will the plan be?

Personally, I would leave her the task of choosing and buying curriculum. I wouldn't touch that one...and I am not sure i would offer up any for free. It surely wasn't free when you bought it.

Just things to think about. I used to be a contract technical writer and let me tell ya...drawing up a contract is tough stuff when it comes to making sure every single thing is covered...just incase.

I have done this. I rcvd that amount for 4 girls, but it was more of a labor of love/ministry. I worked my butt off and I earned every penny and then some. Trust me.;) That said, what made it 'work' for our family was sitting down with the parents and talking about education ideologies. Why did they want me to hs their kids? What were they looking for in said education? Would they be willing to use the curriculum I picked out? This is very important, b/c people get very passionate about education and want their children to receive the education they want. Does this make any sense? I told my family that I followed TWTM and that would be what I did with their girls. I was not rude, but I essentially told them that this was what they would get with me as the teacher. They were very supportive and it worked out well, but I could see it not in many situations. You also want to take into consideration practical issues. When would she arrive everyday? Are you expected to make breakfast and/or lunch for her or will it come with her? What if she is sick? What about emergency situations? All these things I walked through with the parents before I agreed to hs these girls.

Finally, discipline issues, what to do if there is a problem in that regard. Trust me, it will come into play at some point. It may not be severe, but face it, we all have days when we don't feel like doing what we should, a child is no different.

Sorry this is so long. HTH.

Wow, I don't get nearly that much but I would take it if I could! The parent might expect a full day of school if she is paying that much. Don't underestimate how much time an extra student takes. 4 hours may not be enough when you include a break or two and giggly little girls who prefer to talk than do their Latin.

Make sure you choose the curriculum and books you are comfortable with.

Get a contract in writing. Not just x amount of money per month, but what happens if she doesn't pay on time, what happens if you are sick or she is late picking up her dd. I chose to say "the school year costs x amount and can be paid in monthly installments of x" rather than an hourly rate. If you use an hourly rate you run into sticky things like the times the girls are taking a break or when you are working with your dd. Do you get paid then, or not and who is in charge of keeping track of hours? If you get sick or take spring break you lose that income. I prefer the predictability of a standard monthly payment, but that's me.

You also need a liability release for any accidents that happen on your property and while driving.

I would talk about educational philosophy. Is she excited about a classical education or is she concerned that her dd be doing what they do in ps?

My future clients (if I ever get any!) will be required to read the Dorothy Sayers essay and portions of WTM.

Will she expect report cards? When will you start each day and what happens if you are late? How will you deal with conflicts between your dd and this girl? How will you deal with her introducing your dd to things you might not be thrilled about?

Be prepared to change things if necessary along the way and keep communication open.

VERY good points here. :iagree:

Do they know what it is at school that is making her sick? You might want to know that.

Both my son and myself are very chemically sensitive. I know that he would not survive very long in ps but most homes wouldn't work for him either as most homes have things like scented candles, bleach, scented laundry products, room deodorizers, paints and floor coverings can be an issue, the list simply goes on and on. Do you use any of these products and if so are you willing to change if they are the issue?

I would want to be the one that picked the matterial that we used. I would go over with the parents what you use and why but have it understood that the matterial choices are mine. Now that said we all know that different children learn different. Are you willing to use something different in the areas of LA and Math if what you are using with your child doesn't work for this other child?

I think that the only other thing that came to my mind is a release form for in case of an accident and for field trips. You might want something here on file. When I baby sat I had a release form giving me permission to have the children treated in case of an emergency and couldn't get ahold of a parent.

Just some more things to look at.