Menu

If you've ever started actively dieting, did you experience detox-like symptoms?

For the last week or so I've been very strict with my calorie intake. I'm still pretty much eating what I would normally eat, but I'm tracking the calories very carefully and just generally eating less of everything. I feel fine, my blood sugar hasn't been a problem, I'm eating a decent balance of protein, carbs, and fat, etc. I'm definitely eating fewer carbs because I'm just eating less in general, but it's not like I cut them out altogether. My energy level feels about the same.

The problem is that I've had a headache for a week, and I've been so irritable, I can barely even stand to be around myself, let alone other people :glare: My typically already-short fuse is now nonexistent, and I'm finding myself thinking angry thoughts all day long, about the smallest of things. DH says the headache is a detox thing and will pass, and I'm wondering (hoping!) that the irritability is too.

Has anyone experienced this? TIA!

Edited by melissel

Yup! I started back on my diet (Weight Watchers) last week and I'm just getting over a headache I had for a solid 4 days...it was horrible! I always get this when I go off the diet and overdo the sugar and wheat. On Weight Watchers I'm forced to eat a lot healthier and the detox is awful but once it is over I feel a lot better. Give it a few days and it will get better. Just remember to drink LOTS of water and don't push the exercise until you're feeling better. Good luck! :)

Adding: About the mood thing...I got that too. Totally grumpy and on a short fuse...that too passes. Hang in there!

The problem is that I've had a headache for a week, and I've been so irritable, I can barely even stand to be around myself, let alone other people :glare: My typically already-short fuse is now nonexistent, and I'm finding myself thinking angry thoughts all day long, about the smallest of things. DH says the headache is a detox thing and will pass, and I'm wondering (hoping!) that the irritability is too.

Sounds like sugar withdrawal to me.:grouphug:

For the last week or so I've been very strict with my calorie intake. I'm still pretty much eating what I would normally eat, but I'm tracking the calories very carefully and just generally eating less of everything. I feel fine, my blood sugar hasn't been a problem, I'm eating a decent balance of protein, carbs, and fat, etc. I'm definitely eating fewer carbs because I'm just eating less in general, but it's not like I cut them out altogether. My energy level feels about the same.

Yes the whole grumpy thing was/can be totally me. I get mad at the pillow for sitting wrong on the bed!!! For me, when I cut out carbs, I am at my worst-- however, this passes after a few days & then I feel sooo much better.

When I plan on a short bit of being carb free, I wait until hubby is out of town, it helps the marriage last longer :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the replies. It helps to know it's not outside the range of normal! Today is somewhat better, though I think I'm needing a break from the kids too. Having no down time is not helping! Maybe I'll sneak off to B&N tonight and read the nutrition books to keep myself motivated :D

Whenever I start significantly cutting back on my intake of food, I experience headaches. I am headache (migraine) prone to begin with.

Basically I have learned I have to:

1) do it gradually --- there will be no quick weight loss for me!

2) learn to have healthy snacks -- A lot of people say this, but I really do HAVE to have small meals, can't go too long without a little something to eat, etc. The best things for me (to snack on in between meals) are a few almonds or mini carrots and hummus (something with protein - NOT crackers or pretzels). I have always needed to eat frequently - what I had to learn is to eat much LESS at actual meals so I could continue small snacks.

I don't know how to avoid the grumpiness!!!!!

Exercise maybe?!

:glare:

Yes! I'm not dieting now, but have experienced detox symptoms in the past. I never did a diet where I "starved" myself with too few calories and I've never been much of a sugar-starch eater. But when I started a diet with different, healthier foods I got major headaches, crazy emotions, and generally awful feelings all over my body, almost as though I were sick.

After a few days the symptoms disappeared and I felt great. But the beginning was very hard to get through and I gave up the 1st day more times than I like to admit.

Hang in there and get healthier! Good for you!:001_smile:

You didn't say how many calories you are consuming, but eating too few calories can give you a headache. When I was in the hospital with anorexia, they said that a headache is a sign of hunger. It eventually passes as the body goes into starvation mode, but they wanted us to learn to recognize it as a sign of being hungry and needing to eat. If your calories are too low, hunger could be driving your headache.