Menu

This is just bizarre...update on "Chicken Pox"...

Okay, my little guy has about 15-20 "bug bite" looking marks on him. He went to bed last night and he was getting more and more. He woke up this morning and half of them were gone! Some are still there, but not as bad as they were yesterday.

The doctor said that when a child has been vaccinated, sometimes chicken pox are "hard to call" since the virus comes out in a different way and is usually not severe at all.

So, my question now is...Does my kid have CP? And if he does, but the spots aren't "crusty," is he contagious?

Blah!

No sore throat or fever (although *I* have both right now). He hasn't had one at all recently. The spots do seem to itch. They are red, round and raised up like when a mosquito bites, but they don't have a hole in the middle. They are not pustules or blisters at all. They are just red raised bumps that are the size of a pencil eraser or so.

Are they clustered? Concentrated in areas (like the groin, armpits etc)? It sounds more like hives than the chicken pox. Especially since they're going away. IME chicken pox doesn't do that.

My dd used to get hives. Sometimes she got them for no apparent reason or for simply becoming overheated.

developed a case of mild chicken pox after being vaccinated, somewhat like you are describing. I forget if they were contagious...but I'm thinking we treated it as such and he was home for a bit. If I remember correctly, they resolved within a few days.

Do you know a nurse or someone medical who could take a look at them and see what they think?

My son got the exact same thing. He started out covered in spots and was somewhat itchy. We put him in a long tub with a bunch of baking soda. They were all gone in a day or two and he was feeling fine for the most part. They weren't hives, they looked just like chicken pox, and spread out over his entire body.

I'm suseptible to chicken pox (had it about 4 times to varying degrees) and also shingles because it. He walked in our room a few months ago and asked "Hey daddy what are all these spots on me?" Let me tell you, that sat me straight up in bed! My husband spent the rest of the day keeping us seperated and washing sheets and spraying the house with lysol. He kept his distance from me for a few days, and I never picked it up which is good. But he may not have been contagious because he had also been vaccinated for it, so I guess it was just a really mild case.

Definitely sounds more like hives than chicken pox to me too. Hives *do* come and go like that (sometimes they'll disappear completely after one outbreak, and other times they'll go down and pop up elsewhere over the body for days or weeks). Usually Benedryl will cure the itching and suppress them (at least for a while).

But nothing you described sounds like chicken pox there...

That happened to my daughter once. My mom was caring for her at the time and was sure that it was chicken pox and took her to the doctor. The doctor said no, they had all appeared too quickly, it must be bug bites (?), take Benadryl. Sure enough, the spots disappeared with Benadryl. Very weird.

My kids had that happen too. Our ped said the same thing, it is 'hard to call' when they have been vaxed. Many kids go to school with it thinking they just have bug bites, but they are contagious.

Try benadryl, and if they don't go away then try to stay home just in case. Keep all of the kids away from those with compromised immune systems just in case for 21 days. My cancer kiddo was exposed by someone who did not think it was a big deal *sigh*.