Menu

Consistency...

I have such a problem w/ this. I make great plans. Sometimes I follow through for a couple of days. Never more than a week.

Any miracle cures? I mean, I've got enough self-discipline to get plenty done on my own. I'm a procrastinator & full of excuses, but I get stuff done. On time. Loads of stuff.

But when it comes to housework, hs'ing, stuff that involves coordinating w/ other people (i.e., my *children*), I'm a complete flake. Help.

I have such a problem w/ this. I make great plans. Sometimes I follow through for a couple of days. Never more than a week.

Any miracle cures? I mean, I've got enough self-discipline to get plenty done on my own. I'm a procrastinator & full of excuses, but I get stuff done. On time. Loads of stuff.

But when it comes to housework, hs'ing, stuff that involves coordinating w/ other people (i.e., my *children*), I'm a complete flake. Help.

Aubrey - I could have written this!

:lurk5:

Hope someone's got some answers for us. :bigear:

Aubrey - I could have written this!

:lurk5:

Hope someone's got some answers for us. :bigear:

Wow. I have *so* much respect for you...I'd never have guessed you'd struggle w/ the same thing. I feel a little better just knowing I'm in such good company! :001_smile:

I wish I had the answer. Turning off my computer would probably be a good start, but then I wouldn't know what all of y'all are doing! And I would be much more upset that I'm not so consistent because I would think I was the only one in the world who doesn't keep up with everything.

I do have to say school has gotten a little easier with the kids being a little older. They don't *like* school, but they are bored on their own, so they bug me to get to the fun stuff. Then I feel guilty and generally follow through.

Housework though? Forget it. I get everything half done then sit and feel miserable because I didn't get it all done. It's easier to be miserable than to get off my rear and just do it.

It's easier to be miserable than to get off my rear and just do it.

Oh my goodness, how true! Then I feel so awful by 11PM that I stay up & do as much of it as I can, & I'm exhausted the next day. Repeat cycle.

Apparently, I refuse to go to bed at a decent hour, though. It's been a lifelong bane. I comfort myself w/ the fact that the virtuous woman in P31 stayed up late, too. And then I try to forget that she got up early. :lol:

For homeschooling, what helps me stay consistent is to create a schedule/routine and teach it to my children. Not only does habit carry them through days when they are feeling flaky, it carries ME through days when I am feeling flaky! Housework is much the same. At 4pm Fridays, everyone cleans. Habit takes over.

I comfort myself w/ the fact that the virtuous woman in P31 stayed up late, too. And then I try to forget that she got up early. :lol:

Can I quote that one?:lol::lol::lol:

I am consistant with things I like to do. The problem is that I just don't like 1/2 of what I should do!

For homeschooling, what helps me stay consistent is to create a schedule/routine and teach it to my children. Not only does habit carry them through days when they are feeling flaky, it carries ME through days when I am feeling flaky! Housework is much the same. At 4pm Fridays, everyone cleans. Habit takes over.

I've tried that. It's not that I don't know what to do. It's that...I put off doing what I don't like to do & then can't cram it into the time leftover.

No, it's not even that, really. It's that I have to provide not just the instruction but the *energy* for our days. The dc can *tell* when I'm not there, & they...sneak away. Sometimes they physically run off & play. Sometimes they mentally drift.

And I can tell it's totally me on those days. It's *so* hard to bring them back *focused.* Like today. When we finally sat down to do school, ds8 was in tears that he couldn't remember how to do his math. It was EASY last week. And I know it's because he was...tired...spacey...feeling like me. Probably *because* of me, kwim?

And then 5yo needs help & 1yo wants something, &...I get to where I just don't care. A couple of hrs later, I freak out that we haven't done anything, & the cycle starts over. Eventually, I can get mean. I mean, I haven't in a while, but it gets that way. Does that make sense?

Get enough sleep.

You can do anything if you're well-rested, and nothing if you're not. That's my miracle cure. ;)

Follow FlyLady's plan for creating an evening routine, and set an alarm for yourself to go to bed, if necessary. Getting a slow start means falling further behind all day; it's as if you tell yourself you're already behind, so why bother.

So: sleep. It knits up the ravelled sleeve of care!:D

Get enough sleep.

You can do anything if you're well-rested, and nothing if you're not. That's my miracle cure. ;)

Follow FlyLady's plan for creating an evening routine, and set an alarm for yourself to go to bed, if necessary. Getting a slow start means falling further behind all day; it's as if you tell yourself you're already behind, so why bother.

So: sleep. It knits up the ravelled sleeve of care!:D

Ok, let me see if I'm hearing you correctly.

Drink more caffeine? Quit quitting coffee? I mean, those are things I could do & hadn't thought of, so you could be on to something there.

;):lol:

Housework I do well with. It's all about the systems, and I've got good systems in place.

But I did spend the morning looking at K12. We often aren't consistent because I'm not prepared, or because I get tired or distracted and end up letting them off the hook for what they're supposed to be doing. I feel like I just can't get it all together on the same day at the same time. And right now I've lost most hope that I ever will (it would be all hope, but I just looked at the calendar and I'm PMSing, so I'll hold onto a bit of hope just in case). But K12 doesn't fit with our educational goals, and I don't want to go through a public charter (I'd have to in order to do it). So, here I am, wondering how in the world I'm ever going to do this :crying:. If I could figure out a system, I'd be good. But I've been trying for over 5 years and it's feeling futile right now.