Menu

Ambleside..

Marsha

We used the Literature portions a little this year. I really liked it, I just got tired of printing off pages. (And our computer isn't in a community area, so I can't have them read from it.) If I owned most of the books I would definitely try it again.

Earlier this year summer/fall we did literature selections and nature study. I bought them from Yesterday's Classics. They carry many of the titles in paperback, and they are inexpensive.

One downside was no teacher's manuals to prompt narration. If your child does narration spontaneously and naturally, then I wouldn't worry about this. If you need to "pull out" narration from your child, this might be a difficult thing to accomplish, unless you read the selections yourself, then it would be doable. :001_smile: I really liked the quality of reading, though, that was a very positive aspect.

We use the artist & composer study, the poetry and will use the Shakespeare, right now we are just reading Lamb's Tales. I agree with the pp that there is not much hand holding for the parent from there, but then again it is free :).

I agree with the pp that there is not much hand holding for the parent from there, but then again it is free :).

Although, just something to think about... Miss Mason wouldn't advocate much parent hand-holding, anyway. She wanted nothing to "get between the child and the book". The whole idea of the CM method of learning is that the child learns from the authors of the books themselves... the people who were there when it happened... not the parents or others who are interpreting it FOR them.

I have been planning for a while to use meld the SOTW cycle with AO. After reviewing SOTW I, I decided to essentially just do AO - and go chronologically through the Bible (adding in Egypt/Greece/Rome when applicable).

I will likely use the SCM guide for meshing Bible and FMOG along with AO yr1(that will count as our "Bible time"), omitting the 50 Famous Stories and Trial and Triumph from AO.

I am classical when it comes to teaching phonics/grammar/math/foreign language; CM fits nicely everywhere else:tongue_smilie:

We did AO Year 1 this year as written, adding our own phonics, math, and Latin. It was AWESOME. When we finished all the Year 1 readings (about 2 months ago) we picked up SOTW1 as a fill-in read--along with appropriate accompanying lit--until AO Year 2 starts up again in the fall. Some of the AO readings really are quite challenging, even for very strong auditory learners. For example, in Year 2 students read Pilgrim's Progress, The Little Duke, and Howard Pyle's Robin Hood. So I'm trying not to "get ahead" in the reading material. :001_smile:

If you add this to your curriculum...

What portions do you add?

I use Ambleside exclusively for 6th grade and up (although I do add or change a book or two here and there, especially in science). I add Rod and Staff grammar to their recommendations, also.

I would use AO for 1st-5th also (adding grammar and more science), except that I really need to combine my 2 youngest children, and since my daughter has already finished AO 1 and much of AO 2, and my son isn't ready to move into AO 2 or 3 (or, next year, 3 or 4) to combine with her, I have ended up using SOTW for both of them together, adding as many of the AO history books as I can. I choose from various levels of AO literature and free reading for their independent reading and read alouds, also.

I am still re-evaluating to determine exactly what I will do for those two next year, though. I really want to use AO somehow, and I keep readjusting my plans to try to find a way to do so, but I keep going back to SOTW 3 with AO books added as much as I can. (Budget is also a consideration, though if I could separate them I do have all of AO 2 and most of AO 4 already.) To complicate things more, my daughter really loves the crafts, coloring pages, and maps from SOTW. While she loves the AO readings, she doesn't want to give up the hands-on elements of SOTW.