Menu

Orthodontic thoughts or advise

So, we love our pediatric dentist. If something is going to be likely to correct itself or just not necessary to do, he isn't for intervention unless necessary. I've always appreciated that. However, I'm not completely sure what to think about his thoughts on this last visit and if you'll let me give you a bit of background, I'd be grateful for thoughts.

Back in Oct/Sept when the big guys went for checkups and a bit of work, his daughter/partner looked at our 12 yr olds teeth during a extraction and said that in her opinion braces didn't look like they'd be necessary unless we wanted to make some very small tweaks and adjustments. I'm not sure about putting him through something like that for changes that would only be apparent to a close observer or fellow dentist.

However, earlier this month our checkup ended being with the dad and he advised that we come in for a comprehensive orthodontic visit so they can do molds and discuss some realigning of the 12 yr old's teeth. He does have a tooth on the bottom that is very slightly twisted and his top eye teeth are a tad higher than they could be (came in too fast). The teeth are the same as last Oct so the changes are slight but I'm conflicted about conflicting opinions from the same office. I've always trusted this office about everything (rather rare for me), so I'm a bit confused.

Any thoughts? I know you can't see his teeth but I'm just not sure about putting him through so much for so little change. However, if it will matter down the road more than I'm thinking I'll do it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like both are saying that the issues with your son's teeth are cosmetic, not functional, right? In other words, his bite is fine, but some of his teeth might be slightly twisted or just not perfect.

Look at him. If his bite and jaw are fine, and there are no concerns whatsoever in that regard, does he look funny to you? If not, the first opinion would be the one I'd listen to.

Our orthodontist recently looked at one of my boys and pointed out a slightly turned eyetooth and something else, but then said, "Why waste your money trying to realign these teeth when I'm one of the only people on earth who would even notice that the teeth weren't perfect?" I really appreciate that man, believe me!

I don't mind treating cosmetic issues, and have for my dd, whose problems were more pronounced than my son's. But if the issue is not obvious, and the problem does not affect the bite or jaw, why waste your money?

ETA: Upon rereading, I'm a bit confused. You said these were dentists? Not orthodontists? No dentist should be giving orthodontic advice, IMO. Get some opinions from orthodontists.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Is your pediatric dentist an orthodontist, too? I'm a little confused. . . .

There's a dentist down here who does orthodontic work, even though he's not an orthodontist. He's messed up quite a few mouths, from what I understand.

I'd take your son to 2-3 orthodontists. They'll do a thorough exam, give their recommendations, and talk payment plans. It is a free consult. Here's our example - when we took our then 12 year-old, the ortho said she was borderline, and watch her. He felt the issue was more cosmetic than functional. We didn't have the $$ at the time to fix her teeth for cosmetic reasons, so that's what we did.

About 18 months ago, her pedi dentist recommended we have her evaluated - we brought her to two different orthos, who said pretty much the same thing - she was now dealing with a functional problem, not just cosmetic. We went with the office dd felt more comfortable with - and now she's in braces and it's been a good experience. No problem.

For me, unless he's an actual orthodontist, I"d be leery. Jmho.

If it was me I would probably get a second opnion. In our area an ortho consultation is free. They take x-rays of the jaw, pictures of the teeth and do an oral examine. Then they show you the pics and discuss the treatment plan so you can see if what they are telling you makes sense.

Good luck!

When I got my braces done, about 8 years ago, I got 3 or 4 different opinions. They were all free.

I will say that my dentist growing up did basic orthodontics. He mainly used retainers to move teeth.

I will also say that I probably should have had braces all along. 2 years of orthodontics did what 2 years of retainers couldn't.

But now, many dentists do invisalign. I don't think they have to do anything more than take molds. I think a computer sets up the program of retainers that will get the teeth adjusted.

My eldest has slightly crowded teeth, mostly on the bottom. It is noticeable, but not severe. There is very slight crowding on the top too. I asked our orthodontist for an assessment, he offered to immediately put $5000 worth of braces on his teeth. We have an orthodontist by the way because our younger two have more significant issues-severe crowding and a severe underbite.

When I asked my son, who was 13 at the time, he said really the appearance didn't bother him. I have the same thing and truly, it's OK, so that helped him. After I told our dentist about our decision, she was very supportive and told me she thinks orthodontia is overused for cosmetic purposes, although if he had been a girl it might be different :glare:

I'm glad we decided to skip it. It's just too big an expense for what IMO is merely a minor cosmetic problem.

I don't agree with the poster who told you to look at your son's jaw to see if it was aligned. Unless that poster is a dentist, I wouldn't listen to what she says. My daughter (14) had braces. To look at her teeth (before braces) I would've never, ever thought she would have needed them. They were perfectly straight (people would even comment on how nice her teeth were). Her dentist and orthodontist (two different people)(actually 3 opinions) saw something totally different. Hence the reason for the braces. Also, with our world being so image conscience today (even if the teeth don't bother us or our children) they may be noticed by others (think employers, later in life, future husband/wives, ect). we all know how stupid it is to judge people on their looks, but we all do it and teeth are usually one of the very, very first things people notice. So while the appearance thing is a rip off, it's the way it is today so if you can give your child an extra boost (and yes, I know braces are very expensive), and if it will help their jaw alignment and bite as well, why not take the dentist's advice into consideration and by all means, get a second opinion. It wouldn't be a good idea not to. By the way, my daughter had her braces on for two years and her teeth are really pretty and very noticably straight.

Is your pediatric dentist an orthodontist, too? I'm a little confused. . . .

There's a dentist down here who does orthodontic work, even though he's not an orthodontist. He's messed up quite a few mouths, from what I understand.

I'd take your son to 2-3 orthodontists. They'll do a thorough exam, give their recommendations, and talk payment plans. It is a free consult. Here's our example - when we took our then 12 year-old, the ortho said she was borderline, and watch her. He felt the issue was more cosmetic than functional. We didn't have the $$ at the time to fix her teeth for cosmetic reasons, so that's what we did.

About 18 months ago, her pedi dentist recommended we have her evaluated - we brought her to two different orthos, who said pretty much the same thing - she was now dealing with a functional problem, not just cosmetic. We went with the office dd felt more comfortable with - and now she's in braces and it's been a good experience. No problem.

For me, unless he's an actual orthodontist, I"d be leery. Jmho.

:iagree:

and wanted to add that it is worth taking the time to get three quotes. There was a big difference in prices for my youngest even though all three orthos recommended the same thing - expanders for the top and bottom and then braces on the 4 front teeth. For the exact same treatment the quotes ranged from $1,600 - $3,200. All three orthos came highly recommended from friends.

I appreciate all of your thoughts very much. Thank you!

Quick question though: if I get multiple consults with other orthodontists can I really trust that any of them would answer "he's fine"? I tend to trust dentists, car salesmen, car repairmen, realtors, etc about the same. With so many (not all) it seems to be about the sale or the sale of the services rather than true help and advise. Can I hope to get truth rather than a sales meeting?

Please don't take offense. I certainly don't mean it. It's just my experiences. I had years of braces, surgeries, TMJ surgeries, etc as a teen. I had straight teeth but a jawbone that had quit growing when I was a girl, so it was things I needed but I really don't want to put my guys through pain for something 99% of people wouldn't even notice. However, if they need it, you'd better believe I'm all for it.

Thank you again for help with my rambling. :)