Menu

All About Spelling?

Follstad

LOTS of us on this board use AAS. It's open & go. It's really helped my struggling speller! I've learned a lot, too. I've always been a natural speller, but I never knew the rules. I was always taught that in English there are more exceptions to rules than there are rules and that you just have memorize individual spellings. It's great to know this isn't true and to be able to make spelling easier and a bit more enjoyable for my kids!

Hi,

Great! Good to hear it's helpful. I am the same way, and also my daughter with being a good speller, but I know my son is going to benefit greatly from this type of curriculum. Thanks for the very quick replies! I'll do the search.

Sarah

Has anyone used this? Or, tell me what you would suggest for spelling. I have a dd 8, 2nd grade, and ds 6, 1st grade.

Thank you!!

Sarah

Sarah,

I just started using it with my 11, 9 and 7yo's. I adore this program. Do you have any questions?

Heather

We love All About Spelling. I've got a 9 yr old who has some significant learning struggles, and she has really benefited from this program. My 8 yr old is more of a natural speller, and has also done really well with AAS. Best spelling program I've found. I wish it was around when my 14 yr old was younger!

..Laura

Eh..it was too much "stuff" for us. It really does take a multi sensory approach and ds just didn't need all the extras or drilling. We ended up switching to Sequential Spelling and have been very happy with it.:)

Funny, I used SS with my son, and there was not enough retention. I have found AAS to be the more effective program. :)

Sometimes you will just never know unless you try something because two families can have different experiences with the same materials.

Jennie

Could I just jump into level 2 or 3 with a child who was a pretty good speller? She's turning 9 this summer and we have recently ditched Rod and Staff 3. She rarely misses a word in it. I test her before even showing her the words some weeks and she still does fine. I don't think she's learned anything from it all year.

OTOH, I have a 5 yo who may benefit from doing AAS from the beginning (He's actually a pretty good speller too.). I never got far with phonics with him as his reading just took off. I was going to use the ETC I have for spelling, but he seems beyond the books I have (I have them through 3).

Could I just jump into level 2 or 3 with a child who was a pretty good speller? She's turning 9 this summer and we have recently ditched Rod and Staff 3. She rarely misses a word in it. I test her before even showing her the words some weeks and she still does fine. I don't think she's learned anything from it all year.

OTOH, I have a 5 yo who may benefit from doing AAS from the beginning (He's actually a pretty good speller too.). I never got far with phonics with him as his reading just took off. I was going to use the ETC I have for spelling, but he seems beyond the books I have (I have them through 3).

Check this article on placement: Should We Start in Level 1 or Level 2? Make sure they know all the sounds for the letters (ie, O has 4 sounds, CH has 3, S has 2, etc...) If they are natural spellers they may know them but haven't thought about them in that way. You could still start them in Level 2 but use a Level 1 materials packet to cover any phonograms they are rusty on.

I would lean towards level 2 vs. trying a higher level. Some of it will likely be review, you can go through those lessons quickly by just choosing a couple of words as examples & making sure they know the concept & can demonstrate it. You don't have to do all of the words if they know how to spell them--just make sure they understand why & the concept taught in the lesson. Focus on the lessons that are not review.

Also, Level 2 of AAS works a lot on learning the syllable types, when they are used and how they affect spelling. This information is foundational to learning to spell longer words. 3 syllable types are introduced in Level 2, and then more in Level 3.

But maybe some more info will help you decide.

Here is a list of when various phonograms are covered:

Level 1 covers #1-32: the alphabet plus th, sh, ch, ck, ng, and nk

Level 2 covers#33-43: wh, ee, er, ar, or (as in corn), ou, oy, oi, aw, au, and ow.

Level 3 covers #44-53: ay, ai, ur, oa, oo, ea, ed, igh, ir, ey

Level 4 covers #54-65: tch, dge, ew, ei, wr, kn, or (as in work),eigh, ear, ph, ti, oe

Levels 5 and 6 will cover the remaining 7 phonograms.

Here is an overview of levels 1-4:

Level One:

- How to say and write the first 32 phonograms

- How to segment words into their individual sounds

- Short and long vowel sounds

- Digraphs th, sh, and ch

- Segmenting words with blends

- Initial and final blends

- How to choose between c and k at the beginning of a word

- How to spell /k/ at the end of a word

- When to double f, l, and s

- Consonant team “NGâ€, “NKâ€

- Compound Words

- How to form plural words by adding s or es

- Open and closed syllable types

- How to identify and count syllables in a word

Product Description for Level 1

Level Two:

- Review of level 1

- “Y†sounds

- The open and closed syllable types

- How to divide words into syllables

- Combining open and closed syllables

- How to spell multisyllable words

- When y can say /î/

- How Silent E can make a vowel long

- The vowel-consonant-e syllable type

- Two spellings for the sound of /z/

- The two sounds of long u

- The difference between hard and soft c and g

- Ways to spell long e

- That English words don’t end in i, j, u, or v

- When to use oi/oy, aw/au, and ow/ou

- Most common /er/, /ar/, /or/ spellings

Product Description for Level 2

Level Three:

- Review

- Two additional ways to spell the sound of long a

- Five reasons for adding a silent e to the end of a word

- C+le syllable types

- More ways to spell the sound of long o

- Homophones

- When to double consonants before adding suffixes

- When to drop the silent e before adding a suffix

- The three sounds of past tense suffix –ed

- Y to I Rule for adding suffixes

- More ways to spell long e

- Additional ways to spell the sound of /er/

- More ways to spell long i

- Common contractions

Level 3 Product Description

Level Four:

- Review

- How to add prefixes

- Months of the year

- Numbers up to one hundred

- Days of the week

- Common abbreviations

- Spelling strategies that will help him tackle longer words with ease

- Multisyllable words application

- When to use ch or tch for the sound of /ch/

- When to use the three ways to spell the sound of /j/

- Additional ways to spell the sound of /er/

Product Description for Level 4

HTH! Also, AAS has a full 1 year, 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you order the wrong level & need to return it, you can.

Merry :-)

One of the joys of AAS for us is that it has all the "stuff," but I can tailor how I use that for my ds. Some weeks I barely touch the cards. Other times we spend days reviewing and shuffling cards. We always use the tiles on the magnetic board.

I like that with AAS we're learning the "why" of spelling in a sequential, understandable way. I'm a great speller and I've learned lots of things--and we're only in Level 2. It's open and go, so I'm not spending lots of time figuring out what to do next.

I agree that AAS is an amazing program. We've tried various workbooks and spelling lists, but either the workbook words were too easy, or the tougher spelling list words were soon forgotten. This year I started my 11yo daughter with level 1. She's an okay speller, but didn't know any of the rules (and since new/unfamiliar words are becoming more prevalent as she gets older, it became apparent that she didn't have the skills to approach how to spell these words.) We just finished level 2, and so far I haven't used the word cards much - we just emphasize the sound cards and key card (rules.) I'm hoping to finish Level 3 this year. Even though the words are easy, the concepts are new, so my daughter doesn't feel that she's doing something too easy. We've both learned a lot - I'm so glad this program is out there!

Melissa

I just ordered the starter kit and levels 1 and 2. I think DD might be offended if she was put into the same level as her baby brother ;)

ETA: Thanks very much for the detailed info! It was really very helpful. I love the idea of magnetic letter tiles. I was already planning something like this for the math manipulatives I've printed on cardstock.