Menu

Because I Have To Tell SOMEone...

DD1 is 5 1/2yo. Because she misses the Sept 1st cutoff, she could not start K this year in Chicago Public Schools, even if we wanted her to (her b-day is 9/10). Our plan has been to homeschool pretty much since she was a toddler. Such are the decisions of two parents who have worked in CPS.

CPS has a series of Gifted and Enriched Learning schools, places where you have to test to get in. I went through the process, knowing full-well that we did not plan to send her anywhere anyway (thus, I applied her to the #1 and #2 schools only). But it was a free test. So off we went to the test.

I got the results a few days ago. On the SAI (School Ability Index), the max score is 150 -- verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, what-have-you. 112-150 is considered above average. Above 130 is considered significantly above average. She scored 145.

For the percentile ranking, she scored 99.7%-ile.

Oh, and she did not get into either school. So much for the satisfaction of ME turning THEM down. :D

But I looked at these numbers and was stunned. And it completely validates everything we're doing. Honestly, if we put her into school, I think she'd go backwards.

So there ya go. Thanks for listening! I'll probably blog this out soon and then be done with it. But I'm being very careful about who I share this with IRL for fear of coming off as a total snot. But, of course, I'm bursting with the news. And I'm staring at this kid over a bowl of cereal in the a.m. and wondering, "oh wow, am I enough for her?"

And I'm still betting that there was a mix-up at the hospital somehow!;)

In 1987 our eldest daughter was "tested" for placement at a private Christian school. The principal spent a few minutes alone with her asking a series of questions and asking her to do simple things. He actually came out from testing her and asked, "Are you sure that she hasn't had any preschool?" :glare: I agree that we moms walk a fine line...doing a terrific job teaching our children and having to maintain a humble spirit.

Congratulations! Both on having a very bright child and on being such a great mom.

Trust me when I say, if you put her in ps now, she will most definitely go backward. That is what happened with my older dd and I've been fighting the results for five years!

Good luck on your homeschool journey!

Jeannie

Oh, and she did not get into either school. So much for the satisfaction of ME turning THEM down. :D

But I looked at these numbers and was stunned. And it completely validates everything we're doing. Honestly, if we put her into school, I think she'd go backwards.

Our two eldest went to Edison Gifted but didn't get into St. Francis Xavier. Over 800 kids applied to Edison and maybe 100 to SFX. LOL. Go figure.

Looking back, I don't think Edison was all that great despite its *fabulous* reputation. Math seemed strongest. Also, the kids were motivated to learn. If I were to do it over again in the city, I'd consider the K12 cyber school or maybe Skinner and then supplement areas that appeared weak.

For our two eldest, getting into a good high school in Chicago was as difficult as getting into college. They both got into IMSA (the dreary Illinois Math and Science Academy in Aurora) early admittance. Our son went, but the (young, inexperienced) principal was not in control. The problems: sex, drugs, and teachers humiliated by students. As a result, our daughter decided to go to Northside Prep, which was a fabulous fit for her. The other school we really liked was Lincoln Park High -- the IB program.

So, in short, yes, you can do much better on your own. Sounds like you already are.

Congratulations!

And we don't think you're a snot! :tongue_smilie:

It's so hard to talk to people about experiences like yours, not because you're bragging, but because so many other moms are frighteningly competitive, and will not take your words in the spirit in which they were intended.

It's a shame that so many moms are unable to be happy for others. Raising our kids shouldn't be a competition.

Cat

MBM,

Thanks for all of the interesting info! There's a little girl whose grandmother brings her to swimming lessons at our gym. The little girl attends Edison for K, and the family is crazy about the place. I went to the Open House for Decatur and was *really* put off by the place. I'm keeping an eye on the Chicago Virtual Charter School for when/if I feel like I'm in over my head. They seem to have it going on.

Congratulations on your DD getting into Northside! I'd love to keep in touch and see how her experience unfolds there.

WendyK, as for why didn't DD1 get into either school? It's been suggested to me that demographics may be a factor. They go by that as well as scores. (shrug) I dunno. Don't really care. Just happy to see how she's doing. It's a bit of a head-scratcher, I guess.

Thanks so much for all of the kind words and for giving me a place to share the love!

that is awesome.

I have a dd with the exact b-day-- 9/10 and she also misses the cut off for public school here (it is 8/1). So, my little miss, who couldn't go to school this year, is reading everything she can find. Like beyond the phonics lessons she has had. I ask, how do you know that "oi" says "oy" like oil? SHe replies, "I don't know, I just do." OK then.

She hasn't been tested yet, but I venture she will be much like her next oldest sister (7) who exhausts us with her intelligence. Literally- the girl wears me out. DD(5) is clipping her way through 1st grade at home at a rather rapid pace just like older sister did at this age.

Anyway, I thought is was cool to read your story only to find out I have one the exact same age and on the gifted side as well-- and even if I wanted her in school, which I don't, they wouldn't have let her in anyway. Oh well. Their loss.

Valerie, my daughter is no longer at Northside. She just finished college a year ago! LOL. She was one of the first to go to Northside.

The process of getting into the elementary schools in Chicago is just bizarre. Some of them are testing only, while others are testing and lottery, and yet others include demographics. I think somewhere out there in cyberland, there's an explanation as to which school does what.

You will probably find that after homeschooling your daughter for a few years, many of the schools will be very eager to have her.