Menu

Food Processor

Good Monday Morning Hivers,

DH bought me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas. Needless to say, it has revolutionized my kitchen experience. He bought me the smallest, cheapest version and even still, I can't remember life before the mixer.

I'd like to extend my love affair in the kitchen with a food processor -- I have visions of home-made salsa, hummus, Scandinavian slaws, foo-foo drinks, slushies -- my little stand-up blender isn't making the grade.

What food processor do you have, and what do you make in it that your family absolutely loves?

(This continued spending fast has freed up cash I didn't know we had - it's rather addictive finding new and frugal ways to make life work. Colleen in NS is on to something -- Frugality has brought the Peachey's more Freedom. TY for your inspiration, Colleen.)

BTW, Cindy in C'villes Skillet Pizza Crust recipe was a big hit -- I doubled the recipe, made 12 shells for a "Saturday night grown-ups only pizza party" -- the compliments came fast and furious. Everyone brought a topping - good times. TY, Cindy!

Cheerio, Tricia

I have the Kitchen Aid Pro 11-cup model; they don't make that one anymore. If I had to buy a new one, I'd go for one of the 12-cup models. We use ours for chopping everyday (it's great with onions and other veggies). It makes a fantastic pie crust. Grating cheese is done almost instantly. We use this thing so often that we bought an extra bowl for it, so we can keep using it if one bowl is in the dishwasher. This, along with the Kitchen Aid mixer, are the workhorses of my kitchen.

Ria

Not Kitchen Aid here but a Wolfgang Puck food processor. I LOVE MINE!! yahoo...

One thing that is not mentioned here for food processor is pesto of any kind and another one is using it to make cole slow. I am also trying to figure out how to get my potatoes in the mouth feeder to make scalloped potatoes. (slicing it thin).

They are great aren't they? :D

Holly

I have the Kitchen Aid Pro 11-cup model; they don't make that one anymore. If I had to buy a new one, I'd go for one of the 12-cup models.

This is the same processor that I have, the 11-cup model. Don't buy anything less than 11-12 cups. If mine ever dies, I will likely go for the KA 12-cup one unless something better is around. I also love my KA prof mixer.

Good Monday Morning Hivers,

DH bought me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas. Needless to say, it has revolutionized my kitchen experience. He bought me the smallest, cheapest version and even still, I can't remember life before the mixer.

I'd like to extend my love affair in the kitchen with a food processor -- I have visions of home-made salsa, hummus, Scandinavian slaws, foo-foo drinks, slushies -- my little stand-up blender isn't making the grade.

What food processor do you have, and what do you make in it that your family absolutely loves?

(This continued spending fast has freed up cash I didn't know we had - it's rather addictive finding new and frugal ways to make life work. Colleen in NS is on to something -- Frugality has brought the Peachey's more Freedom. TY for your inspiration, Colleen.)

BTW, Cindy in C'villes Skillet Pizza Crust recipe was a big hit -- I doubled the recipe, made 12 shells for a "Saturday night grown-ups only pizza party" -- the compliments came fast and furious. Everyone brought a topping - good times. TY, Cindy!

Cheerio, Tricia

My mother bought me KitchenAid hand mixer a few years ago - it's the best. Before that, I went through two cheaper hand mixers in a YEAR!!

Isn't it great to get control of spending?? Frees up cash, which you can then use to (you knew this was coming, didn't you - I get way too excited when I find bargains):

- buy the 400 sheets/roll 37.5 cents/roll rolls of toilet paper from Dartmouth Surplus, because D.S. is going into just the tire business and is liquidating everything else (sorry, Tricia, I scooped them all up)

- buy the Elmer's glue sticks from D.S. for .56 apiece (got all those, too)

- buy the packages of legal size paper for $1.50/500 sheet pack (see last point)

- buy the $4 big bag of yarn from Beacon House and put your (my) newfound knitting skills to work (I heard the yarn was all gone by the next day, and they had boxes and boxes of it)(thanks for talking up B.H. so much that I finally went to check it out - it's my VERY favourite thrift store around here, esp. on Bag Sale Day)

- buy the 2 kg bag of allergy-safe Chipits chocolate chips for $6.97 at Atlantic Cash and Carry (read: MUCH cheaper per kg than the Superstore no name brand I usually buy!!!) (and I did NOT scoop all those packages up, LOL!)

- write a thread asking for food processor advice, of which I have none to offer. But have fun when you finally get one!

Colleen

I just bought my first food processor this weekend. I got the Hamilton Beach "big mouth" which has a 14 cup capacity and I love that I can put whole onions or apples without having to cut them up first. Before this I had one of those tiny food choppers LOL.

This is what I have also and it works very well. I'm happy with it.

I'm not sure if you have a Tuesday Morning around you, but I got mine as a Christmas present (that I picked out!) from there, it's the 12 cup, it was priced at $120, and I looked online and found a $20 rebate, so it was only $100! I haven't used mine a ton, but it's very powerful, I'm amazed at how fast it chops/slices.