Menu

Review "The Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt?" 1st grade?

Lovedtodeath

Hmmm... I already ordered it after reading the intro pages. I love the way it is written. lol. Maybe I can schedule it in bits and pieces, or save it for later.

Thanks for replying. I was too impatient. I have been working on my Amazon order all week. 8 weeks of SOTW will be coming to me within 9 days. :) Yay!

WOW! I might read this to a 5th grader. I would not assign it as independent reading, nor will I be reading it to a 1st grader. I learned quite a bit from 4 pages. LOL There is way too much here to use it for much of anything. I think I will be returning this one. I got the wrong book for another selection, so I am checking into the return policy.

I am shocked at the lack of age-appropriate selections in the AG. I have found many that we are loving, and they have plenty of information.

There's actually a lot of books in AG that are more suited to older kids. I think this is because you might be doing SOTW1 with a 4th grader depending on where they jumped into the history cycle. You really do have to preview them to see if they're on level or not for your kids. As a head's up, there's also not much in the way of extra reading for the Mesopotamians. Almost all the suggestions are medieval Arab stories. I decided to save those until we hit SOTW 2. Of course, then I decided to put WP Hideaways in History on the shelf and use Sonlight 1 and 2 instead, so take my 2 cents for what they're worth.

I do look forward to doing SOTW with the kids in 2 years, but I found we needed a bit more maturity before they were going to get everything that it has to offer. It's a fabulous resource, but it's geared to a fairly wide age range so you have to pick and chose what will work for you right now.

WOW! I might read this to a 5th grader. I would not assign it as independent reading, nor will I be reading it to a 1st grader. I learned quite a bit from 4 pages. LOL There is way too much here to use it for much of anything. I think I will be returning this one. I got the wrong book for another selection, so I am checking into the return policy.

I read it myself, so I could drop juicy tidbits as we looked at more picturey books. I've repeatedly benefited from reading a 10-14 year old version of what I'm teaching kiddo. They are "quick" reads for me, and I can sound very profound to my 6 year old. ;)

There's actually a lot of books in AG that are more suited to older kids. I think this is because you might be doing SOTW1 with a 4th grader depending on where they jumped into the history cycle. You really do have to preview them to see if they're on level or not for your kids. As a head's up, there's also not much in the way of extra reading for the Mesopotamians.
Yes, it can definitely be a good thing with the SOTW AG being adaptable for older kids. This particular book was recommended for 1st grade in SOTW. There must be more available now, because I found plenty, both non-fiction and myths.

Almost all the suggestions are medieval Arab stories. I decided to save those until we hit SOTW 2.
I noticed that, I wasn't sure if they were from the right time period. Wierd. That is something that I expected help with from the AG. How did you know what time period they were from?