Menu

What do I need to buy for Hey Andrew 1?

Alison in KY

You can buy it here. My son does this and he really loves the flash cards. So much so, that we have started making flashcards on a ring for other subjects, too. Of course, he is a little younger than your son, so it may be an age thing.

Amy

You don't need the answer key. Level 1 is just the letters. We ended up skipping level 1 and starting with Level 2, since it's all in there anyway. If you had a six year old you could do level 1, but with a 4th grader, I would just get the Reader, Level 2 workbook, the cd with the alphabet song or sheet music (don't need both), and the bookmark and flashcards would be optional. (You can find the info on the net for free.)

HTH.

So the reader goes with level 2, I thought it was it's own program for pre-school? I'll have to admit, the information was sorely lacking on the Hey Andrew site.

Oh, and I'll be ordering my stuff from Rainbow Resource.

Alison in KY

Preschoolers would like the book (though there's no color and the photos aren't that great), but it helps all ages learn the Greek alphabet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I really like the looks of the Greek code cracker book. You also suggested Song School Greek? Where is that found at?

Well, *I* didn't. Perhaps someone did? If it were available, it would be from the same website (CAP), but I don't think they have it available (yet?). I have used Song School Latin with my younger child. I wouldn't use it with a 9yo, but for a very young student that one simply wants to introduce to the *idea* of Latin and a handful of vocabulary words, it's a fun start.

I'm not a fan of the Latin's Not so Tough *or* the Hey Andrew materials -- and now that there are a variety of other options available, I can't see choosing them. For just learning the alphabet (which is all HA1 is and most of what HA2 covers), Code Cracker is a lot of fun and much better presented. After that, you could go with various beginning Greek options.

Sorry AbbeyJ, I don't know where I came up with Song School Greek...it probably doesn't even exist.

If you've used the greek code cracker, what other greek beginning programs would you pick, or have you used?

I thought most people enjoyed Hey Andrew or Elementary Greek. I'm not going to get my hands on anything at a curriculum sale this year, so I'll have to go from everyone's opinion and the smidgen of samples I see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else?

Sorry AbbeyJ, I don't know where I came up with Song School Greek...it probably doesn't even exist.

If you've used the greek code cracker, what other greek beginning programs would you pick, or have you used?

I thought most people enjoyed Hey Andrew or Elementary Greek. I'm not going to get my hands on anything at a curriculum sale this year, so I'll have to go from everyone's opinion and the smidgen of samples I see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else?

Song School Greek is coming and I'm excited about it. There were some great reviews on the Song School Latin.

Here's info another mom received:

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your interest in Song School Greek. It will now likely be an early summer release, and we apologize for this extra delay. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Sincerely,

Joanna Mease

Classical Academic Press

3920 Market Street

Camp Hill, PA 17011

info@classicalsubjects.com

717-730-0711 phone

717-730-0721 fax

http://www.ClassicalAcademicPress.com

I have Hey Andrew levels 1-3 and Elementary Greek level 1. It is recommended that you start with HA level 3 if you have an older child. It covers the alphabet and sounds quickly. You can buy the nice flash cards or you can cut out the ones out of the back of the workbook, but you absolutely need them. I would also get the pronunciation CD and for level 3 the full text answer key. HA is set up that the child can do it completely independently, unless they get really confused :001_smile: vs. Elementary Greek which seems to need teacher involvement. EG moves really fast compared to HA.

We are on our second go around with HA level three and it is going much better this time because my son has had grammar and I am labeling the parts of speech and the endings for him. The basis of the program is that the kids don't need to know grammar, but it was just too confusing keeping track of the endings w/o grammar, so we did a year of R&S. We are starting EG tomorrow and I plan to use both programs, so we will see how it goes. At this point I can't recommend either program over the other, but it might be a good idea to do the Code Cracker one and then EG. HTH some!

Song School Greek is coming and I'm excited about it. There were some great reviews on the Song School Latin.

But the OP is looking for something for a 4th grader... I've used SSL with my 1st/2nd grade dd this year. It's cute, but I can't imagine using it with a child who is much older than she. She has learned a handful of vocabulary and enjoyed it, but it's really a preK-2nd program. Assuming SSG has a similar format, I wouldn't recommend it to the OP...

My 7th grader has gotten through Andrew 2, 3 and is on 4 this year.

I would NOT start with Andrew 1 for 4th grader.

I didn't get the key for Andrew 2; I could figure it out myself. The flashcards on a ring are great. The vocabulary tapes haven't been used. They print a phonetic pronunciation for all new words.

Start at Andrew 3, you will want the key.

I bought the "reader" but never used it. HTH!

If our grammar know how is nil at this point, would you recommend HA 2 then?

I'm so confused on greek right now!

I personally won't attempt HA level 3 again before the kids know these:

noun, verb, subject, predicate, direct object, plural and possessive

But the program was designed to be used w/o knowing these, so it might work for you!

I would not recommend HA 2 for a 4th grader. HA 3 covers all of HA 2 in 20 pages.

Sorry, I can't enthusiastically recommend a certain program. I have used HA with my two oldest. They started with book 1 as soon as they were reading English fluently. My son was in book 3 by 2 grade, doing it totally independently. All the sudden he got really confused by the endings, and due to a new, sick baby, I could not help him. I tried to jump back in several times, but he had forgotten most of it by then. So last month, I erased his level 3 workbook and had him start again. We just finished R&S grammar yesterday and are starting Elementary Greek 1 today.

Sorry, I can't enthusiastically recommend a certain program. .

I'm sorry I can't either. Though I would submit HA Level 2 as my best suggestion for a 4th grader. (dd was that age when we did HA 2 and that year it was her favorite subject!) We started Elementary Greek after HA 2 with a 6 and 11 year old and two parents and quickly got overwhelmed. But that's just us. This is why I'm hopeful for the Song School Greek. If we decide to take up Greek again, we will continue with HA 3.

Dh has learned Greek with friends using the Velz book... so he can help us now if he has time.

I'm sorry I can't either. Though I would submit HA Level 2 as my best suggestion for a 4th grader. (dd was that age when we did HA 2 and that year it was her favorite subject!) We started Elementary Greek after HA 2 with a 6 and 11 year old and two parents and quickly got overwhelmed. But that's just us. This is why I'm hopeful for the Song School Greek. If we decide to take up Greek again, we will continue with HA 3.

Dh has learned Greek with friends using the Velz book... so he can help us now if he has time.

Why do you think EG was so overwhelming? Was it having the 6 yr old, or just the teaching style/intensity of the program.

I want something simple to implement, but still a good Greek program

Why do you think EG was so overwhelming? Was it having the 6 yr old, or just the teaching style/intensity of the program.

I can't imagine teaching EG to a 6 year old. That would be overwhelming.

Actually, we didn't have the six year old work with EG. He and I kept plodding through HA 3. Dh and dd and I worked on EG. Part of the problem was dh couldn't always consistently come home for lunch to work on it with us so we skipped days. Part of it was we were spoiled by taking our time with HA 2. Part of it was "it's all Greek to me!" LOL

Many like EG and do well with it. When you have to learn a different alphabet it's much harder, IMHO. Spanish is so much easier than Greek! But it can be done!

You can buy it here. My son does this and he really loves the flash cards. So much so, that we have started making flashcards on a ring for other subjects, too. Of course, he is a little younger than your son, so it may be an age thing.

Amy

Ordered, recieved and started.

THANK YOU!

While it does start pretty slow, ds has decided to complete two lessons a day and he loves it so far. Apparently learning a new alphabet can be pretty darn exciting, he's not daunted at all (I am, but eh, I'll get over it).

So, thank you for the link.