Menu

TWTM vs LCC vs TOG vs VP ?

Aloha2U

Quicky reply:

TWTM--method of education, NeoClassical, trivium-based, 3 levels of learning, 4 year history and science cycles, read all the classics, learn from real literature but use texts as well, diagram grammar, well-rounded very balanced education.

LCC--method of education, traditional classical, emphasis on Latin, Greek, Classical History, read the best of the best, grammar through Latin/Greek studies, many use the progymnasmata to teach composition.

TOG--curriculum, follows a 4 year history cycle using real books to teach history, literature, composition, geography, philosophy, music history, art history, church history, political history, and you can do projects as well.

VP--curriculum, follows a longer history cycle, includes literature, history, Latin, language arts, and geography. Heavy emphasis on reading the classics.

How did I do? :001_smile:

Quicky reply:

TWTM--method of education, NeoClassical, trivium-based, 3 levels of learning, 4 year history and science cycles, read all the classics, learn from real literature but use texts as well, diagram grammar, well-rounded very balanced education.

LCC--method of education, traditional classical, emphasis on Latin, Greek, Classical History, read the best of the best, grammar through Latin/Greek studies, many use the progymnasmata to teach composition.

TOG--curriculum, follows a 4 year history cycle using real books to teach history, literature, composition, geography, philosophy, music history, art history, church history, political history, and you can do projects as well.

VP--curriculum, follows a longer history cycle, includes literature, history, Latin, language arts, and geography. Heavy emphasis on reading the classics.

I think you did a great job!! :)

I would recommend to the OP that she read both TWTM and LCC (2nd edition). I have found that I use elements from both of these sources.

yeah.gif

I will add that LCC expects families to cultivate a lifestyle of learning that will subtly influence the child to self-educate in the fine arts and elementary sciences, whereas TWTM schedules that stuff to be taught formally, directly and intentionally during sit-down-and-do-school time.

*sits on the floor muttering random letters*

:lol: Sorry, can't compare/contrast here... but I had to get in a line on all of the abbreviations we use these days. Sad thing is, yes, I know what they all mean. LOL Thanks for the laugh!

I'm glad you got a laugh! ;)

I think you did a great job!! :)

I would recommend to the OP that she read both TWTM and LCC (2nd edition). I have found that I use elements from both of these sources.

:iagree: I'd like to read TWTM 2009 and LCC (haven't seen it yet).

Quicky reply:

Thank you for this quick reply... truly helpful!

yeah.gif

I will add that LCC expects families to cultivate a lifestyle of learning that will subtly influence the child to self-educate in the fine arts and elementary sciences, whereas TWTM schedules that stuff to be taught formally, directly and intentionally during sit-down-and-do-school time.

Thank you for adding this information. I recall that someone had mentioned this to me recently, so it helps to clarify.

Ok, I hope I don't get spammed for asking any more questions, but would you consider TOG or VP to fit one of these methods of education (TWTM or LCC), but with it's own curriculum? I realized that there are many ways to incorporate various materials/curricula in the classical approach, but are there any other curriculums that fall under the classical method besides TOG or VP? I hope that makes sense.

:lurk5:

Ok, I hope I don't get spammed for asking any more questions, but would you consider TOG or VP to fit one of these methods of education (TWTM or LCC), but with it's own curriculum? I realized that there are many ways to incorporate various materials/curricula in the classical approach, but are there any other curriculums that fall under the classical method besides TOG or VP? I hope that makes sense.

TOG uses history as a spine to teach arts, religion, geography and literature, and uses a four year cycle; it has these aspects in common with TWTM. However, by careful scheduling, you could use TOG in an LCC way. I'm considering doing that now. I would do it by dedicating an afternoon to history, one to art, one to religion/philosophy, one to geography/nature study and one to literature and choosing one or two books and activities for each afternoon, sticking to our core three -- music, math, Latin -- for the mornings.

VP covers history more slowly over a long period, and delays beginning this study a couple of years to 2nd grade; it has that in common with LCC. However, VP, TOG and TWTM all schedule more time, reading and activities for history than LCC recommends. LCC attempts to be (and I think succeeds) streamlined, making efficient use of a student's time, so it cuts down history to one or two books a year. At least a dozen are recommended per year in all the other acronym programs you mention here.

The educational philosophy of both TOG and VP are the same as TWTM; all are based on Dorothy Sayers' reinvention of the Trivium. LCC is based on an older understanding of classical education. That's not to say that you can't use neoclassical curricula with LCC - plenty of people do - but I think people should be aware of differences in philosophy and methods.

The educational philosophy of both TOG and VP are the same as TWTM; all are based on Dorothy Sayers' reinvention of the Trivium. LCC is based on an older understanding of classical education. That's not to say that you can't use neoclassical curricula with LCC - plenty of people do - but I think people should be aware of differences in philosophy and methods.

Ahhh... thank you, Plaid Dad!

So, is Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns along the same lines as TMTM? Neoclassical?

Canon Press and Logos School are neoclassical. Memoria Press is generally traditional/Latin-centered.

A quick rule of thumb is that if authors or publishers talk about the Trivium in terms of stages - as in "grammar stage," "logic stage," etc. - they are drawing on Dorothy Sayers. :)

Understanding that there are many ways to incorporate various materials/curricula in the classical or neoclassical approaches, are there any others besides TOG or VP that you would classify as a classical or neoclassical curriculum?

I think there is something called Easy Classical, but I haven't used it. I'm not sure if MOH would be considered classical, but it does cover history in 4 volumes (I think). Which means you could also check out Winter Promise which uses MOH (although I think Winter Promise maybe more CM than classical?) Also, My Father's World says it combines CM with Classical (I think). And Heart of Dakota is probably more CM but will ultimately have a 4 year coverage of history starting 4th/5th grade after all the guides are finished. (The earlier years cover American History.) And if you want 4 year history using SOTW, Biblioplan is a curricula that coordinates that (and MOH too I think).

Now, I realize that neo classical is more than just a 4 year coverage of world history, but since you were asking about other curricula.... that's what came to mind.

:iagree:

I can't agree strongly enough. Read TWTM and LCC to understand the philosophies and methods involved; then you can approach any curriculum in light of your philosophy.

Tanglewood is a combination of neoclassical and CM, and isn't a curriculum in a box but a kind of curriculum outline similar to AmblesideOnline (CM) or even WTM (but without the philosophical information). It is kind of WTM meets AmblesideOnline...

I highly recommend reading LCC (and WTM, or course). WTM was a great introduction to classical homeschooling, and homeschooling in general, but I found LCC to be more focused, and more in-line with my philosophy for science and history education.