Menu

What is your top recommendation for a literature based...

What is your top recommendations for a literature based, not too heavy, lesson plans all laid out program for my 6 & 9 year old daughters. I am mostly looking for literature, history & some language arts for my daughters. Anything extra added would be fine, but those are my main areas I am looking for. My current 8 year old dd is still a fairly new reader so it can't be overly advanced. I am willing to go down to a 1st grade program if necessary so they can share it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Help! Thank You!!!

Michelle

We're using Illuminations and love it. This is a beta language arts program (beta year about done now) put out by Bright Ideas Press - the publishers of Mystery of History. MOH is the spine and it includes a Bible reading schedule (K-2, 3-8, or high school), a literature study *with guide*, required read-alone, optional read-alone, and schedules several language arts programs. (Foundations of Writing or Writeshop, Grammar Punk or Winston Grammar, Natural Speller with daily lesson plans and student pages, comes with its own copywork, EFRU) Also schedules in Hands-On Geography and/or The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide (TUGAT) and the Christian Kids Explore science series. (Year 1 schedules Biology.)

Years 2 and 3 are both scheduled to be available for the fall. After that, they plan to release 2 years to coordinate with the volumes of All-American History, followed by a year using MOH 4 (which isn't out yet). This 6-year plan allows for students who begin in the 1st grade to complete the cycle twice. (My own son, who will be 10 tomorrow, started MOH1 as a 4th grader. He'll do the complete cycle once and then the traditional 4-year cycle for history. Since he'll be taking 2 full years to do American history in grades 7 and 8, I think this will be sufficient for him. When he covers years 3 and/or 4 of MOH as a junior and senior, we can likely insert American history as part of the overview for a refresher.)

We also utilize (or plan to, anyway) themes from Winter Promise. The value in this program, to our family, is the hands-on activities. MOH has its own activities, and ILM provides activities to go along with the literature guides, but my boys can never have enough! I also really like the way the IG's are laid out, and the provision of memory card notes and games and timeline exercises to help the information "stick" better.

I really like both of these, and therefore am trying to incorporate both of them. Either is fantastic IMHO and definately could be used alone. I like Illuminations' approach to the language arts and the study guides are unparallelled. For expanding the history itself and for science, I think Winter Promise does an excellent job.

We use, and love, Beautiful Feet guides. They have time periods (ancient, medieval, early American, World) and several other general guides (Geography, History of Science, History of the Horse, History of Classical Music, and Teaching Character Through Literature).

They are not overwhelming and have a great selection of literature to go with them. Where applicible, there is also Bible reading (ancient). There are no language arts, per se, but there are questions included to facilitate narration and dictation; additionally, we use a WWE format so we pull all of our narration, dictation, copywork from the literature we are reading. Very easy to add into our day.

Hands down, best I've ever seen and used IMHO;) is Heart Of Dakota. We absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We use it along with the authors reading program, Drawn Into The Heart of Reading (one of Cathy Duffy's top picks). Not time intensive, very complete and easy to teach, fun to do, inexpensive... They have some of the best literature selections! Or you could use your own in some instances. It's certainly worth a closer look! I'd take a peek then head over to the HOD forums and ask some questions :001_smile: They are VERY helpful!

What is your top recommendations for a literature based, not too heavy, lesson plans all laid out program for my 6 & 9 year old daughters. I am mostly looking for literature, history & some language arts for my daughters. Anything extra added would be fine, but those are my main areas I am looking for. My current 8 year old dd is still a fairly new reader so it can't be overly advanced. I am willing to go down to a 1st grade program if necessary so they can share it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Based on "not too heavy, lesson plans all laid out" and your sig line- "Loves Charlotte Mason style homeschooling with a focus on simplicity," you may want to look at HOD or MFW. It sounds like SL may be to heavy, WP may be too complicated, and AO may not be laid out enough.

However, they are all good programs!:D

Mandy

My new favorite is HOD. We'll be using Bigger Hearts next year. I'm not sure if any of the previous years would have worked for us.

I really do love Sonlight. The books are wonderful. But, we need some variety and as much as we love to read (it's nothing for us to read for two hours a day), we are getting bored. It's a great choice though, especially for an auditory learner who doesn't want or need any hands-on activities.

Ambleside Online is another favorite, for sure.