Menu

Bathing suit help needed plz for 9yo dd!

Dd9 is pretty modest-only wants a one-piece b. suit that doesn't plunge at the neckline or have any cutouts in the back. However, she has a very long torso, but is extremely skinny with no butt, so if I buy it big enough to fit the torso, it bags in the butt and flares out in the crotch area so you can see her crotch. I'm having a terrible time. We went to every store at the mall, and then some! She doesn't like the Speedo style. She won't wear a tankini either because of the way it floats up in the pool (not due to modesty, just doesn't like the feel.) Plus with her long torso you can see her stomach in a tankini. She doesn't like swim shirt or shorts because she gets too cold while they're drying. I just need a nice basic one-piece that's kind of cute!!! :banghead: I'm afraid to buy online because she's so hard to fit! (BTW-I did ck Land's End both online and in store and they don't have much selection-am I too late or too early?)

ANY ideas?

Edited by HappyGrace

Just a thought per Lands' End. Call them. Ask to talk to a Specialty Shopper about swimsuit fit. I had that job for 7 years and they are pretty good and diagnosing issues like your daughters.I have a feeling, however, that they may suggest a tankini what with the long torso. That may not be within your modesty regulations, however, I think as tankini's go,Lands' End and L.L.Bean have some of the more modest ones.

Clothing issues with kids are SO frustrating! The only hope I have sometimes is "she will grow...she will grow..."

HTH,

Thanks, Maria. Maybe I will have her try a tankini at Land's End, although it's not so much the modesty with the tankinis as she hates how they float up to the top of the water.

Do you know why the pickings are so slim right now at Land's End and LLBean as far as b. suits? I thought this was prime buying time and they don't have many!

We recently went through this with my 9yo, same body type as your dd (skinny). She ended up with a short sleeved swim top and swim-mini (bottoms with skirt) from Lands End. Very modest. She ended up getting a size 7 top and 6x bottoms. I'd agree with the others, call Lands End and work with them. We got a perfect fit.

We just got our Land's End swimwear catalog a few weeks ago and there seemed to be TONS of options. Definitely call to talk to someone about the fit; I am sure they will be able to help you.

The other option is a swim store. I remember hearing about kids who had "swimmer's bodies" but had a terrible time finding suits made for actual swimmers. Maybe they would have something made to fit your dd better?

Not sure why LE wouldn't have a good selection this time of year. Sometimes it depends on the catalog you get. If you don't order a LOT during the year you'll just get small selection catalogs. But you can always call and request the bigger catalog!

I would suggest if you are gonna go LE to order ASAP, they seem to run out of stock quickly when it comes to swimwear.

I took the advice to call Land's End and they were AMAZING!!!! They explained how to measure her and they actually offer SLIMS in some bathing suits! So I will measure her up later and order whichever ones seem to fit best. I do have a LE nearby so I can return if something doesn't fit. But with the measurements I should be able to come very close on fit. Their tankinis also look much better than most, in case I need that option. I can't recommend LE highly enough-FANTASTIC customer service!! Thanks to all here for your recommendations!!

BTW, the lady did say their swimwear is just starting to come out now-they run much later than the malls. So that answers that question too! Thanks again!

The Land's End tankini tops do not rise in the water. They are fitted like a one piece. I have a dd who is similarly shaped and that is what I ended up with for her last year. They also have slim sizes, which she really needs on the bottom (gapping at the leg holes makes even the most modest swim suit immodest).

Thanks, Maria. Maybe I will have her try a tankini at Land's End, although it's not so much the modesty with the tankinis as she hates how they float up to the top of the water.

Do you know why the pickings are so slim right now at Land's End and LLBean as far as b. suits? I thought this was prime buying time and they don't have many!

I bought (in Jan.) the Land's End tankini (on clearance) for my 7 dd in a slim size. They have bathing suits in slims! She wore it in a friends hot tub and the top fit like a glove (didn't float up) and it covered her torso completely. I don't think my dd has a long torso but she does outgrow her tops before her bottoms and she is very skinny!! If you get a Lands End swimsuit and it doesn't work out you can always return it at Sears. You might check and see if they get any slims in the stores. There online size charts have measurements that are helpful in determining size.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/EmbroideredTankini~181486_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BJX&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000421&origin=index

How about one of those one piece UV suits? My 10 yo loves them as she is quite modest (but does wear the team suit when they race.) She gets the shorts & t-shirt kind, though. Long t shirts. There are a variety of brands that make this, but if you prefer made in the USA, you can get them at http://www.solareclipse.com . Ds has a swim shirt we bought from them and we've been happy with it so far. Seems more durable than whatever we bought dd last from some other company, too.

I have been with them on the phone again today after doing her measurements-the lady even had to ask another service person for advice because the measurements were so weird! They spent a lot of time and were so very friendly-ended up she had to go down to a SEVEN regular to get the right fit-even the 8 slims were too big in the body-but apparently they all run big anyway. So they were even more amazing help on the second phone call! I ended up ordering two to see which one will fit better. They were wonderful!! I hope one fits!