Menu

Kicking, screaming, wanting to kick myself!

I am not sure why I do this to myself...but I always do. *sigh*

In December, I had it "all planned out" and started buying curriculum for next fall. I bought lots of great stuff - had a whole box full and was only missing Science and Latin. YAY!

Not Yay. In the last week, I have changed my mind and sold almost everything I had chosen. LLATL went out the window for CLE LA (older ds) and WP LA (younger ds). SOTW is headed out the door for Sonlight Core 3. I changed our plan to use NOEO next year for Sonlight Science 2 or 3 (not decided which yet). I sold Homer and Poetry because ds was just....not....thriving. It was too much for him and I *get* that now. We are starting WWE instead. I ditched GWG for both kids....the list goes on.

However, now I am sitting here looking at this empty box and realizing I now have few funds and no curriculum. :( I really think I might cry...if only I was naive enough to think that would help.

Thanks for letting me vent. :glare:

:grouphug:

I did this to myself two years ago trying to switch from WTM to MODG. Two weeks into the school year, we were all in tears and I got rid of all of it and hodge-podged stuff together with what little funds I could scrounge up, what little I could salvage or sell, and some stuff I had saved from used book sales. It hurt!

Oh, and I am now rebuying some of the stuff I ditched to make that ill-fated switch! Ouch!

Hope it works out better for you. It will all be a distant memory by the fall hopefully.

Ouch! CW Homer for a 9yo could definitely be overwhelming.

BTDT on the reselling. I still have to be really careful and think things through before I purchase something. It does get better as you learn what works for your children. Not selling things too quickly is another thing to consider. I have repurchased more than one curriculum I thought wasn't for us but it really was what we needed.

Maybe this is a good year to try homeschooling on a shoe string. With your children still being young, schooling can be done very bare bones and low key and still be fruitful.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Rebecca, ((((hugs))))

If it makes you feel any better, I bought MFW K & 1st grade twice and sold it both times.

I have done a full circle and ended up using what I started (had to purchase again) out with.

My oldest is going to be in 6th grade and I finally feel comfortable with what we are using. Poor guy, we are half way through his schooling and he has gone through so much curriculum that it's not even funny.

Sometimes a good cry does help;) after evaluate what you have and make it work. If funds are low, use what you have.

If you already own CLE & WP for LA, Sonlight 3 for History and maybe science, WWE for writing, that's a good start.

I really think I might cry...if only I was naive enough to think that would help.

Oh, go ahead, it just may.

:grouphug:

I also started purchasing early. I knew what I wanted, ordered it, received it, loved it and still found myself changing my mind! For three weeks, The Box was in my car because I was going to take it to the post office to send it back. Oh, I don't know why... just because it was different and I was feeling clingy, thinking I should stick with the familiar. In the meantime, I placed and soon canceled an order from another company. I ended up letting my 30 days (for returns) pass, brought The Box back inside, opened it up again, loved it again. :tongue_smilie:

Please tell me we all get crazy sometimes.

Someone should start a poll!!

That's exactly why I never resell anything unless we've actually finished the program! You just never know when you're going to need it. For example, I bought the complete Latin's Not So Tough program for my son during our first year of homeschooling. We got through level three, decided we didn't like it, and then switched to Spanish. Then we quit Spanish and went back to Latin, but I bought Latina Christiana. Fast forward a few years later, and my daughter hates Latina Christiana and needed a break after completing the first half of the second book. So I drag out the Latin's Not So Tough, and she thinks it's great. See? I finally got my money's worth out of that initial purchase! I just had to wait seven years, that's all. :tongue_smilie:

However, now I am sitting here looking at this empty box and realizing I now have few funds and no curriculum. :( I really think I might cry...if only I was naive enough to think that would help.

Oh, :grouphug:! I've bought Writing Strands -- the whole set -- and sold it, twice.

There's this story about a new junior executive in a stock trading company or some such thing, who is given the chance to make some major decisions, and loses his company huge amounts by bad timing. He is absolutely convinced he is going to be fired but when he goes in the next day, his boss says, "Fire you? I've just spend five million dollars to educate you!"

We are teaching ourselves how to do this homeschool thing, and you just paid your first year's tuition to Homeschool Teacher College. :001_smile:

Although it might not make you feel any better, you are definitely not alone. I now try to write down the things I think I want on the white board over my desk. I try not to buy anything until about Feb. or March for the upcoming year. By doing this, I have eliminated lots of things I bought and didn't use.

Now, in reality, I still buy things I don't really need and have enough curriculum and books to get my dc's in Harvard without spending another dime. There is just something about changing around that I like and I try this and that, not always with success. I am trying to restrain myself somewhat as I have gotten older and my learning room has gotten more jammed. I wish I could tell you it works perfectly but it doesn't. I am trying though.

I’ve done almost this same thing year after year, which is why I won’t buy anything new anymore. I’ll read about a great curriculum that I just have to have. It’s like I want to sample everything to make sure I have the best. For awhile, I would keep selling books, so I could buy more, but now I do hang on to lots of things. My homeschooling friends love me because I have so much to lend out.

because I've changed my mind so many times over the summer.

My stuff comes at the end of August and I have no chance to second guess myself.

BUT...I have also sold and rebought the same materials.

OR...bought 3 or 4 copies of a math book because it worked so great with one kid and then realized it was a disaster for the rest of the family.

I'm sorry you're going through it now!

Larissa

homeschooling 5 in NJ

I've done the same thing, I'd like to say I'm learning, but I did it again this year! I've bought and resold GWG twice, R&S grammar twice, I currently have WWE, WS, IEW and CW sitting on my shelves. :) And, I'm out of money now too! It's hard to decide on something without seeing it and hearing about how great it is from others.

But, I have friends that will help me stay the path if I ask them to help me. :) They, too, like to see all my stuff to help them make their descions, lol!

See, I am one of these that will typically buy used. UNLESS the curriculum publisher puts it into a big "SET" and all but sticks a big red bow on top. Then, I get it in my mind that I need this NEW and I need it NOW. Dh is none so pleased with my impulse buying...hence the reason my credit card was cancelled when I paid it off two months ago. :(

I have purchased and sold Spelling Power. Then I re-bought it and we are using it now.

I bought Writing Strands, tried to sell it, it didn't sell, I used it again, realized I really DID hate it, and finally sold it. LOL

Maybe I can make some money when I sell NOEO Physics in another 3 months!...but then I will inevitably later re-buy it when my younger is in 3rd grade and I have exhausted our interests in Sonlight Science. I am...a....curriculum...junkie.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I've done this too, not with curriculum (yet), but with other books so you have my complete sympathy. Now I try to hold onto everything because I'm never sure if I'll change my mind again & come back to it. That said, I did just give away all my "curricula mistakes" to a new homeschooling mom on Freecycle (many brand new books!). While I'm kind of kicking myself (I'd been holding onto those books to sell at some point & with DH about to lose his job, money is sure to be tight!), I'm also trying to tell myself that it was a 'good deed,' so I need to just relax. :(